Woodhead pass closed 5th nov

Anyone heading to from Sheffield today mon 5 nov.
Woodhead is closed due to a lorry fire about 4 am.

edd1974:

Woodhead doesn’t go to Sheffield.
It runs Manchester to Barnsley.

Sent using smoke signals

lizard:

edd1974:

Sent using smoke signals

But the road it connects to does take you down to Sheffield.

lizard:

How pedantic. :unamused:

I would say the majority of ‘lorry’ drivers on here would associate Woodhead as the Manchester Sheffield road.

moomooland:

lizard:

I would say the majority of ‘lorry’ drivers on here would associate Woodhead as the Manchester Sheffield road.

In your opinion!
Woodhead goes(as quite rightly pointed out) from The Manchester area to the Barnsley area… not Sheffield.

moomooland:

lizard:

Well that’s odd as I and many others associate snake pass as the Sheffield to Manchester road.
So go and pedantic off yourself.

Sent using smoke signals

Flouch (roundabout at the end) is technically Sheffield.

So your saying woodhead isn’t the Manchester to Sheffield road. But the snake pass is?
So quick poll then who uses the snake pass to get to Sheffield…who uses woodhead.

I used woodhead always have done

Ignore them mate they’re just trying to be clever but they are wrong anyway as the A628 runs to Pontefract and that ain’t Barnsley :wink:

edd1974:
So your saying woodhead isn’t the Manchester to Sheffield road. But the snake pass is?
So quick poll then who uses the snake pass to get to Sheffield…who uses woodhead.

Personally if asked which route I’d taken I’d just say Woodhead, meaning from the minute I’d come off the M1 right up until the Flouch roundabout. But then I am old and cantankerous enough to still call the A14 the A604 just to confuse the sat nav boys! :wink:

You lot must be fun to chat with in RDC waiting rooms :unamused:

Alfa1M:
You lot must be fun to chat with in RDC waiting rooms :unamused:

I’m a barrel of laughs. Did I ever tell you about the time I told that copper to…zzzzzz

tommymanc:
Flouch (roundabout at the end) is technically Sheffield.

Are you sure about that? I’m sure Flouch comes under the Barnsley Boundary as it’s Barnsley Council that empty the bins, the area code is 01226 which is the Barnsley area code, Midhopestones which is between Flouch and Stockbridge is classed as Barnsley and so is the Dog and Partridge pub which is the pub across from the lay by on the hill just after Flouch roundabout heading towards Manchester. I think the boundary for Sheffield starts at Stocksbridge, Also High Green near Tankersley going towards Sheffield on the A61 used to be part of Sheffield but now falls under Barnsley as they moved the boundary a couple of year ago. If I want to be really picky you don’t use Woodhead to get from Manchester to Sheffield as it ends at Flouch and then you go on to the Stocksbridge bypass :wink: :laughing:

the maoster:

edd1974:

Personally if asked which route I’d taken I’d just say Woodhead, meaning from the minute I’d come off the M1 right up until the Flouch roundabout. But then I am old and cantankerous enough to still call the A14 the A604 just to confuse the sat nav boys! :wink:

Actually maoster the road from the M1 to Flouch is the Stocksbridge Bypass.

^^^^ See, I always thought that the Flouch roundabout was the one at the end of the M something or other at the Manchester end. I don’t know the numbers or names Steve, just where they go to and from. :wink:

lizard:
Well that’s odd as I and many others associate snake pass as the Sheffield to Manchester road.
So go and pedantic off yourself.

I said ‘lorry’ drivers not car drivers. :unamused:

Not many, if any, of us fancy tramping over Snake to Sheffield with 44 tons.

Like i say lorry drivers have always associated Woodhead Pass as the main trunk road route from Manchester to Sheffield and as regards being pedantic look it up in the dictionary the guy who posted the thread was only trying to help fellow drivers not to be ripped apart by a sarcastic comment, as is the case in many instances on these boards.

Technically the Manchester end would be a sk postcode so would be classed as Stockport

the maoster:
^^^^ See, I always thought that the Flouch roundabout was the one at the end of the M something or other at the Manchester end. I don’t know the numbers or names Steve, just where they go to and from. :wink:

Flouch roundabout is the last one you get to if coming from Sheffield before you climb the hill with the Dog and Partridge on the left that’s the start of the Woodhead pass on the South Yorkshire side, if you turn right at Flouch roundabout you head towards Penistone. Another fun fact is you actually drive through 3 separate Counties on the Woodhead, South Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Lancashire :wink:

I consider myself edumacated. :smiley:

the maoster:
I consider myself edumacated. :smiley:

:laughing: Don’t worry I won’t give you any homework on the subject :laughing: