Working hours

krisregt7518:
Thanks for the replies, at the end of the day I imagine it’s frustrating waiting so long to be unloaded when that’s the only thing holding your day up. But sitting there getting paid to do naff all sounds good to me.

Not when you’re sat there knowing it’s cutting into the time you get to sit at home and in fact, even cutting into how much sleep you get.

Lets say you go home every day from work and it’s a 30 minute commute. The advice is 8hrs sleep a day so with your commute that’s 9hrs. You can legally work up to 15hrs a day with 9hrs off. So when you have one of those days you’re spending hours “getting paid for doing nothing” you’ve got 9hrs off to do a 30 minute drive home, have a shower, get something to eat, get 8hrs sleep, get up, have a wash/shave, get some breakfast, get your pack lunch etc together and drive 30 minutes to work. The maths doesn’t add up does it so what gets cut? Your sleep. Even with an 11hr regular daily rest period it’s tight to do all that lot and get a full 8hrs sleep.

And all because some tossers decided to waste your time during the day and have you sat there for an hour whilst they’re messing about instead of working unloading lorries.

krisregt7518:
If by law you can only work 48 hours a week (Average) over a 17 week period and the road transport industry cannot opt out…
where are these 60/70 hours weeks coming so many people complain about coming from?
and surely you must have to have a lot of time of regular to offset the average hours if this is the case?

Unless I have completely missed something in my revision for my theory this is confusing me.

The clue is ‘average’ which means the total divided by 17.
Plenty of scope for a lot of 70,60, and 50 hour weeks in that more than 800 hours total.Too much scope as usual with laughable EU hours regs.

Conor:
Lets say you go home every day from work and it’s a 30 minute commute. The advice is 8hrs sleep a day so with your commute that’s 9hrs. You can legally work up to 15hrs a day with 9hrs off. So when you have one of those days you’re spending hours “getting paid for doing nothing” you’ve got 9hrs off to do a 30 minute drive home, have a shower, get something to eat, get 8hrs sleep, get up, have a wash/shave, get some breakfast, get your pack lunch etc together and drive 30 minutes to work. The maths doesn’t add up does it so what gets cut? Your sleep. Even with an 11hr regular daily rest period it’s tight to do all that lot and get a full 8hrs sleep.

And all because some tossers decided to waste your time during the day and have you sat there for an hour whilst they’re messing about instead of working unloading lorries.

More like saving the wages of sufficient warehouse staff.
Look on the bright side.
It could be 4 or 6 hours driving and the rest of the shift working as a warehouse labourer to save the money of hiring warehouse staff.
Basically the job can be done in less than 12 hours.Preferably maxing out driving time every shift.
If not they’re avin a larf at the driver’s expense.Too much time spent waiting, loading, tipping.Not enough time out on the road and not enough at home living and sleeping.

msgyorkie:

krisregt7518:

msgyorkie:

krisregt7518:
just wasn’t sure how the 48 hour week turned into 60/70.was beginning to think truckers exaggerated more than fishermen.

Get your licence then join the wonderful world of Lorry Driving. Come back in 20 years and join a trucking forum as Ill bet my house that in those 20 years you will have seen a massive change and deteriation in both working conditions and regulation.

And YOU will be the generation getting accused of “exaggerating more than fishermen”

BTW as a footnote who the hell wants to work 60 plus hours (from start of shift to end of shift is work to me regardless howlong in a que to tip you are in)
You should have in the year 2020 a living wage for reasonable working hours.

Sorry if I offended you with the fisherman comment, it wasn’t intended and actually I meant that I stood corrected as initially I had thought there was some exaggeration about the hours due to my misunderstanding of the taco.

You seem venomous about saying see if I’m saying the same in 20 years, but if it’s that bad why have you not got yourself a new career? Again not a dig or no offence intended at all, a genuine question.

Ov course people don’t want to work 60 hours a week, but you wouldn’t become a driver expecting not to get stuck in traffic or hit delays? You wouldn’t be a copper and expect to not get [zb] of people, or a nurse to not get covered in blood/vomit etc.

I’m just saying that EVERY job has its pros and cons, people love to point out the cons over the pros though.

But again sorry if I caused offence.

No offence is taken.
I am now 50 years old and in the process of retraining. I took my GCSE English back in March and I’m waiting for this covid to pass so I can sit GCSE maths.
I have 18 years left before retirement so if I can get a nice cushy civil service job then that’s a golden pension thrown in as well.
I’ll leave this garbage to the glory hunters and wheel polishers

A “cushy civil service job, with a golden pension”?
I wish you luck in your search.
But have you been reading 1950’s editions of the Daily Mail?
So many of those jobs are long gone.
Privatised, farmed out, and/or made more efficient in the name of cost cutting.
If you know of one though, good on ya.

msgyorkie:
I have 18 years left before retirement so if I can get a nice cushy civil service job then that’s a golden pension thrown in as well.
I’ll leave this garbage to the glory hunters and wheel polishers

You’re assuming they don’t move the goalposts again!

Conor:

krisregt7518:
Thanks for the replies, at the end of the day I imagine it’s frustrating waiting so long to be unloaded when that’s the only thing holding your day up. But sitting there getting paid to do naff all sounds good to me.

Not when you’re sat there knowing it’s cutting into the time you get to sit at home and in fact, even cutting into how much sleep you get.

Don’t take 9 hours off, I am sure everyone has 8 hours kip a day NOT, most get by on average of 6 hours, I a, sure some guys who are being tipped for 4 hours get an hour or 2 sleep … long hours are part and parcel of truck driving … most drivers might have a decent other half who sorts out lunch etc.

Franglais:
[

A “cushy civil service job, with a golden pension”?
I wish you luck in your search.
But have you been reading 1950’s editions of the Daily Mail?
So many of those jobs are long gone.
Privatised, farmed out, and/or made more efficient in the name of cost cutting.
If you know of one though, good on ya.

The jobs are still there Franglais. But you have to be employed direct with The Civil Service. This covers a lot, from Mod to the Environment Agency.
I have my eye on a few jobs at my local RAF base.

discoman:
Don’t take 9 hours off, I am sure everyone has 8 hours kip a day NOT, most get by on average of 6 hours

Until the inevitable result of that means a charge of causing death by dangerous driving then you’ll change sides to bringing the full weight of the law down on the unfortunate mug.

Carryfast:

discoman:
Don’t take 9 hours off, I am sure everyone has 8 hours kip a day NOT, most get by on average of 6 hours

Until the inevitable result of that means a charge of causing death by dangerous driving then you’ll change sides to bringing the full weight of the law down on the unfortunate mug.

Point is, if the legal rest is 11 hours, drivers are mugs if they allow the employer to reduce rest to 9 hours. Am merely stating a lot of drivers and other professions get by on 6/7 hours sleep a night … most, DBDD, are caused by drink drivers, phones, drugs etc … prove fatigue caused a death is very hard … no different from a driver having a day off, can’t sleep , and get 1 to 2 hours before a 4 am start. All jobs it happens.

discoman:

Carryfast:

discoman:

Point is, if the legal rest is 11 hours, drivers are mugs if they allow the employer to reduce rest to 9 hours. Am merely stating a lot of drivers and other professions get by on 6/7 hours sleep a night … most, DBDD, are caused by drink drivers, phones, drugs etc … prove fatigue caused a death is very hard … no different from a driver having a day off, can’t sleep , and get 1 to 2 hours before a 4 am start. All jobs it happens.

Just like this case.
We all know that if no mechanical issue or other explanation is found they’ll start investigating the driver’s rest regime.They’ll obviously differentiate sleep patterns from just having complied with daily rest rules as part of that.
Obviously even to the point of investigating phone records.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1703935.stm

So subtracting a commute etc etc from a recorded 9 hour rest period will be no problem if/when the idea goes pear shaped.Complying with hours regs is no defence to a charge of falling asleep at the wheel.

Reduced rest period at most should only apply to tramping taken in the vehicle and should be compensated for by being added to the following daily rest period and the law are being at best complicit in putting the onus on drivers, in not calling on the government for that rule.

Carryfast:

discoman:

Carryfast:

discoman:

Just like this case.
We all know that if no mechanical issue or other explanation is found they’ll start investigating the driver’s rest regime.They’ll obviously differentiate sleep patterns from just having complied with daily rest rules as part of that.
Obviously even to the point of investigating phone records.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1703935.stm

So subtracting a commute etc etc from a recorded 9 hour rest period will be no problem if/when the idea goes pear shaped.Complying with hours regs is no defence to a charge of falling asleep at the wheel.

Reduced rest period at most should only apply to tramping taken in the vehicle and should be compensated for by being added to the following daily rest period and the law are being at best complicit in putting the onus on drivers, in not calling on the government for that rule.

Lack of sleep might be a mitigating factor, but here lies the point and fact.

Drivers are not by law required to sleep for 7/8/9 hours during the legal rest requirement.

Example, your doing a shift start at 6am, sit on dock for 6 hours waiting for a container to be unloaded… you sleep for 4 hours, as some drivers do. You end up on a 15 hour at 9pm you park up. You want to be starting on the road at 6am … you fall off to sleep at 1am, and wake at 5:30am. Pure legal .