Work time directive downloads

could any one tell where to download any documents for the working time directive that show you only need 15 minute break with 6 hours of work as my company trainer keeps telling me that its law that i must take 30 minutes at 6 hours of work i havnt been able to find any thing to down load off the vosa site that show about the 15 minute break after 6 hours

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Tran … s_0511.pdf
Page 46 of 56
Breaks:
Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
— If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.
— If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.
Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration.

What many do is to mix up the requirement for the total breaks with the break requirement for 6 hours of work
Makes it clear that it can be more than one break

IMO this would have been better put in this way …
Mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes’ duration
— If your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes.
— If your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK willk23a :wink:

willk23a:
could any one tell where to download any documents for the working time directive that show you only need 15 minute break with 6 hours of work as my company trainer keeps telling me that its law that i must take 30 minutes at 6 hours of work i havnt been able to find any thing to down load off the vosa site that show about the 15 minute break after 6 hours

You won’t find any official document that says you should have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time.

Actually the RT(WT)R 2005 doesn’t stipulate a length of time for what’s generally known as the 6 hour rule, it just says that “no mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break”, as 15 minutes is the shortest break that will count for the RT(WT)R it’s assumed that it’s the length of break required.

The second line of that article 7 RT(WT)R states that a break of 30 minutes should be taken if the working time is more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours and this is where the confusion often occurs, some people see this as meaning that a break of 30 minutes should be taken before exceeding 6 hours but the 4th line of article 7 makes it clear that the break can be divided into separate periods of no less than 15 minutes each.

Therefore as the regulations do not stipulate a time duration it’s clear that you would need to take a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time because that’s the shortest break that will count for the RT(WT)R.

If your total working time does not exceed 9 hours you would need to take another 15 minute break before finishing the shift.

If your total working time is more than 9 hours you would need to take a total of a further 30 minutes break/breaks before finishing the shift, again this could be taken in separate breaks of 15 minutes, obviously a second break of 30 minutes would be required if you reached 4.5 hours driving time.

For the RT(WT)R 2005 breaks must interrupt the working time so cannot be taken at the immediate start or immediate end of the shift.

The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005

The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005 - PDF

Rules on Drivers’ Hours and Tachographs (Goods vehicles in GB and Europe) Page 46

The Road Transport (Working Time) Regulations 2005
:
u No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break.[/u]
(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.
(3) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 45 minutes and interrupting that period.
u Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than 15 minutes each…[/u]

Trainers/assessors have in the past told me that you must take 30 minutes break before exceeding 6 hours working time, if they won’t listen to reason I just ignore them, I always have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time and have never had an infringement for it.

Having said all that if your trainer tells you to have 30 minutes and you get paid for breaks, take 30 minutes :smiley: :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=39840

10th post down has all the conformation you need.

thankyou to those that have repled to my post this has given me me plenty of imformation to print off and take to work to show my boss that its not law that you must take 30 mins break by 6 hours of work and 15 is all i need

I have stolen part of the content in the 10th post to use on another site where professional trainers are telling us WE are wrong, along with the Cat C and padlocks and removal of fifth wheels.

I am waiting to see what colour chalk is in this year! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I have stolen part of the content in the 10th post to use on another site where professional trainers are telling us WE are wrong, along with the Cat C and padlocks and removal of fifth wheels.

Might that be the linked in group where I’ve been banned :smiley:

shep532:

Wheel Nut:

Might that be the linked in group where I’ve been banned :smiley:

I wrote pleading for your release, but not heard anything. Then I thought I saw a post in there a couple of days ago.

I really do need your help at the minute, it is like educating pork! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I wrote pleading for your release, but not heard anything. Then I thought I saw a post in there a couple of days ago.

I really do need your help at the minute, it is like educating pork! :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as I can tell I’m still banned. That’s what you get for speaking out against these people :unamused: … You’re next :wink: