Working/loading during breaks

Just out of intrest does anybody put there taco on break whilst unloading or loading cleary knowing they can be stationery at that particular location its just I dont like doing but my boss says I get paid for my breaks so he expects me to do it and says its the only way to get things done… so I thought to myself oh! should I tell vosa that in the event I get pulled in a check point

Yeah tell VOSA they understand the pressure from the boss you are under and will be okay with it.

Aslong as you aren’t involved in the loading and unloading then there is no problem

Coffeeholic:
Yeah tell VOSA they understand the pressure from the boss you are under and will be okay with it.

:laughing:

Berty:
Just out of intrest does anybody put there taco on break whilst unloading or loading cleary knowing they can be stationery at that particular location its just I dont like doing but my boss says I get paid for my breaks so he expects me to do it and says its the only way to get things done… so I thought to myself oh! should I tell vosa that in the event I get pulled in a check point

I do sometimes put it on break if it suits me but then again most of my unloading is done by someone else whilst I’m laying on the bunk but on the odd occasion I have to jump in the back with a pallet truck then no it’ll always be on other work.

Nobody helps with my loading cus u need an ipaf licence to operate the machines so yes its all me doing the loading

Coffeeholic:

You can’t be serious! Iv never been stopped in my 6 years of truck driving so honestly I wouldn’t know

Berty:
Nobody helps with my loading cus u need an ipaf licence to operate the machines so yes its all me doing the loading

come on :unamused: Seriously?

F-reds:

Berty:

come on :unamused: Seriously?

Absolutely

Berty:

So you’re daft to put it break then aren’t you.

bald bloke:

Berty:

So you’re daft to put it break then aren’t you.

Yes totally agree with you but like I said I dont like doing it but im pressured into doing it and it seems to be common practice amongst our other drivers…

Illegal. Don’t do it. If the boss insists - tell him to put it in writing…

if they don’t believe you,then tell them that your boss says its ok,so it must be…and that you unload when its on break,so you just make a cuppa tea and eat your chits whilst driving to make up the time…sounds fair enough to me?? :unamused:

Phew.

What happens when you’re off road in a private loading area is one thing, but outside in public areas you’re leaving yourself wide open should a passing wheeltapper decide to have a look at your tacho/digi card whilst, or just after, watching you working while its been on break.

If you only show breaks and no other-work time (POA addicts can come unstuck here too) a wheeltapper at a checkpoint will take a dim view.

Berty:

Coffeeholic:

You can’t be serious! Iv never been stopped in my 6 years of truck driving so honestly I wouldn’t know

I think they only pull the guilty looking drivers, i was last stopped about 16 years ago.

Juddian:
Phew.

What happens when you’re off road in a private loading area is one thing, but outside in public areas you’re leaving yourself wide open should a passing wheeltapper decide to have a look at your tacho/digi card whilst, or just after, watching you working while its been on break.

If you only show breaks and no other-work time (POA addicts can come unstuck here too) a wheeltapper at a checkpoint will take a dim view.

They regularly patrol private loading areas apparently, the likes of aldi/lidl are targeted now and then so ive heard, and a at a site in kent has one in there now and then as well, the kind security guard warned me he was there when I arrived.

I did it all the time when working in the centre of London, you could only get a 30min on a loading bay/area as you can’t really park anywhere else. After doing the deliveries and getting out of the M25 area it was pretty normal for me to then sit in the services for over an hour after smashing the work out in 10hr.

Don’t need to do it in my current job though, maybe throw a 15min when waiting to tip (I do bulk tipper work) but after that i can pull over when need be in the services.

The Sarge:

then wonder why your looking for another job next week… :neutral_face:

Berty:
I dont like doing but my boss says I get paid for my breaks so he expects me to do it and says its the only way to get things done… so I thought to myself oh! should I tell vosa that in the event I get pulled in a check point

I get paid for breaks. If they find out I’ve been doing it I won’t be asked back.

If its the only way to get things done then he’s not complying with the requirements of an O license, that you have to schedule work as to not put undue pressure on a driver to break the law.

Stop doing it. As long as you continue to he’ll expect you to.

dieseldog999:

The Sarge:

then wonder why your looking for another job next week… :neutral_face:

How good do you think it looks when you sack someone because they refuse to break the law? Certainly if I were in his shoes and they sacked me, first call would be the traffic commissioner.