Manual entries received advisory from tacho analyst

To stay on the right side of the law I started doing manual entries on my tacho to show when I started work for that day (normally 2 hours before i get allocated a vehicle, at which point I insert my tacho chart)

Had a load of tacho reports back today and I had to sign for all the manual entries that I made on the tachos… they wernt infringemtnts as such but “advisories” .

Why?

Im doing this to keep in line with the law so why do i have to keep signing to say Ive had these “advisories” explained to me? Thought you were supposed to make a manual entry if required.

Are you doing 2 hours other work then 4.5 hrs driving?

2 hours other work and up to 5 hours driving in a day, but i take all breaks legally, ie 15 minutes within the first 6 hours for the WTD.

masetheace:
2 hours other work and up to 5 hours driving in a day, but i take all breaks legally, ie 15 minutes within the first 6 hours for the WTD.

Think you should be takeing 30 minutes when at 6 hours not 15

tony66:

masetheace:

There’s no need to take 30min at 6 hours, 15min is all you need by law. You do need to take at least another 15min before the end of the shift though.

Paul.

tony66:

masetheace:

oh no, the cans burst, there’re worms everywhere :laughing:

general opinion is that youonly need a 15 before 6 hours, its been done to death on here!!!

stevie

Tacho analysts usually have extremely rudimentary knowledge of the requirements of tacho rules, even worse than most drivers :open_mouth: :smiley: .

What you’re doing doesn’t break the rules, as long as you don’t obscure any part of the traces.
You could do your manual entries in the section for it on the back of your charts.
By doing that, you won’t get the analysts upset and you’ll also be complying with the rules.
Jobs a good 'un. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

You could do your manual entries in the section for it on the back of your charts.
By doing that, you won’t get the analysts upset and you’ll also be complying with the rules.
Jobs a good 'un.

i do them all in the right place, and have all the correct breaks at the correct time for wtd.

waste of time doing them I think.

masetheace:

Jobs a good 'un.

i do them all in the right place, and have all the correct breaks at the correct time for wtd.

waste of time doing them I think.

It appears that the analysts your company uses dislike manual entries on the front of your charts.
I wasn’t suggesting that you were doing them in the wrong place.
I pointed out that there is another place where you could do manual entries, which would probably stop your advisory notes.
Either method of doing manual entries is acceptable to VOSA, we’ve been informed.
The preferred place is in the grid on the back of a chart.

tony66:

masetheace:

Unless your working shift is 9 hrs or under the only requierment is to take 15min at 6hrs then the other 15min befor the end of your shift and not befor you start your daily rest
The following is a copy of the E-mails sent and recived from Steve Oliver Dft

Dear Mr

Thank you for your further email of 29 October regarding breaks under the Working Time Directive for mobile workers.

Yes, the example given in your email is correct. The driver has not done enough actual driving to qualify for a break under the EU rules. But the 6 hours of total work means a break must be taken (of at least 15 minutes) for the purposes of the Working Time rules. As he will be working for a total of 9 hours then 30 minutes of total breaks must be taken.

Yours Sincerely

Steve Oliver

Policy Advisor
Freight and Logistics Division

Department for Transport
Zone 2/14 Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London SW1P 4DR

Tel: 020 7944 2756
Fax: 020 7944 2928

Sent: 29 October 2008 02:21
To: Steve Oliver
Subject: RE: Working Time Directive

Dear Steve
Thank you for your reply of Tue, 28 Oct 2008

The only point I am Looking at is that the web site shows in the Mobile Worker A is doing other work and driving is not being shown so to make myself 100% clear is the following example correct under this regulation

1hr other work
2hrs driving
3 hrs other work
1/4 break (rest)
2hrs driving
1/4 rest
1hr other work
End of duty

Thank you for your time

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:10:48 +0000
To: @hotmail.co.uk
Subject: re: Working Time Directive

Dear Mr

Thank you for your email of 27 September to the Department for Transport regarding the guidance for Working Time.

Your understanding of the break requirements is not entirely correct. It is not the case that you have to take 30 minutes break immediately after 6 hours work. You must take a 15 minute break (as a break is required after 6 hours work and all breaks must be at least 15 minutes in length).

If you are going to be working between 6 and 9 hours then you must take a total of 30 minutes break. The second 15 minute break could be taken later on, and does not have to be taken straight away.

I hope that clarifies things for you, but let me know if you have any more questions.

Yours Sincerely

Steve Oliver

Policy Advisor
Freight and Logistics Division

Department for Transport
Zone 2/14 Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London SW1P 4DR

Tel: 020 7944 2756
Fax: 020 7944 2928

From the main man that was

masetheace:
To stay on the right side of the law I started doing manual entries on my tacho to show when I started work for that day (normally 2 hours before i get allocated a vehicle, at which point I insert my tacho chart)

Had a load of tacho reports back today and I had to sign for all the manual entries that I made on the tachos… they wernt infringemtnts as such but “advisories” .

Why?

Im doing this to keep in line with the law so why do i have to keep signing to say Ive had these “advisories” explained to me? Thought you were supposed to make a manual entry if required.

Do the advisories say exactly what they’re for ?

If you’re just having to sign to say that it was you who made the manual entries I’d ask why no other company does this, better still ask you boss to change analyst companies :wink:

tachograph:
better still ask you boss to change analyst companies :wink:

Even better stil - invite said analyst company to visit this forum where they might (in Alf Garnet voice) “learn sumfink” :wink:

The preferred place is in the grid on the back of a chart.

I do them on the grid on the back of the chart, thats what i meant, sorry for the confusion.

Do the advisories say exactly what they’re for ?

“written explanations on chart”

this is strange as this is exactly what we are told to do if starting work before a vehicle is issued.
How else can you record your start times?