Women Drivers

After reading abs1’s post trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1721 it made me think of the many women drivers that are out there…how safe are you■■?

I know in my many years of driving I have come across a lot of situations that could have been avoided…but I’m a man! What about you females? How do you handle situations with other truck drivers, RDC’s… know it all’s and security guards etc?

Do you think in this industry people take advantage of you because you are a woman?

Bully

No-one’s safe on the roads Bully. No one. Yes, women are more vulnerable, we tend to be smaller, and not quite so strong as the men.

From what I’ve seen, quite a lot more women drivers are of the quiet type, and will do the job quietly, calmly and patiently.

We all have trouble with RDCs, know it alls, and guards. Mostly I just nod quietly, acknowledge them politely and try and sneak off asap.

I have met one or two lay truckers who you wouldn’t dare upset because they could rip your limbs off.
Seriously though most women I met doing this job are very good and the fact they are women seems to help in some tense situations because they know how to use their feminine charm to cool the situation, (sexist it may be but men will never treat women the same way as men, “so if you’ve got it girlfriend use it”) :smiley:
A friend in the police force used to tell me how if they had a group of blokes getting a bit out of control sending in the police woman would calm the situation, but sending in policemen would make the situation worse.
As for the sleeping in cabs and risk of attack, I think we are all at risk and just like us blokes I suppose the answer is to minimise the risk by not parking in dodgy areas.

My wife works in a semi secure forensic unit with other female staff, they are all trained, as a H & S requirement, in the control & management of aggression, i.e. de-escalation by talking, break away techniques for when needed & dignified control & restraint techniques for the those other occasions.
Having worked in similar settings with similar client groups, I have never worried about her safety, I would however if she was driving as how can we evaluate the risks, or rely on colleagues, when we are all asleep in an unlit, unsecure parking area with chemicals being pumped into the cab. But that has nothing to do with being female or male, its a risk we all take when we park up for the night.

So long as it’s the load we’re after, we’re in no more danger than the guys. When they start going into cabs, then the women are at more risk. We have something you guys don’t have that most men want.
I know of some women truckers in the US who have been attacked because they were women. And it was a heartbreaking story.

Having read this posting ts time for me to reply. In naswer to the person who stated about the policewoman yes that used to be true unfortunately todays criminals are not so bothered who they hit / attack so that is a long dead concept. With regards to feminine touch etc yes there is something in that but most women drivers I meet give as good as they get and tend not to be too feminine whilst there at work. A woman has got something us men don’t have granted - but there is such a thing as male ■■■■ as well (not as well reported as female ■■■■ - due to masculinity problem etc). Everybody knows the risks when out driving it is only as dangerous as you make it. Park safely, be aware of your surroundings etc etc etc. Lots of things can be done to help minimise problems just phone your local police station and talk to the crime prevention officer they are always willing to offer advice

‘We have something you guys don’t have that most men want.’
[/quote]

What would that be then Allikat? Money? :laughing:

Ken.

It’s honestly never been an issue for me :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve never once felt as if I were in an unsafe situation! But people do treat you differently. Sometimes its good but sometimes its just annoying! For example:

This morning I pulled up to my first drop and started wheeling the stuff in on a trolley. Anyway, I had to get the trolley down a high kerb, and as I did so, the top box fell off. Bleah. I pick it up and start to go again, but then this guy comes running over, and he’s all like “let me help you with that”. I try to say I’m okay, but he grabs the trolley off me before I can get a word out. The next thing I know, he’s put the ■■■■ thing back UP the kerb again! And then he runs off, thinking he’s done his gentlemanly duty and leaving me to do the hard bit all over again! rolls eyes

Other times, its a godsend. I had 4 200L drums of chemicals to offload at another drop, and I would never have done it on my own as it was all handball, and there was no ramp at the loading bay. That said, I don’t just leave it all for the guys to do - they’re helping me, not the other way round!

You get all kinds of reactions. Some guys sniff at you and think you’re rubbish just because you’re female. Others seem to think you should be an easy lay and come on way too strong. Some are flirty in a fun, friendly, not-losing-your-job way. It’s very rare to find one that’ll treat you the same as ‘one of the blokes’.

The challenge for a female driver is getting the balance right between seeming incapable (accepting too much help) and seeming nasty (not getting offended/refusing when offered help).

Dapper Scavenger:
Other times, its a godsend. I had 4 200L drums of chemicals to offload at another drop, and I would never have done it on my own as it was all handball, and there was no ramp at the loading bay. That said, I don’t just leave it all for the guys to do - they’re helping me, not the other way round!

You really should’nt be doing that anyway as its an H&S manual handling issue i have been having loads of problems at work trying to stop jobs like this.

simon

Dapper Scavenger:
It’s honestly never been an issue for me :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve never once felt as if I were in an unsafe situation! But people do treat you differently. Sometimes its good but sometimes its just annoying! For example:

This morning I pulled up to my first drop and started wheeling the stuff in on a trolley. Anyway, I had to get the trolley down a high kerb, and as I did so, the top box fell off. Bleah. I pick it up and start to go again, but then this guy comes running over, and he’s all like “let me help you with that”. I try to say I’m okay, but he grabs the trolley off me before I can get a word out. The next thing I know, he’s put the ■■■■ thing back UP the kerb again! And then he runs off, thinking he’s done his gentlemanly duty and leaving me to do the hard bit all over again! rolls eyes

You get all kinds of reactions. Some guys sniff at you and think you’re rubbish just because you’re female. Others seem to think you should be an easy lay and come on way too strong. Some are flirty in a fun, friendly, not-losing-your-job way. It’s very rare to find one that’ll treat you the same as ‘one of the blokes’.

The challenge for a female driver is getting the balance right between seeming incapable (accepting too much help) and seeming nasty (not getting offended/refusing when offered help).

Very nicely put…so much so that for once I’m going to keep my mouth shut on this subject… :wink: :open_mouth: :grimacing:

Hear hear :wink:

Dapper Scavenger:

Its not easy for us blokes, I never know if offering to help you lovely ladies :slight_smile: will taken by you as a genuine offer of help or an offront to your independance.
Now are you sure you can get that big truck into that little gap? :laughing: :laughing: and no your bum doesn’t look big in a Scania. :laughing:

muckles:
Its not easy for us blokes, I never know if offering to help you lovely ladies :slight_smile: will taken by you as a genuine offer of help or an offront to your independance.

Easy for Lucy that one. Lucy lazy.:blush:

Know are you sure you can get that big truck into that tight spot?

Nope…and neither is that forkie if the look of terror on his face is anything to judge by… :open_mouth:

and no your bum doesn’t look big in a Scania. :laughing:

'Course it doesn’t…you can only see her from the waist up…which is why you have absolutely no chance of Lucy getting out…now if you don’t mind, the doors on the box could do with opening… :sunglasses:

(Sense of humour helps too…:wink:)

I’m not giving him the satisfaction of a response to that… :confused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

(The fact that it’s all true is, of course, irrelevant… :blush: )

muckles:
Now are you sure you can get that big truck into that little gap?

Hah… if I can get my ■■■■ into these jeans, reversing into that gap’ll be a cinch!

Do you think in this industry people take advantage of you because you are a woman?

I totally forgot to answer this question :stuck_out_tongue: I think it is the reverse. In some ways, women can take advantage of the industry. As females are somewhat under represented, many companies will look to take one on so they look good when those equal opportunity watchdogs come-a-knocking. Its a sucky, underhanded way to get a job, but to be honest, if you’re not able to do it you’ll not last anyway.

Although… I do get asked to make tea and coffee an awful lot. :laughing:

Dapper Scavenger:

muckles:
Now are you sure you can get that big truck into that little gap?

Hah… if I can get my ■■■■ into these jeans, reversing into that gap’ll be a cinch!:

Sounds like you’ve used that as a put down before.

I think it is the reverse. In some ways, women can take advantage of the industry. As females are somewhat under represented, many companies will look to take one on so they look good when those equal opportunity watchdogs come-a-knocking. Its a sucky, underhanded way to get a job, but to be honest, if you’re not able to do it you’ll not last anyway.

Although… I do get asked to make tea and coffee an awful lot. :laughing:

[/quote]

I still know of haulage firms and driver who think this is no job for a woman. However with long hours and low pay it sounds like the ideal job for a woman. :laughing: I wonder how close I can sail to the wind before I get a slap? :smiley:

slaps muckles
Customer service is, and always has been my pleasure :wink:

Especially when they’re asking for it… :laughing: :laughing:

I came across a lovely piece of sexism, a female driver was having problems unloading 3piece suites onto a loading bay, the bay staff were mumbling about, if she can’t do the job, she shoulldn’t be driving and wouldn’t help her, H&S and insurance garbage.
Nothing to do with her being female, she was just too short for this particular one. Between the two of us we showed them what real drivers could do when unloading, we spent more time chatting while waiting for the numpties to catch up with us. There were six of them, real bolshie, jobsworth, union [zb].

I agree, but it still had to go…L.:wink:

Dapper Scavenger:

we all handball freight at some time, but there’s a limit in how much.but your talking chemicals here,that’s a no no you do not man handle sorry woman handle any kind of chemical,thats why there’s a thing called forklift,if they have not got one then they should not expect the driver male or female to handball it.i laugh at these companys that order freight and they know it will turn up on x amount of pallets and they don’t have the means of tipping it.one word to them is bye.

Probably sounds worse than it was. I didn’t have to get them down to the floor. There was a bay, but no ramp, so they had to go over a lip of about 3 inches.