Working for Aldi

Anyone with recent experience of working for Aldi? I’ve only just passed my class 2 but have been offered a job at Aldi on class 1 as soon as I pass my test. Just wondered what the work was like, hours/shifts, pay, vehicles etc.

Cheers

Ben

Don’t know if it has changed over the years but before I left the UK it was a rubbish job, they expected all drivers to unload their own trailers and even take the pallets to the stock rooms etc.

If it’s anything like delivering to them it’ll be ■■■■, could be worse, it could be Lidl!

Job is crap mate. I done it for a few weeks on the agency never again. If your on nights you deliver to the stores on your own and unset the alarms. Not my cup of tea

Sounds like some people don’t like some good old fashioned work when they get to a delivery point !!

gunner1983:
Job is crap mate. I done it for a few weeks on the agency never again. If your on nights you deliver to the stores on your own and unset the alarms. Not my cup of tea

just out of curiosity what happens if you have an accident do you just lie there till the next mornin?

Pat Hasler:
they expected all drivers to unload their own trailers

Delivery drivers unloading goods ? The cheek of some people :grimacing:

jossk1990:

gunner1983:

just out of curiosity what happens if you have an accident do you just lie there till the next mornin?

sounds like it

Boo9729:
Sounds like some people don’t like some good old fashioned work when they get to a delivery

Dont mind hard work thank you very much but aldi expect you to do everything. Also a lot of the drivers when i worked there were tipping and loading whilst on break. If that sounds good to you then crack on fella

Yeah I have heard that about having to unload yourself although to be honest that’s not something I’m worried about. I don’t mind a bit of graft at a drop. Not to sure about unsetting alarms etc and letting yourself into stores at night tho. What would happen if a) you fell and had an accident? You’d just lay there undiscovered till the morning. or b) something went wrong when trying to reset the alarm and the store gets burgled once you go? I know its an extreme example but could happen. No doubt it would be your arse on the line for that.

Anyone know what the pay is and what shifts roughly are?

Most of Greggs delivery drivers have to deliver to shops at night on their own. Unlock, turn alarm off, deliver, reset alarm and lock up. All on the stores CCTV too

jossk1990:

gunner1983:

You could just keep a phone on you. Or surely a big company like that would have considered this.

I’ve not worked for Aldi myself, but have delivered to Aldi’s and seen what they do and it looks pretty good to me. Back on the bay, grab the electric pump truck and crack on. Achieve single handedly in 30-40 minutes what would take an RDC hours whilst you sit bored in some rotten waiting room. Know what i’d rather be doing.

Must admit, when I used to drive trucks, I had to help unload.
Seems alot of drivers have got lazy…

to gunner 1983,i agree with you 100%,i used to work for spicers on multi drop work which involved key jobs where you get to a delivery point unlock the premises and switch off the alarm,this was done in the early hours and as you said about accidents my worry was theft,how long would it take to watch a place for a few days before a gang would possibly attack you after watching you unlock and disable the alarm,one place in southampton had thousands of pounds of photo copier machines and that time of morning [4am]there is nobody else about so what chance would one person have against a gang,so i know what you mean,i myself was not happy about it but when you try to explain to your employer they basically laugh at you

I no people who work at Aldis in Swindon the money’s good but the shifts arnt lot of weekends but you are getting a decent pay cheaque if you don’t mind sacralising your weekends
The loading and unloading yourself is correct but in my eyes that’s all part of driving a lorry and I don’t see how people can moan about it if you don’t like working for a living don’t aplie I think there’s to many people out there who think unloading n loading yourself is beneath them there probably the fisks of haulage ( fat idol smelly knackers )

Boo9729:
Sounds like some people don’t like some good old fashioned work when they get to a delivery point !!

Open doors back on bay and Feet up coffee in hand tv on :wink: hard work you know

jossk1990:

gunner1983:

Probably lowest odds of an accident. Most accidents usually occur when there’s more than one person.

Own Account Driver:

jossk1990:

gunner1983:

Probably lowest odds of an accident. Most accidents usually occur when there’s more than one person.

What happens if you trip over a blue wall :slight_smile: :wink:

I don’t agree with loading & unloading trucks, you’re employed to drive so do just that, at most open the curtains/roof/doors…!:slight_smile:

Pimpdaddy:
I don’t agree with loading & unloading trucks, you’re employed to drive so do just that, at most open the curtains/roof/doors…!:slight_smile:

Maybe if you’re in a crash the ambulance driver will take the same view.