Woodhead Passed Closed Accident Longs of Leeds

The A628 Woodhead Pass closed until the early hours of Saturday morning 11th June while recovery takes place.
Longs of Leeds has lost his load negotiating one of the bends at Crowden.

Looks like MDF or ply. Needs plenty of straps.

Cor, there’ll be a shed load of paperwork to fill in for that one!

I bet it’s from Kronospan at Chirk.

Ken.

Not my favourite thing carrying wood ,
I only drive a rigid and we carry wood for a local wholesaler sometimes .
Even after strapping it well I always recheck about 15 mins driving later and quite often it ratchets up a few more notches .
Poor chap feel for him

What happens when you don’t strap your load down properly. Good job he doesn’t pick up out of Egger at Auchinleck. If you think Woodhead Pass is bad it’s got nowt compared to the A70.

You can put as many straps as you like on a load - if you drive like a clown accidents will happen . I’ve loaded in EGGER Barony as well Conor and the A70 isn’t a great road but if driven with a bit of care and attention you won’t have any problems . I always preferred to go down the A76 to Dumfries and then out the A75 to Gretna - not much difference time wise (less than 10 minutes) but 10 miles shorter - unless your traffic office has you pinned to a fixed route why not mix it up and go a different way to avoid the boredom .

If that load was diligently strapped down properly to the bed, this wouldn’t have happened. Ratchets or nothing on that sort of load, internals attached to flimsy roof rails a waste of time.

One drivers bone idleness causing chaos.

Obviously we don’t know the details of how it was secured or driven, but the plastic coated mfd was almost as bad as steel when we used to carry it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beefy4605:
You can put as many straps as you like on a load - if you drive like a clown accidents will happen . I’ve loaded in EGGER Barony as well Conor and the A70 isn’t a great road but if driven with a bit of care and attention you won’t have any problems . I always preferred to go down the A76 to Dumfries and then out the A75 to Gretna - not much difference time wise (less than 10 minutes) but 10 miles shorter - unless your traffic office has you pinned to a fixed route why not mix it up and go a different way to avoid the boredom .

I used to come down the A76 too, I hated pulling Egger loads. When I was on for Keedwell we regularly backloaded Barony and Hexham. Vile, slippery stuff, even with 5 or 6 straps per stack.

No such worries on a tanker though… :grimacing:

It looks like its Curtains for him

From the little…

I can see if I squint a bit, it appears it was only strapped with internals.

:open_mouth:

Perhaps its just me but whenever there is a pic of an incident like this, there always seems to be a couple of plod/wombles stood around with their hands in their pockets

Suedehead:
Perhaps its just me but whenever there is a pic of an incident like this, there always seems to be a couple of plod/wombles stood around with their hands in their pockets

No, it’s not just you. Most folk presented with nothing much to do at any particular moment resort to standing with their hands in their pockets. Lorryists often have a bunk to which they can retire in such situations to avoid being seen to be Not Really Doing Anything, but wombles/plod don’t normally enjoy that luxury. So they stand there.

Perhaps they could go and carry out a few random traffic checks on the members of the public waiting for the road to be cleared, or look for some illegal immigrants among said people? There must be some worn tyres or defective lights they could deal with.

Roymondo:

Suedehead:

No, it’s not just you. Most folk presented with nothing much to do at any particular moment resort to standing with their hands in their pockets. Lorryists often have a bunk to which they can retire in such situations to avoid being seen to be Not Really Doing Anything, but wombles/plod don’t normally enjoy that luxury. So they stand there.

Perhaps they could go and carry out a few random traffic checks on the members of the public waiting for the road to be cleared, or look for some illegal immigrants among said people? There must be some worn tyres or defective lights they could deal with.

Quite so.
We all know that 75% of cars are full of Klingon drug smugglers. Get the cops out there earning the money we all (who ain`t LTD) pay in taxes!

yourhavingalarf:
From the little…

Certainly looks like it :open_mouth:

Someone’s gonna have some serious explaining to do :exclamation:

drover:

yourhavingalarf:
From the little…

Certainly looks like it :open_mouth:

Someone’s gonna have some serious explaining to do :exclamation:

If that’s the case he deserves all he gets.

I disagree. If you look at the rearmost pack there appears to be a strap going over the top of all of it.

And therein lay an issue because barring that one I don’t see many others. I don’t see any halfway up, I dont see more than one over any stack etc etc, but who really knows as we’re basing this on one photo from a distance after an event which may or may not have altered by any small clear up etc.

So glad I don’t do curtains any more!

However many or few straps he had on., it’s blatantly and painfully obvious that it was not strapped up PROPERLY, if it was it would have stayed on…simple.
So basically the driver is either inexperienced, a complete idiot,…or both, as well more than likely a bad driver who throws his truck around like a car, judging by where his load landed.
You’re welcome.

When you have that stuff on you treat it with respect, I ve seen it slip on a particularly rough ferry crossing, let alone a dodgy road like Woodhead.

He didn’t need straps it was a positive fit :laughing: Seriously it wouldn’t surprise me though. When subbing at a firm who deliver mdf, chipboard and the like, one day a pallet network guy turned up delivering some mdf or something similar(i cant remember exactly what it was) he only had internals on, I couldn’t believe it when he opened the curtains :open_mouth: