Woolwich Ferry

Hi all
I found an old photo using the Woolwich ferry with also A1 Transport who had the same idea , anyone know the driver .
If you was too high for Blackwall tunnel or could`nt be arsed to head for Dartford this was a great way to unwind for a mo and with the clever way these Ferries missed each on the crossing and fine views down the river it was well worth the wait .
egards Frenchy

Plus, from time to time you could find a gullible Dutchman or somesuch and send him downstairs looking for the duty-free shop.

Hello Harry Monk , I wondered where they dissapeared to mind you the deckies fitted you in so tight you had a hard job to even open the doors let alone get out , had to be sick out the window onto the car roofs on a rough crossing.
regards Frenchy

Rough crossing? Are you saying the Woolwich ferry made you feel seasick?

Never was a good Trailer sailer , could easily chunder stepping in a puddle Mate . Back to Woolwich , anything changed down there .
Regards Frenchy

I can only agree on the woolwich ferry, i used to run to my first drop at ‘London City Bond’ from Southampton before going on a east anglian milk run. It would always make me smile that after the rat run of the M25 I could relax for 5 minutes on the ferry and you could always get a good bacon roll (south side) before ‘shipping out’!

I never did try for the duty free but maybe next time…

frenchy:

Hi all
I found an old photo using the Woolwich ferry with also A1 Transport who had the same idea , anyone know the driver .
If you was too high for Blackwall tunnel or could`nt be arsed to head for Dartford this was a great way to unwind for a mo and with the clever way these Ferries missed each on the crossing and fine views down the river it was well worth the wait .
egards Frenchy

Remember those days very well, how did we manage before the M25 was built ? :sunglasses:

Used to be able to park up o/night on the south side just before the last crossing in the evening for a couple of bob.
had a fantastic lockin at the pub there with Tommy Brindle a legend in the Preston area. He asked the landlord if there
was any chance of a late one and the landlord said ‘sure mate just as soon as I get rid of my regulars’ We were there till about 3a.m. and Tommy locked the door as we left as the landlord had passed out
good old bad old days.

Even my Mum used to call me a son of a ■■■■■

mikey1964:
I can only agree on the woolwich ferry, i used to run to my first drop at ‘London City Bond’ from Southampton before going on a east anglian milk run. It would always make me smile that after the rat run of the M25 I could relax for 5 minutes on the ferry and you could always get a good bacon roll (south side) before ‘shipping out’!

I never did try for the duty free but maybe next time…

If that was the London City Bond near City Airport you could have loaded up with duty free there . They were into a massive VAT scam ;truck loads of alcohol shipping out to all corners of the EEC but 2 hrs later ending up in B’ham .The Black Gang put them all under surveillance lasting months & costing hundreds of thousands but they all got away with it thru a technicality !! LOL

It was at Silvertown and also a place along side the big sugar factory (still silvertown but another shed) in the late 90’s just before duty free changed in europe. I think I remember something about a customs operation but not sure of details. I was delivering ‘fine’ wines etc, i thought they were for ships etc but they may well have ended up in Brum etc. Also did a drop at city airport duty free store which was always a pain because the black cabs would be in the way and were quite unwilling to move. oh well thats a surprise.

took this one of the woolwich ferry in the early 80’s. my first taste of ‘over the water’ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thats just the sort of view through the windscreen you got used to seeing , although you knew you was on a Ferry youd still tried to steer it accross the river .
Good photo wideboybob .
Regards Frenchy

frenchy:
Thats just the sort of view through the windscreen you got used to seeing , although you knew you was on a Ferry youd still tried to steer it accross the river .
Good photo wideboybob .
Regards Frenchy

On a similar thing on TV a while ago I was watching one of those programmes that show short film clips from police around the world…

One clip was showing a car in U.S.of A. being washed down river in a “flash flood” and the tail brake lights were flashing on & off – driver obviously still thought that may help or was it instinct ?

it was always a bit iffy being first on and going right up to the gate ,thinking you might fall off the end! :unamused: .bob.

Hi All
Considering the Woolwich ferry service cost 7.0 million a year to run I think it would have been rude not to have used it seeing it was free .
Regards Frenchy

Used to use it quite often in the 80s - anybody know how long its been running ?

I believe the service has run as a free crossing since the late 1880’s but I’d guess the present ferry’s are at least 40-50 years old or more? any one know more?