Working Christmas day

Am I being silly or do places still need drivers on Christmas day?

The last place i worked at, if you were night shift you would get christmas eve off but you worked christmas day starting around 5pm ( to let the manager go home early ) to trunk down south to get the stuff for the day shift guys to deliver on boxing day !!

at that place every bank holiday etc was a normal working day, including christmas day ( for night shift ) boxing day, new years eve and day !!..and you didnt get a penny extra for working them !! :frowning:

Tooz:
The last place i worked at, if you were night shift you would get christmas eve off but you worked christmas day starting around 5pm ( to let the manager go home early ) to trunk down south to get the stuff for the day shift guys to deliver on boxing day !!

If you don’t mind me asking, were you on double time for that?

Radar19:
Am I being silly or do places still need drivers on Christmas day?

Aye, Santa claus has a few multi drops to do! :sunglasses:

i just edited it and no we had to work it as a normal shift !!

Tooz:
i just edited it and no we had to work it as a normal shift !!

Sod that!

As someone who doesn’t celibrate Xmas (and not everyone does) I’d work on the day if needed.
But most firms won’t pay the premium rates that the bank holiday attracts.

you must be crackers to want to work xmas day :open_mouth: :wink:

If a firm can’t give at least Xmas day and Boxing Day off then I wouldn’t work there.
Christmas is a time for family.

Used to work over Christmas on a regular basis when i was with Milklink.

Double bubble, a massive Christmas cake from a local farmers wife, tips from the farmers (ranging from cash to sweets, booze and even a massive box of fresh veg) and a bit of a party atmosphere.

You can tell cows as much as you like that it’s Christmas but they’ll still produce milk and it still needs collecting!

Boxing Day newspapers mean the news lads have to go in Christmas Night (that was me in the late 80’s, very strange), some food places will need raw materials Boxing Day anyway, then there’s essentials like fuel milk, and most important of all Tescos etc will need to be restocked following the shopping hell of the week before Christmas, when presumably a worldwide famine was forecast judging by the panic buying of mountains of grub and booze.

When i was a kid nowt was open sundays ,working christmas day is propper bollox unless your a nurse etc :unamused:

Yea it was bollox and one boxing day i started at 7am and there were 3 agency drivers standing there doing nothing, so i thought yes i might get sent home…

i ended up doing a 12 hour shift and i heard later that the agency guys were all sent home and they were on time and a half and i was salaried !! :frowning:

thats not a dig at agency drivers BTW !! :grimacing:

Our company issued our latest pay increase last week, we all get an increase in pay per mile (which will make absolutely no difference to my pay for the 6th year running). Among the new pay perks it says a $70.00 bonus will be paid for delivering on Christmas day, now hold on ! Note the term ‘Delivering’ if you are driving to a destination but not actually delivering that day you get nothing :laughing:
I have never and will never work on Christmas day, Americans do not celebrate Boxing day (another day I will not work) and I am amazed how drivers here will actually start work at midnight on Christmas day :open_mouth: NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
In fact this boxing day I will be in England :smiley:

Pat Hasler:
Our company issued our latest pay increase last week, we all get an increase in pay per mile (which will make absolutely no difference to my pay for the 6th year running). Among the new pay perks it says a $70.00 bonus will be paid for delivering on Christmas day, now hold on ! Note the term ‘Delivering’ if you are driving to a destination but not actually delivering that day you get nothing :laughing:
I have never and will never work on Christmas day, Americans do not celebrate Boxing day (another day I will not work) and I am amazed how drivers here will actually start work at midnight on Christmas day :open_mouth: NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
In fact this boxing day I will be in England :smiley:

Is july 4th the big one in the states pat :question: is that classed as a holliday :question:

In my job I get at least Xmas day and Boxing Day,my last job was always pushing us to do Boxing Day and New Year’s Day,in fact they wanted all bank holidays to be worked but you did get double time.
Nearly all my mates get two week off at Xmas and it can be crap if your at a family get together on Boxing Day and have to be at work the day after.

I guess the likes of wisemans will be working ,cows don’t celebrste xmas so will still be supplying milk which still needs collecting

There isn’t enough money to make do that in Britain anyways. I’ve always worked somewhere that closes for two weeks over Christmas and New Year.

Strangely I had 2 Christmas Days when I was living Thailand. But because it didn’t “feel” like Christmas to me I didn’t care. I went to work as per usual, I did go as far as wearing a Santa’s hat but that was more fore the crew and the punters.

My work is construction based so we pretty much shut down over xmas new year.

Alright for you lot - I have to get over to Kiribati on Christmas Eve to start, and then it’s all go for a full 24 hour shift, with a final drop in American Samoa. Always have to watch out for the sneaky kids who nip over from one Samoa to the other, trying to get two prezzies.