Working hours

Just want to clarify is the 60 maximum week and 90 fortnightly is hours worked and not wheels turning ( re typed ,typo )

You’re confusing two sets of rules.

60hrs working in a week is Working Time Directive and includes time spent driving or on other work, not POA or break.

90hrs in a fortnight is EU Drivers Hours rules and that relates to driving time only.

toonsy:

60hrs working in a week is Working Time Directive and includes time spent driving or on other work, not POA or break.

90hrs in a fortnight is EU Drivers Hours rules and that relates to doing time only.

Typo there might be more accurate than intended! [emoji3]

Franglais:

toonsy:

90hrs in a fortnight is EU Drivers Hours rules and that relates to doing time only.

Typo there might be more accurate than intended! [emoji3]

Spotted and corrected :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends were you work, some companies want 90hrs week just to earn decent wage… :smiley:

Jaybarn:
Just want to clarify is the 60 maximum week and 90 fortnightly is hours worked and not wheels turning ( re typed ,typo )

You’ve got two sets of rules there.

The 60hr limit is the working time directive and includes all time that is not a break, daily rest or period of availability.

The 90 fortnightly hours is driving time and only includes the time the wheels are moving.

So i have a question, sorry OP for hijacking this.

After seeing how much other drivers on here post and complain about the hours worked in a week for a poor wage (not my opinion at all but im yet to start driving) But from what i see advertised the wages dont seem to tragic and ■■■■ site more than im on now…
Anyway back to the question

If by law you can only work 48 hours a week (Average) over a 17 week period and the road transport industry cannot opt out…
where are these 60/70 hours weeks coming so many people complain about coming from?
and surely you must have to have a lot of time of regular to offset the average hours if this is the case?

Unless I have completely missed something in my revision for my theory this is confusing me.

krisregt7518:
So i have a question, sorry OP for hijacking this.

After seeing how much other drivers on here post and complain about the hours worked in a week for a poor wage (not my opinion at all but im yet to start driving) But from what i see advertised the wages dont seem to tragic and ■■■■ site more than im on now…
Anyway back to the question

If by law you can only work 48 hours a week (Average) over a 17 week period and the road transport industry cannot opt out…
where are these 60/70 hours weeks coming so many people complain about coming from?
and surely you must have to have a lot of time of regular to offset the average hours if this is the case?

Unless I have completely missed something in my revision for my theory this is confusing me.

The introduction of POA means that you can be in the lorry waiting to get tipped yet it won’t count as working time, working time is only classed as when you’re driving or doing other work, the rest or POA don’t count towards your working time so a 12 hour day with 3 hours spent waiting to get tipped plus your 45 minute break and you’ve only worked for just over 8 hours

On so next question,

Why set your taco to POA or break if your waiting to be tipped, your arnt on a break as surely you are moving up a que and you certainly arnt availible because your lorry is full so you can’t do anything but wait to be tipped?
Surely you are working although not driving, so if you unload the lorry yourself you arnt on a break it’s set to other work, that’s no different to sitting waiting for someone else to unload you? I would presume a break is defined as you are able to leave the lorry and do ‘anything’ you like in that break period as your not getting paid, if your waiting…that’s not possible?

But then I suppose your not getting paid for your waiting time if it’s on break so catch 22.

Again I’m presuming and having no experience at all stand to be corrected??
Thanks

If I’m not working I’m either on break or POA. Whichever way you look at it sitting on your bunk playing on your phone isn’t work. Impossible to police either way.

krisregt7518:
On so next question,

Why set your taco to POA or break if your waiting to be tipped, your arnt on a break as surely you are moving up a que and you certainly arnt availible because your lorry is full so you can’t do anything but wait to be tipped?

When you’re sat in the queue waiting to be tipped, do you read a book, ■■■■ about with the interweb on your phone, tilt the seat back and chill? If so put it on break. It doesn’t need to be 15 minutes/30 minutes or 45 minutes, even for example 4 minutes on break is 4 minutes that doesn’t count towards your 60 hour weekly maximum. I personally do not use POA but probably have 4 to 5 hours a day on break. It all comes off the total mate.

But do you get paid for your time spent on break?
I would have thought they would want to deduct all the break times they can to save money?

krisregt7518:
I would have thought they would want to deduct all the break times they can to save money?

That depends on the terms of employment. Some companies don’t lay breaks, some deduct 45 mins etc. I get paid through so doesn’t matter to me how long the tacho is on rest. Like Maoster I can be sat for 4/5hrs in a day waiting for something or other, its in my interest to keep my average down.

krisregt7518:

Yeah I’ll concede that probably happens at some places. I get paid off what I put on my time sheet, no deductions at all, so it suits me.

Thanks for the replies, at the end of the day I imagine it’s frustrating waiting so long to be unloaded when that’s the only thing holding your day up. But sitting there getting paid to do naff all sounds good to me.

Suppose it’s part of job, I’m not a big moaner and tend to take the rough with the smooth. Always believed that if you arnt happy then change it. We work to live, we don’t live to work so never really understand people moaning about their jobs. Venting is a part of human nature…but the way I’ve seen some complaining on these forums is almost comical.

People can complain about the job times/wages etc but won’t change jobs, is that because they can’t do anything else? They can’t be bothered doing anything else cause actually the job isn’t as bad as they make out? Or actually the pay is good enough and they can’t earn the same doing another job?

I go to work…I come home to my family and forget about everything else. As long as my bills are paid, roof above my head and food in my belly I’m a happy man.

I know this was a working time thread so sorry for hijacking it and half making it about the people who moan about the hours, just wasn’t sure how the 48 hour week turned into 60/70.was beginning to think truckers exaggerated more than fishermen.

krisregt7518:
just wasn’t sure how the 48 hour week turned into 60/70.was beginning to think truckers exaggerated more than fishermen.

Get your licence then join the wonderful world of Lorry Driving. Come back in 20 years and join a trucking forum as Ill bet my house that in those 20 years you will have seen a massive change and deteriation in both working conditions and regulation.

And YOU will be the generation getting accused of “exaggerating more than fishermen”

BTW as a footnote who the hell wants to work 60 plus hours (from start of shift to end of shift is work to me regardless howlong in a que to tip you are in)
You should have in the year 2020 a living wage for reasonable working hours.

msgyorkie:

krisregt7518:
just wasn’t sure how the 48 hour week turned into 60/70.was beginning to think truckers exaggerated more than fishermen.

Get your licence then join the wonderful world of Lorry Driving. Come back in 20 years and join a trucking forum as Ill bet my house that in those 20 years you will have seen a massive change and deteriation in both working conditions and regulation.

And YOU will be the generation getting accused of “exaggerating more than fishermen”

BTW as a footnote who the hell wants to work 60 plus hours (from start of shift to end of shift is work to me regardless howlong in a que to tip you are in)

i’ve been hgv-ing 41 years so far…the last 10 years have been better than the 10 years previous to that!

msgyorkie:

krisregt7518:

Sorry if I offended you with the fisherman comment, it wasn’t intended and actually I meant that I stood corrected as initially I had thought there was some exaggeration about the hours due to my misunderstanding of the taco.

You seem venomous about saying see if I’m saying the same in 20 years, but if it’s that bad why have you not got yourself a new career? Again not a dig or no offence intended at all, a genuine question.

Ov course people don’t want to work 60 hours a week, but you wouldn’t become a driver expecting not to get stuck in traffic or hit delays? You wouldn’t be a copper and expect to not get ■■■■ of people, or a nurse to not get covered in blood/vomit etc.

I’m just saying that EVERY job has its pros and cons, people love to point out the cons over the pros though.

But again sorry if I caused offence.

Conor:

Jaybarn:

You’ve got two sets of rules there.

The 60hr limit is the working time directive and includes all time that is not a break, daily rest or period of availability.

The 90 fortnightly hours is driving time and only includes the time the wheels are moving.

Thanks for that and the help that’s cleared things up nicely

krisregt7518:

msgyorkie:

krisregt7518:

Sorry if I offended you with the fisherman comment, it wasn’t intended and actually I meant that I stood corrected as initially I had thought there was some exaggeration about the hours due to my misunderstanding of the taco.

You seem venomous about saying see if I’m saying the same in 20 years, but if it’s that bad why have you not got yourself a new career? Again not a dig or no offence intended at all, a genuine question.

Ov course people don’t want to work 60 hours a week, but you wouldn’t become a driver expecting not to get stuck in traffic or hit delays? You wouldn’t be a copper and expect to not get [zb] of people, or a nurse to not get covered in blood/vomit etc.

I’m just saying that EVERY job has its pros and cons, people love to point out the cons over the pros though.

But again sorry if I caused offence.

No offence is taken.
I am now 50 years old and in the process of retraining. I took my GCSE English back in March and I’m waiting for this covid to pass so I can sit GCSE maths.
I have 18 years left before retirement so if I can get a nice cushy civil service job then that’s a golden pension thrown in as well.
I’ll leave this garbage to the glory hunters and wheel polishers