Woman wannabe trucker

…here about to sign up for class 2 (do my class 1 later) and wondering, if it’s difficult for newbie bloke drivers to get work, what’s it going to be like for me■■? I’m 41 and presumably older, wiser and more sensible than a 25 year old but…whatcha think of my chances??

Working for agencies is probably your best bet. You’ll get a variety of different work and experience driving different kinds of lorries. I doubt being a woman will go against you, especially with big firms. Any big firms in your area with lorries? ring them up and ask what agencies they use, good luck.

Female LGV driver = no chance !! … Now then, if anyone says that then they want shooting

you chances are exactly the same as for a male driver - you may find some companies wanting a female so it makes their employment stats look good - especially if female, non white, non UK born, a little disabled and need to pray towards the east :laughing: - I am kidding

I’m in the Eastbourne area, lots of supermarkets and large stores, although looking on the job sites most of the positions are London/Midlands regions. Hadn’t thought of phoning the companies up direct, thanks for that. Anyone heard of Fleet Driver Assessment & Training??

There are one or two lady drivers on here - Animal and Jennie spring to mind. They have both found work - albeit CE. I would suggest you pm one or both and see what they say. But, as ROG said, there really should be no difference in prospects.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Putput:
I’m in the Eastbourne area … Anyone heard of Fleet Driver Assessment & Training??

fdat.net/C–class-2-.html - they do not seem to do C+E or mention initial driver cpc !

Personally I think you would do better being female, If you are struggling with something I’m sure a few of the older more seasoned guys will be queued up to get you some tips and advice. For me being new to trucking last year, agencies were really good, got me a few weeks with some good companies which in turn gave me something more to put on a CV but more importantly, Gave me some confidence

Hi there
makes not a blot of difference , you are a lorry driver first female second , personally I have found that if your friendly (let me rephrase that lol)
if you have a problem ask someone wether you are female or male someone will always help , with the new trucks today strength isnt a problem as if you use your head you can normally find your way round a problem , ie used to deliver full pallets of bottled water to a drop , ( 1 full pallet + 1 tonne in weight) could not even make it wobble on a flat surface but if i just raised the lorry a small amount could roll to back of truck for forkie to offload , as for c+e thats easier as a lot is palletised so all you need to do is pull the curtains and a forkie takes everything off or if box trailer open back doors back onto bay sit reading a book till off loaded :smiley: , the only problem I have sometimes is being a bit smaller in height trying to get straps along my trailer over the pallets to strap load up I cant get the leverage sometimes to flip them over the load , que my mouth and someone is always willing to help lol , you will find that the lorry driving community are always willing to help each other (male or female) its just the way it is , you will come across very few who will just stand and watch u struggle I promise , just the other day was in a depot and doing a blind side reverse , could not see back of trailer so was struggling to reverse as didnt trust myself not to hit anything , kept getting out to check the back and then another driver comes over and guides me in , job done ,
If its what you want to do , go for it Ive never regretted getting my licences and have made some very good pals along the way too :smiley: :smiley:

The only female drivers i see on the roads tend to be driving horse box lorries,from amateur family transport to the high end of the market in very expensive horse transport lorries dedicated to a trainer or stud farm.

Graft:
…I doubt being a woman will go against you, especially with big firms…

God I hope I’m not the only one who misunderstood that :smiley:

Rat67:

Graft:

Lol I prefer small firms myself :laughing:

G6Bob:

Rat67:

Graft:

Lol I prefer small firms myself :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for all the advice everyone I’m really looking forward to starting my training, just got to find a school now…Crawley looks the nearest. Better stock up on the Yorkie’s…

just got to find a school now…Crawley looks the nearest. Better stock up on the Yorkie’s…

When you’re looking for a trainer, always go and visit - never book on the phone unless it’s from rock solid recommendation.

Residential options are available eg at Peterborough, we can offer a full CAT C course 1:1 tuition for £1000 incl VAT and test. On top of that you get free driver cpc and free accommodation.

All the best with the hunt, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

how far is EP LGV training from you ?

1st of all you are a driver end of

Now I am a driver but also female as Peter say there are a few of us about ( btw Pete I am slightly smaller than Jennie :laughing: ) must admit it was easier getting a job after I passed my CE although still not alway easy but have doe it with a bit of leg work ( although it was the same for some of the males )

Go out & speak with the trainers see what they are like before parting with any money & yep there are always the residential courses as I went out of area to do my CE so dont dismiss that

Dont be afraid to ask for help if in doubt yep I have asked but also have helped drivers it is not just about strength it is also about technique especially when roping & sheeting

There are quite a few of us female drivers on here ie Lucy Kate Jennie The Missus Bonnie lass Pat ( soz cant remember her username :blush: ) to name but a few oh & I have about 10 years on you so dont worry to much about age

You may get some comments but just go with the flow as no we dont have 3 heads & no I dont have a husband who need me to cook for him etc

Nothing wrong with being a woman driving trucks see more on the road nowadays, talking to a woman driver last week at cherwell valley couldnt have been more than 5’ 2" tall but had a decker going up to preston.
Used to have a woman shunter at Bhs a few years a go knocked spots off the blokes reversing.

Jeff

Peter Smythe:

just got to find a school now…Crawley looks the nearest. Better stock up on the Yorkie’s…

When you’re looking for a trainer, always go and visit - never book on the phone unless it’s from rock solid recommendation.

Residential options are available eg at Peterborough, we can offer a full CAT C course 1:1 tuition for £1000 incl VAT and test. On top of that you get free driver cpc and free accommodation.

All the best with the hunt, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete - I apparently have to do the whole 35 hours CPC training since I passed my test in 1991 and have C1 entitlement on my licence. Does your quote include this? And is the price for 4 or 5 days practical training?

Cheers!

ROG:
how far is EP LGV training from you ?

Hi Rog - Leatherhead is a 50 minute drive for me, is that reasonable before and after a day’s training or would you recommend I stay there for the training?

Anyone heard of these guys? Driver Training Sussex and Kent | HGV - LGV - PCV - CPC - FLT