work hours

lefty68:
no were not allowed,but weve asked,they wont pay hotel,nor night out money if they think u can do it

Time for a new job. What they are doing is illegal in collecting you when you have ran out of duty time.

Winter is coming and you are not allowed to carry any gear with you in case you get stuck out in snow? Are you saying you are only allowed the clothes you are wearing and whatever you can carry in your pocket? What about gloves, torch, pens, phone charger, flask, sandwiches, water and so on?

Coffeeholic:

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

lefty68:
no i was bang on 15 as well,wots the options open to me

If you have ran out of duty time there is only one legal option , night out.

What if you’re in a day cab?

Same option, night out but if the cab doesn’t have suitable sleeping facilities then hotel.

What if you’re in the middle nowhere, miles from the nearest hotel?

no we can have the essentials like u state,there was a temp a cpl ov weeks ago pulled in the yard looking mad,he flew in the office and flung his keys at the ops manager after ruuning out of time on hilton park.he had nothing with him as he was told it was a day shift and he would get back to base.

lefty68:
hi folks,im new to this excellent forum and i need ur help.im employed as a day driver out of trafford park,starting at 0500 give or take an hour each way.on thurs my planner asked if i could start at 0830 as there is no early work.i said ok,but on starting my shift was planned till 2230,i refused to do the work that was planned and got the reply “we can plan you when we want,as there is no start/finish time.in the current climate id do it if i was you”.so im up for a disciplinary next week for refusing.where do i stand in this matter?and btw i dont stay out but back each day.thanks in advance.

im normally not bothered what i do but i wont be messed around hours wise,if i start the week on 3 a.m starts[give or take a hour],then i expect to be on them all week,your system ajusts to times,i find if i get up at 1 a.m for 3 days,even if they put me down for 6 a.m i still wake up at 1 a.m,which is why soon as they play about with the rotas i just say NO,if its 2 a.m monday,its 2 a.m all week[give and take a bit],im not bothered if it means joe bloggs now gets ■■■■■■ about,thats there problem not mine,never had any disiplinary action taken against me,as i say 99% ill do anything,but if i set my mind to something its set in stone no matter what anyone says
n.b always remember they can take away your job,but not your lisense

I don’t want to be too negative because this might not happen in your case.

I once knew a driver who saw his rota at the beginning of the week, he noticed they’d planned him a long run on Friday, he let them know on Monday he could not do it because he’d got something on. Can you guess where this is going… Yep, he gets into work on Friday and handed the long shift he said he couldn’t do. He goes in to see matey boy in the office, sorry he says thats what your planned for, you either do it or go home. He went home and was not to be seen again. Rumour, and yes it was only a rumour that they had sacked him for refusing a reasonable management request. Thats with him giving 4 days notice that he could not do it!

Hope it turns out ok for you.

Quick (anonymous) call to Vosa telling them your company are running illegaly by picking up drivers who have done their 15 hour duty limit should suffice, you could also mention that the workload they are planning for you is not possible in the legal hours that are available, you may also like to add that you feel you are being pressured in to bending the rules by the work load that is being planned for you. They don’t like it up 'em.

Quick sniff of a Vosa bod up the jacksy & the attitude toward the drivers from management will change believe me.

If your contract states 06:00 hours to 18:00 hours then they can’t get you to work outside of these hours unless they change your contract I would have thought.

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

lefty68:

Same option, night out but if the cab doesn’t have suitable sleeping facilities then hotel.

Plan better, don’t head into the middle of nowhere if time is getting tight. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

lefty68:
hi folks,im new to this excellent forum and i need ur help.im employed as a day driver out of trafford park,starting at 0500 give or take an hour each way.on thurs my planner asked if i could start at 0830 as there is no early work.i said ok,but on starting my shift was planned till 2230,i refused to do the work that was planned and got the reply “we can plan you when we want,as there is no start/finish time.in the current climate id do it if i was you”.so im up for a disciplinary next week for refusing.where do i stand in this matter?and btw i dont stay out but back each day.thanks in advance.

If you’ve been there under 12 months, out of a job. If it is classed as gross misconduct in your contract, out of a job. You have refused a reasonable request which is pretty much a breach of every employment contract I’ve read.

lefty68:

There must have been some point in your day when you knew it could get to 15 hours so why did you not call the boss and give him a choice - start back to make depot within 15 or a reasonable legal alternative?
The boss then makes the decision

which company is it i work in manchester and wudnt want drivers leaving a job to go there tbh i have a idea who it is

nick172sport:
which company is it i work in manchester and wudnt want drivers leaving a job to go there tbh i have a idea who it is

That is not a good question to ask on a public forum and if the OP has any sense he won’t answer it.

lefty68:
thanks for the replies gents.my contract says 0600-1800 day driver,so by the end of the week i become a night driver on day wages :imp:

Are there any clauses that might permit them to vary your hours at short notice?

Make sure you take a rep/colleague with you to your disciplinary.

That for a start will make them know you won’t be ■■■■ on.

Coffeeholic:

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

lefty68:

Plan better, don’t head into the middle of nowhere if time is getting tight. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

What if you haven’t got the foresight or intelligence to realise you’re going to run out of time and you get to that awkward moment where you realise it’s 3am, you’re in the middle of nowhere and you clocked on 14 hours 59 minutes ago?

What then Mr Coffeeholic?

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

SmashedCrabFace:

Coffeeholic:

lefty68:

What if you haven’t got the foresight or intelligence to realise you’re going to run out of time and you get to that awkward moment where you realise it’s 3am, you’re in the middle of nowhere and you clocked on 14 hours 59 minutes ago?

Sleep at the side of the road on the grass.
Phone a taxi to take you to the nearest hotel.

If you let yourself get into that situation there is no legal way to continue your journey.

SmashedCrabFace:

You deserve to be sacked for being an incompetent halfwit although being that dumb you’re probably on the dole. If you can’t work out an hour or two hours earlier that you’re not going to get back, do you really think you’re the kind of person a company wants to employ?

Sure there’s the odd time something will happen like a breakdown but aside from that, if you can’t work it out you deserve your P45.