Working 6 hours WTD

OK. I’ve worked for 6 hours today. As I understand it, you cannot work 6 hours without taking a 15 mins break. I wanted to put down 6 hours work of overtime and the breaks aren’t paid for. It’s kind of agree that if we do o/t then we put down 6 hours as it’s hardly worth it otherwise. :frowning: So, I was thinking I would put down 6 hours and 15 minutes on my time-sheet. But if I do that amount of work, because the 15 minutes is also counted isn’t it…then I will have ‘worked’ for over 6 hours and between 6 and 9 hours which requires another 15 minutes break. So, in order to get paid for 6 hours work, and in order to not fall foul of the WTD, then I should put down 6.30 minutes work on my time-sheet with 30 minutes being taken off as unpaid. I’ll also be doing a manual entry to that effect. Am I correct about the 6.15 including break meaning I’ve worked over 6 hours for the purposed of the WTD? Thanks.

Why not work 5h 59min and negate the need to show a break?

WTD break cant be added to the start or end of a shift.

Maybe just have 15mins during your shift next time…

[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Seems that you’re making this overly complicated for yourself.

Are you being paid by your time sheet or tacho entry? Did you actually do 6 hours work (with or without breaks)?

Simplest method is a manual (with time sheet to match) of 3 hours work, 30 mins break then another 3 hours work. You get your 6 hours and the tacho is definitely legal.

Mooping:
OK. I’ve worked for 6 hours today. As I understand it, you cannot work 6 hours without taking a 15 mins break. I wanted to put down 6 hours work of overtime and the breaks aren’t paid for. It’s kind of agree that if we do o/t then we put down 6 hours as it’s hardly worth it otherwise. :frowning: So, I was thinking I would put down 6 hours and 15 minutes on my time-sheet. But if I do that amount of work, because the 15 minutes is also counted isn’t it…then I will have ‘worked’ for over 6 hours and between 6 and 9 hours which requires another 15 minutes break. So, in order to get paid for 6 hours work, and in order to not fall foul of the WTD, then I should put down 6.30 minutes work on my time-sheet with 30 minutes being taken off as unpaid. I’ll also be doing a manual entry to that effect. Am I correct about the 6.15 including break meaning I’ve worked over 6 hours for the purposed of the WTD? Thanks.

The regulations don’t say you cannot work 6 hours without a break they say you cannot do more than 6 hours working time without a break, if you book 6 hours you don’t need to book a break.

If you’ve worked 6 hours book 6 hours on your time-sheet and the tachograph and your legal :slight_smile:

edit: If you haven’t actually worked 6 hours you only need to manually enter on the tachograph what hours you actually worked, though some companies will want the time-sheet and tachograph to show the same times.

Work 5:59 = no break for WTD
Work 6:01 = you need a break to start before 6H

Breaks only need to start before the trigger point, not end so you could start your break here at 5:59, have 15 minutes break then 1 minute other work.

trevHCS:

Breaks only need to start before the trigger point, not end so you could start your break here at 5:59, have 15 minutes break then 1 minute other work.

No that’s not correct.

Breaks for the 6 hour rule do not need to start before the 6 hour point, working 6 hours without having or even starting a break is perfectly legal, work 6 hours and one minute without starting a break and you can expect an infringement notice.

RT(WT)R 2005 - Regulations 7

7.—(1) No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break.

As I said before you can work 6 hours without a break you just can’t legally work more than 6 hours without a 15 minute break, the OP can legally book 6 hours work without having to book a break.

There seems to be a conspiracy here to complicate a very simple rule :laughing: :wink:

Legally you’re correct as per the regs.

Trouble is some tacho software like tachomaster seems to trigger infringements if you do exactly 6 hours (and no minutes) rather than the “over 6 hours”. Apparently that software is god, according to some transport managers.

Cant imagine the op sitting there until it clocks over to exactly 6 hours then pulling card unless the bosses really are a-holes about paying to the minute. If they do, I’d find another job quick. :slight_smile:

To the best of my knowledge, You can work 6 hours without a break (If not driving)
You cant take a break at the start or the end of the time. Basically, if you have worked 6 hours, then book that as it is perfectly legal.

A break is exactly that, it is a break between blocks of working time.

So book the 6 hours as it is legal, 6 hours and 1 minute however, would be against WTD :slight_smile:

trevHCS:

Trouble is some tacho software like tachomaster seems to trigger infringements if you do exactly 6 hours (and no minutes) rather than the “over 6 hours”. Apparently that software is god, according to some transport managers.

Cant imagine the op sitting there until it clocks over to exactly 6 hours then pulling card unless the bosses really are a-holes about paying to the minute. If they do, I’d find another job quick. :slight_smile:

They can be a-holes. That’s why I wanted to be sure. I had actually taken 2x15 minute breaks as I wasn’t quite sure how long my work would last for the day. I actually finished it in just under 6 hours. I just wanted everything to be fine as I like my tachograph and time-sheet to match. That’s how I was taught by a previous employer. I haven’t been told anything by this employer how they expect things to be done although they do get nit-picky on occasion and they, the manager don’t really understand tachograph rules. The don’t actually like me doing manual entries but I still do them. I should really have just done a manual entry to 5.59 minutes and not shown a break on my time-sheet.

So to re-cap…I need to have taken 15 minutes before 6 hours and 1 minutes. But if I go over 6 hours and one minutes then you are in the between 6 hours and 9 hours block of time. So then you would need to have taken another 15 minutes? So if you work for 6 hours and 2 minutes then you will need to have taken 30 minutes?

trevHCS:

I’ve never heard of a half decent analysis company issuing an infringement for working 6 hours without a break unless there’s been a company rule in place, but if Tachomaster or any other analysis company do issue an infringement for no reason perhaps it should be queried instead of just being accepted :exclamation:

The regulations on the 6 hour rule are very clear there’s no grey area or room for misunderstanding, you can work up-to 6 hours without a break plain and simple.

While some companies will penalise/discipline drivers for getting to many infringements generally WTD infringements are not particularly serious, however I have to say that any driver who knowingly accepts without query an infringement that they know to be wrong deserves whatever comes their way, I mean if you know your company are issuing infringements for doing nothing wrong why would you not query it :confused:

I’ve posted a link to the regulations further down.

Mooping:
So to re-cap…I need to have taken 15 minutes before 6 hours and 1 minutes. But if I go over 6 hours and one minutes then you are in the between 6 hours and 9 hours block of time. So then you would need to have taken another 15 minutes? So if you work for 6 hours and 2 minutes then you will need to have taken 30 minutes?

As I said before you can work up-to 6 hours without a break, if your working time goes over 6 hours you need a break of at-least 15 minutes to start no later than the 6 hour point and a total of 30 minutes break/breaks if your working time is up-to 9 hours, you need a total of 45 minutes break/breaks if your working time is more than 9 hours.

Here’s some reading on the working time break rules.

The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 - Regulation 7 Breaks

An explanation of the working time break rules.

DVSA Guide to the working time regulations 2005.

tachograph:

trevHCS:

No that’s not correct.

Breaks for the 6 hour rule do not need to start before the 6 hour point, working 6 hours without having or even starting a break is perfectly legal, work 6 hours and one minute without starting a break and you can expect an infringement notice.

As I said before you can work 6 hours without a break you just can’t legally work more than 6 hours without a 15 minute break, the OP can legally book 6 hours work without having to book a break.

There seems to be a conspiracy here to complicate a very simple rule :laughing: :wink:

OK I haven’t yet read the links you provided tachograph but will do. But from what you say above…you can work 6 hours without a break. Once you go over 6 hours 1 minute then you need 15 minutes. At which point do you need to take another 15 minutes? Between 6 and 9 hours…so when does the 6 to 9 hours period begin? After 6 hours and 1 minute again? I thought I totally had this down to a T.

Mooping:

tachograph:

trevHCS:

No that’s not correct.

OK I haven’t yet read the links you provided tachograph but will do. But from what you say above…you can work 6 hours without a break. Once you go over 6 hours 1 minute then you need 15 minutes. At which point do you need to take another 15 minutes? Between 6 and 9 hours…so when does the 6 to 9 hours period begin? After 6 hours and 1 minute again? I thought I totally had this down to a T.

Read the link then ask.

But after 6hrs a total of 30mins is required if you exceed 9hrs then a total of 45 mins is required.

nick2008:

Mooping:

tachograph:

trevHCS:

No that’s not correct.

Read the link then ask.

But after 6hrs a total of 30mins is required if you exceed 9hrs then a total of 45 mins is required.

Why say that…‘Read the link then ask’? We all learn differently and things are said then reinforced by reading. Others prefer to just read. I like a combination of learning. It just happens at this moment I don’t have time to read those links. But I will do later as I said. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

It 6 hours then 15 min break then can continue into your working time reaches 9 hours then need a 30 min break.
Just don’t make mistake I did the other week.
I started at 5 drove for about an hour stoped for 15min break while went in the services got a coffee.
I then carried on with my day stoped about 12 30 . Downloaded my card got an infringement for 6 hrs 20 working with no break.
I totally forgot 6 hours started again from 6 after had my coffee

Mooping:
Why say that…‘Read the link then ask’? We all learn differently and things are said then reinforced by reading. Others prefer to just read. I like a combination of learning. It just happens at this moment I don’t have time to read those links. But I will do later as I said. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Soz mate didn’t mean it to sound negative .
There’s a lot that ask the questions without even attempting to look for an answer.
Otherwise I wouldn’t have continued to post examples. I was just meaning to have a look and read then ask further if unsure.

They just don’t teach things as far as I can make out to newbies.

edd1974:
It 6 hours then 15 min break then can continue into your working time reaches 9 hours then need a 30 min break.

Really ?

tachograph:

Mooping:

The regulations don’t say you cannot work 6 hours without a break they say you cannot do more than 6 hours working time without a break, if you book 6 hours you don’t need to book a break.

If you’ve worked 6 hours book 6 hours on your time-sheet and the tachograph and your legal :slight_smile:

edit: If you haven’t actually worked 6 hours you only need to manually enter on the tachograph what hours you actually worked, though some companies will want the time-sheet and tachograph to show the same times.

This is where I was going wrong (See bold above). And it was those 4 words which made all the difference “…cannot do more than” 6 hours without a break. Somehow I thought it was “cannot work 6 hours without a break” . All sorted and thank you.

ROG:

edd1974:

Really ?

Yes can’t do more than 6 hours .
You then need a 15 min break.
then you can continue untill 9 hours from start of shift then you need a 30 min break making it a total of 45 mins.

But in my case because I only did an hour had 15 mins set off again the 6 hour rule was up again before the 9 hours if that makes sense