work hours

hi folks,im new to this excellent forum and i need ur help.im employed as a day driver out of trafford park,starting at 0500 give or take an hour each way.on thurs my planner asked if i could start at 0830 as there is no early work.i said ok,but on starting my shift was planned till 2230,i refused to do the work that was planned and got the reply “we can plan you when we want,as there is no start/finish time.in the current climate id do it if i was you”.so im up for a disciplinary next week for refusing.where do i stand in this matter?and btw i dont stay out but back each day.thanks in advance.

up a creek without a paddle comes to mind

they can do that if you can use a 15 hour but just remind them its a limit not a target

depends how your contract is worded…

with mine - 48 flexiable hours in a week… so from 00:01 on monday to 23:59 on sat night :angry:

lefty68:
hi folks,im new to this excellent forum and i need ur help.im employed as a day driver out of trafford park,starting at 0500 give or take an hour each way.on thurs my planner asked if i could start at 0830 as there is no early work.i said ok,but on starting my shift was planned till 2230,i refused to do the work that was planned and got the reply “we can plan you when we want,as there is no start/finish time.in the current climate id do it if i was you”.so im up for a disciplinary next week for refusing.where do i stand in this matter?and btw i dont stay out but back each day.thanks in advance.

If there is no set start finish times in your contract, or amount of hours per day specified, and you had a reduced daily rest available then you are pretty much screwed. What reason did you give for refusing?

lefty68:

If this occurs a lot then maybe try and have a quiet word with your boss but if it happens rarely then really its in your interest to do it, just remember its all perfectly legal what he’s asking. You might get someone on here soon saying tell him to get stuffed but that’s not a good idea is it in reality.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK lefty68 :wink:

lefty68:

I agree with what the others have said, it sounds like your contract allows for varied start and finish times so basically you’ve got some ducking a diving to do.

Good luck :wink:

thanks for the replies gents.my contract says 0600-1800 day driver,so by the end of the week i become a night driver on day wages :imp:

and they are regularly running us out of time,and picking us up in another unit to get back to base,is this legal as i thought that would be classed as double manned?ie yesterday left t park,over to warrington for a live load,down to hereford to tip.down to pontypool for live load,to get back to stoke,swap trailers and back to t. park.by the time i got to stoke i didnt have enough driving time to get back home,hence the lift in another cab.

lefty68:
and they are regularly running us out of time,and picking us up in another unit to get back to base,is this legal as i thought that would be classed as double manned?ie yesterday left t park,over to warrington for a live load,down to hereford to tip.down to pontypool for live load,to get back to stoke,swap trailers and back to t. park.by the time i got to stoke i didnt have enough driving time to get back home,hence the lift in another cab.

If you have ran out of driving time but have enough duty time for the run home after being picked up then it is legal. If you do not have enough duty time then it is not.

no i was bang on 15 as well,wots the options open to me

lefty68:

If you have ran out of duty time there is only one legal option , night out.

we are not allowed to put gear in our cabs as night drivers need the units,so it looks like a night out with no clean clothes or gear with me lol

Coffeeholic:

lefty68:

What if you’re in a day cab?

they all have bunks etc,but the thought of a coat over me in a lay-by is not very appealing lol

lefty68:
they all have bunks etc,but the thought of a coat over me in a lay-by is not very appealing lol

Can’t see a bunk in my day cab. Where is it?

no lol i meant the fleet we have at the yard

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

lefty68:

What if you’re in a day cab?

Same option, night out but if the cab doesn’t have suitable sleeping facilities then hotel.

lefty68:
we are not allowed to put gear in our cabs as night drivers need the units,so it looks like a night out with no clean clothes or gear with me lol

You can surely take a bag with you that can be removed at the end of the shift?

no were not allowed,but weve asked,they wont pay hotel,nor night out money if they think u can do it