Working at cross transport

I Thought I’d share my experience working at Cross Transport in Hamshall incase it helps anyone.
I’ve seen an advert on Indeed paying the following ( direct employment and PAYE)
£175 mon - Fri
£190 Sat
£200 Sun.

So I Thought I’d apply as it seems good. JOB is all Amazon work.
I Got a call from Their Tyseley office and went for an Interview and got offered the job on the spot.

1st day on the JOB I ended up doing 14 hours 35 min.
2nd day on the job 13 hours and 20 min shift
3rd way was 13 hours
4th day 12 hour 30 min
5th day 12 hours

I thought maybe it’s just a bad week let’s see.

Next week exactly the same and the week after a little better but still 13 + hour shifts. They lied to me saying max shift 12 hours.
So at this time I already made my mind up after working out I was earning about 13 pounds per hour that It wasn’t worth it. So what topped it was on my 5th day I would have gone over my 15 hour due to an accident on the M25. So I told them I am unable to do the last collection at XPO Daventry and drop to DPD Hinckley… I was told to Take my Card out and drive. So I just went straight back and walked out.

I was already ■■■■■■ off with the muddy yard full of potholes
and filthy trucks full of Dust and Muck. The dust in the trucks is so bad you can’t put your AC or heaters on as goes straight into your lungs.
I ended up coffing badly after 2 days.

So if anyone is considering working for Cross Transport please do consider the above first and don’t just look at the money.

Maybe better going through Agency as they pay 17 per hour but you will get short shifts. Day rate drivers get the long shifts as it’s cheaper for them.

Jeez. You need a Land Rover there.

Walking away the best thing you’ve ever done matey.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I did 3 weeks at Cross and left last week for similar reasons. They do seem to have a very high turnover of drivers.
Good luck to.your future

After looking at them pictures I’m glad I left lol.
The yard was muddy when wet and dusty when dry.
I remember a Maritime driver coming into the Yard in his shiny clean truck. He looked around, nodded his head and drove straight back out lol.

After that day I never seen a Maritime truck come into the yard again.

Truckulent:
Jeez. You need a Land Rover there.

Walking away the best thing you’ve ever done matey.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thank you

I have managed to find some other pictures online from Google review about cross Transport
I have no idea why someone would wear new blue trainers here but guess it was a big regret.

I went into Bison’s yard in Peterborough once to drop a trailer. That’s all I had to do. Drop and go. Came out looking like Stig of the dump. It was exactly like those pics of Cross’s yard.

Always heard terrible things about Cross. You did the right thing walking. If every driver walked after a week or so, they’d have to buck their ideas up and drag themselves into the 21st century.

I’m a little shocked - in this day and age - they asked you to pull your card and drive though.

ezydriver:
I went into Bison’s yard in Peterborough once to drop a trailer. That’s all I had to do. Drop and go. Came out looking like Stig of the dump. It was exactly like those pics of Cross’s yard.

Always heard terrible things about Cross. You did the right thing walking. If every driver walked after a week or so, they’d have to buck their ideas up and drag themselves into the 21st century.

I’m a little shocked - in this day and age - they asked you to pull your card and drive though.

I am too to be honest. They are clueless and just don’t care . The trucks and trailers are all defective with air ■■■■■■■ out the suzies and battered trailers. When you report a defect it doesn’t get written in the defect book just gets binned so they don’t have to carry out the repairs. Their attitude is it just happened if you get pulled. I’ve seen some really shocking things here and I wasn’t prepared to risk my license. I even got a scolding for not signing the opt out 48h wtd. The so called transport manager didn’t have a clue that we can’t opt out.

No offense to anyone but before ir35 and brexit this place was full of flip flops. They would only employ Eastern European drivers as they didn’t care about breaking rules and drivers working 18 hours shifts. The management’s still hasn’t not snapped out of the bent working practises

Daani:
No offense to anyone but before ir35 and brexit this place was full of flip flops. They would only employ Eastern European drivers as they didn’t care about breaking rules and drivers working 18 hours shifts. The management’s still hasn’t not snapped out of the bent working practises

Out of interest, did you see many EE’s working there?

ezydriver:

Daani:

Before brexit yes 90% were EE drivers. I worked for Bentons so used to see them all the time. After brexit none. There are about 3 Polish drivers and 1 Romanian thats it. The rest are mix of white, Asian and black etc. Probably 50% are Agency drivers.

The mixture of permant staff prob 15% are new passes.
Because so many drivers are leaving they now decided to scrap the 2 year and 1 year experienced drivers rule and recruit new passes. While it’s good for new passes to get experience. They are only doing this hoping they new passes wont leave. Since it will be difficult for them to get decent jobs without having atleast 6 months experience. Cross transport is taking advantage of new passes knowing they won’t leave or walk out. So they are more likely to run bent and have infringements etc.

Daani:

ezydriver:

Daani:

Before brexit yes 90% were EE drivers. I worked for Bentons so used to see them all the time. After brexit none. There are about 3 Polish drivers and 1 Romanian thats it. The rest are mix of white, Asian and black etc. Probably 50% are Agency drivers.

The mixture of permant staff prob 15% are new passes.
Because so many drivers are leaving they now decided to scrap the 2 year and 1 year experienced drivers rule and recruit new passes. While it’s good for new passes to get experience. They are only doing this hoping they new passes wont leave. Since it will be difficult for them to get decent jobs without having atleast 6 months experience. Cross transport is taking advantage of new passes knowing they won’t leave or walk out. So they are more likely to run bent and have infringements etc.

If you worked for Bentons it’s weird, cuz their yard is no different [emoji23]. Want nice job on agency? Have you tried Lineage ? I can give you details if you need, just hit me up. It’s fridge work a mixture of trunking and/or multi drop. The oldest units are probably 66 plate, but the majority are 18+. Oh yes and they have concrete in their yard [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s an endless supply of cheap labour to be exploited heading this way on RAF planes as we speak that this outfit will snap up

Daani:
3rd way was 13 hours
4th day 12 hour 30 min
5th day 12 hours

There can’t be many drivers who would want to work hours like that. That is what the industry needs to wake up to if they are to attract younger people into the job. Perhaps if the law was changed to allow an absolute maximum working week of say 50 hours then hauliers would stop planning work like this.

Harry Monk:

Daani:
3rd way was 13 hours
4th day 12 hour 30 min
5th day 12 hours

There can’t be many drivers who would want to work hours like that. That is what the industry needs to wake up to if they are to attract younger people into the job. Perhaps if the law was changed to allow an absolute maximum working week of say 50 hours then hauliers would stop planning work like this.

+1. These 60+ hour weeks are a joke, it’s all very well pressing the rest or POA button but you are still at work and as a day driver myself, it really doesn’t leave much time once you have eaten, showered, slept etc.

I’m just glad my butler keeps on top of my gaff otherwise I would be screwed.

I’ve seen cleaner building sites :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
And to the OP you did the right thing as pulling card and carrying on is a big no no :imp:

I go past this yard almost daily and it is shocking for real [emoji16]

where is their yard dsm…?

m.a.n rules:
where is their yard dsm…?

It’s in Hams Hall in Coleshill

gotcha, thanks mate just down the road from me in tamworth,paul archer has got a yard there as well has’nt he?..

Shocking beyond measure but my last place in Marchwood, Southampton was the same, if not worse. Lunar-Grade terrain. :unamused: Comments via Brave-search-engine supplies a gruesome grimoire of driver disgruntlements.