Working 6 hours WTD

edd1974:

ROG:

edd1974:
It 6 hours then 15 min break then can continue into your working time reaches 9 hours then need a 30 min break.

Really ?

Yes can’t do more than 6 hours .
You then need a 15 min break.
then you can continue untill 9 hours from start of shift then you need a 30 min break making it a total of 45 mins.

But in my case because I only did an hour had 15 mins set off again the 6 hour rule was up again before the 9 hours if that makes sense

Work 6
break 15
Work 6
break 15
Work 2
break 15
Work 15
100% legal if no driving breaks needed

edd1974:

ROG:

edd1974:
It 6 hours then 15 min break then can continue into your working time reaches 9 hours then need a 30 min break.

Really ?

Yes can’t do more than 6 hours .
You then need a 15 min break.
then you can continue untill 9 hours from start of shift then you need a 30 min break making it a total of 45 mins.

I think what ROG is getting at is that you do not have to have another 30 minute break at the 9 hour point, I’m not sure if that’s what you mean but the way you’ve phrased your reply that’s the way it looks.

If you’re not doing more than 9 hours working time you only need a total of 30 minutes break/breaks.

If your total working time is more than 9 hours you need a total of 45 minutes break but as long as the 6 hour rule is complied with the 45 minutes break/breaks can be taken at any time, you cannot do more than 6 hours working time without a break but apart from that there’s no rule that says how much break you must have by the 9 hour point in a shift that’s longer than 9 hours.

For instance, if you’re doing a 15 hour shift starting at 06:00 you could have a 15 minute break at 12:00 to 12:15, you then would not legally have to start another break of 15 minutes until 18:15, that’s 12 1/4 hours from the start of the shift, you would then need to make up the total breaks to 45 minutes at some point.
(That is of course not taking into account any requirement for driving breaks)

I’m not suggesting it’s a good idea to work 12 1/4 hours with only a 15 minute break but it is legal :wink:

Mooping:

tachograph:

Mooping:
OK. I’ve worked for 6 hours today. As I understand it, you cannot work 6 hours without taking a 15 mins break. I wanted to put down 6 hours work of overtime and the breaks aren’t paid for. It’s kind of agree that if we do o/t then we put down 6 hours as it’s hardly worth it otherwise. :frowning: So, I was thinking I would put down 6 hours and 15 minutes on my time-sheet. But if I do that amount of work, because the 15 minutes is also counted isn’t it…then I will have ‘worked’ for over 6 hours and between 6 and 9 hours which requires another 15 minutes break. So, in order to get paid for 6 hours work, and in order to not fall foul of the WTD, then I should put down 6.30 minutes work on my time-sheet with 30 minutes being taken off as unpaid. I’ll also be doing a manual entry to that effect. Am I correct about the 6.15 including break meaning I’ve worked over 6 hours for the purposed of the WTD? Thanks.

The regulations don’t say you cannot work 6 hours without a break they say you cannot do more than 6 hours working time without a break, if you book 6 hours you don’t need to book a break.

If you’ve worked 6 hours book 6 hours on your time-sheet and the tachograph and your legal :slight_smile:

edit: If you haven’t actually worked 6 hours you only need to manually enter on the tachograph what hours you actually worked, though some companies will want the time-sheet and tachograph to show the same times.

This is where I was going wrong (See bold above). And it was those 4 words which made all the difference “…cannot do more than” 6 hours without a break. Somehow I thought it was “cannot work 6 hours without a break” . All sorted and thank you.

It seems to be a fairly common misconception that the break for the 6 hour rule has to be taken before 6 hours working time, as you now realise the 15 minute break must be started before going over 6 hours working time, which of course means you can legally book up-to [and including] 6 hours without a break.

Anyway, I’m glad you got it sorted :wink:

As usual…

Why would anyone want to work 6 hours without a break?