Working notice at a job

basically i am desperate to leave my job non lorry/haulage based everything about it is beyond rubbish i have to work a months notice i cant see any haulage company will wait a month for me to start especially as im a newbie can i legally just walk away from my job with out losing my basic monthly wage ?

Need to check your contract of employment

You are legally bound by a contract, however it is rarely worth an employer’s time and money to sue if you breach a contract by failing to work out a notice. Of course, they don’t have to pay you for the time if you haven’t worked it.
In these situations most employers will be reasonable if you talk to them and ask if you can leave after 4 weeks rather than at the end of the formal notice period.
If you do leave without working your notice then you risk getting a bad reputation. Depending on what you do, this bad reputation may follow you around and affect your opportunities for future employment.
Finally, you signed the contract and voluntarily accepted the obligation to work per the contract. If you break the contract you are breaking your word, which is to behave in an untrustworthy way and is a morally bad thing to do. Better to to talk to your current employer and see if they will let you leave early. If they say no then speak to your future employer.

Technically you can walk out anytime you want, problem is the after effects.

You’ll not get a good reference, they’ll not be under obligation to pay you from moment you left.

Also could be classed as dereliction of duty so any pension/benefits could be lost.

Can’t you use any unused leave in lieu of notice if you get a driving job? That way maybe only a week or so any new employer is waiting

There is no legal obligation to work your notice. You are perfectly entitled to say I am giving you a month’s notice, but not driving your vehicle anymore, nor doing any more work for you.

Slavery was abolished a long time ago and you are a free agent. No good making yourself bad with a crap job. If you monthly paid just persist till end of month till your money is in the bank and don’t go back, if it really getting to you.

i have a full time job at a car dealership and a part time job at a car auction i dont give a hoot about the dealership job they can go and ■■■■ them selves for all i care the car auction job will happily give me a reference

A prospective employer worth working for will ask about notice period and honour it, that same employer will not want someone who treats their previous employer in such a cavalier fashion, for obvious reasons.

In practice some companies will pay you off soon as you put the notice in.

peewee:
basically i am desperate to leave my job non lorry/haulage based everything about it is beyond rubbish i have to work a months notice i cant see any haulage company will wait a month for me to start especially as im a newbie can i legally just walk away from my job with out losing my basic monthly wage ?

Whilst they don’t have the right to withhold your pay or your holiday pay for the time you’ve worked, they would have the legal right to sue you for breach of contract. That can include losses plus costs for hiring temporary staff to cover the notice period you didn’t work. Any employer wanting a reference from your last employer is not going to be impressed with having “just sodded off without working his notice” on the reference. And before you say they can’t legally give you a bad reference, yes they can as long as it is factually correct.

I was even nice enough to give my last agency a weeks notice when leaving for a full time job. My new employer was fine with me starting a week later. The agency had been good to me ever since i got my licence a few years back and i have had a couple of full time jobs in between so i never burn my bridge with them.

Just do your basic hrs min work

mrginge:
I was even nice enough to give my last agency a weeks notice when leaving for a full time job. My new employer was fine with me starting a week later. The agency had been good to me ever since i got my licence a few years back and i have had a couple of full time jobs in between so i never burn my bridge with them.

As did i, and they never gave me another shift from the moment i gave them notice, which i had great pleasure in reminding them about (and their snotty attitude, and their lack of back holiday pay till i witheld the last weeks tachos) every time they called me over the next few years trying to get me to work for them again.

nick2008:
Just do your basic hrs min work

i do that anyway got no chance of overtime i just want to get out of the job im in asap as soon as i got another job

Depends on your type of job, our council insists on three months notice as does some of the motor industry. Some employers seem happy to wait the three months if the candidate appears to be suitable, my neighbour has just done that with no problems on either side.

Pete.

windrush:
Depends on your type of job, our council insists on three months notice as does some of the motor industry. Some employers seem happy to wait the three months if the candidate appears to be suitable, my neighbour has just done that with no problems on either side.

Pete.

only gotta give a months notice but as im a newbie to hgv driving i cant see a company waiting a month for me to start and the fact i dont want to wait a month as death would be more of a pleasent experience than the job im in

peewee:
i have a full time job at a car dealership and a part time job at a car auction i dont give a hoot about the dealership job they can go and [zb] them selves for all i care the car auction job will happily give me a reference

I know a couple of tipper drivers who are ex car salesmen. They’ve both told me that if you put notice in in sales, they prefer you to go almost straight away so you don’t nick contacts, sales leads etc. When I’ve had a month notice period I used holiday entitlement. I couldn’t work a months notice, too soul destroying.

Muckaway:

peewee:
i have a full time job at a car dealership and a part time job at a car auction i dont give a hoot about the dealership job they can go and [zb] them selves for all i care the car auction job will happily give me a reference

I know a couple of tipper drivers who are ex car salesmen. They’ve both told me that if you put notice in in sales, they prefer you to go almost straight away so you don’t nick contacts, sales leads etc. When I’ve had a month notice period I used holiday entitlement. I couldn’t work a months notice, too soul destroying.

im only a lowly valeter/driver

The company I work for made me do 4 weeks notice to move to a dif area of the company

Unless you’re in a high profile job 4 weeks is unreasonable. If a company can’t replace a driver in 4 weeks them chamces are it’s a crap job.

I was given a months notice from my last job and worked it in full as I never wanted to leave anyway! :laughing:

Pete.

Is a month what they say, or does it say it in your contract as already asked? were I am they say its a month, but it doesnt say a month in the contract, minimum is 1 week for upto 2 years working their.

Talk to them, tell the truth, they will respect you for it.
Paul