Winter

I know it’s quite a way away, but it’s already playing on my mind. I’m still very new to all this so i’m still learning in the dry weather :blush: (proven today when i hit my nearside mirror on a bush/tree and cracked it) :angry:

I cant say i’m looking forward to driving in snow and ice for the first time in an artic, especially on some the roads i go on. I know to go slow, safe and steady, but what’s it like driving in these conditions? How do the unit and trailer react?

I jumped straight from van driving to Artic, so i’ve never driven a class 2 in this weather either :confused:

I figure some of the drivers on here have been through it all so might be able to offer some advice.

Have to stop the truck to apply the diff lock if going up an icy or steep hill.

Watch a series of Ice road truckers :bulb:

take plenty of spare underpants :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

stay calm dont PANIC and react causiously dont think anyone can prepare you for your own experiences. Mostly nothing happens but with farm work when approaching mud tracks or steep inclines if its wet or ice stop and and put the diff lock in and if you start to wheel spin lift the middle axle up to give some more weight on the drive axle. But the worst thing is to panic.

shuttlespanker:
take plenty of spare underpants :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And a good supply of wet wipes :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Suedehead:
delted

That will probably get deleted, but that was ■■■■■■■ brilliant :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

also gone
That will probably get deleted, but that was [zb] brilliant :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
I agree ■■■■■■■ class :grimacing:

Last year was the worst Ive experienced so far, i got stuck many a time up the highlands and in the borders.

1. Keep the wheels moving uphill - if you have to stop you’re ■■■■■■ - if you stop at a roundabout at the brow of a hill say your prayers. Last year i tried to work out routes which would avoid such junctions.

2. Carry some carpet/sacks, if you do get stuck it provides traction under the wheels.

3. Last year i knocked a bag of salt from the depot and kept it in the trailer - it got my out a few sticky situations using it under the drive wheels.

4. Using your diff lock - lower suspension (it helps a little), should get you moving - mind and switch it off when you get her moving.

Very careful with your brakes cus the trailer will go. If in doubt on very snowy/icy patches don’t go! I stopped in a layby last year near Ross on Wye cus the downhill stretch didn’tappeal to me. Many others also stopped waiting for the gritter. Cars went through and sort of made a path then we went for it 3mph to the bottom. All ok then.

My advice is; if in doubt, stop. Not worth the risk till you’re confident. No load is that valuable or urgent…unless you carry body parts but then you wouldn’t be in an artic :slight_smile:

pre check weather thenPHONE IN SICK !!!

Suprised there hasnt been any comments from the old timers . . .
“Snowed in for 3 weeks on Shap” blah blah :laughing:

best advice, slow, no violent actions … do everything (steering, Braking, accerelation etc) as if you were fighting in slow motion… as little as possible to keep control. if you get to the point where you no longer think you have control, its time to pull the snow curtains, every sleeper cab truck has them fitted.

best thing to do in the snow is stay in the yard, ‘borrow’ the shunter, and do handbrake turns and doughnuts! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :wink: :smiley:

(not exactly helpful, but more fun than being stuck!)

some warm clothes are a must (ovousley) and spare clothing,
winter screen wash,
deicer and scraper
as your in and out farms a shove,
a blowgun :stuck_out_tongue: might be handy dunno know to melt ice and wotnot
and as people have said “borrow” a bag of girt out of the yard

Just a sec, were in the start of september, this week were looking at 20Dc out side and were talking about WINTER :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Winter wont be too far away for us over in Canada, -40c in the middle of winter here. :smiley:
People think im crazy for the fact that im actually looking foward to my first proper winter, not the zb we usually get back in England

Wouldnt really be worrying about snow unless your doing the north of scotland, the rest of the country doesent really get it that bad that regularly, and if it does the country tends to grind to a halt anyways, so prob just be stuck in a massive traffic jam.

Wind and ice are more of a concern, wind well depends what kinda trailer you got and how strong it is. Being an agency driver if there is severe weather warnings i tend not to drive, cause if i screw myself up in an accident due to bad weather, tough luck be on £60 a week incapacity benifit. Typical as well for full timers to refuse to do runs and try get the agency driver to do it, more disposable. Can usually get your boss to call up local police in areas which are reporting bad weather, to see what the situation is like.

Ice just be carefull on non-main roads when get sudden cold snaps and its been damp or raining. I remember going down to carnforth last year and the roads round about the truckstop and the truckstop itself was like an ice rink. Loads of fun in a artic.

In the winter best advice is to make sure you always have some kit with you to keep warm if you end up getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. I always tend to chuck in a small sleeping bag, a flask of hot soup and a book so at least have some comfort and at least something to read if a shift turns into an overnighter.

Yeah, as well as your BFO

philgor:
‘… bag of girt …’

(Sorry, philgor - but it’s funny)
Check that the night heater works & never feel afraid to hit the hazards ASAP when it looks like a ‘stuff hitting the fan’ moment.

I’ve found that Mr J. Pubic remains as prone to imagine that artics have super-powers to traverse 45 degree black runs, etc in that never ending endeavour to ‘nip-in’ & thus create an obstruction on their twice daily ‘emergency-pint-of-milk’ marathon.

Whenever in doubt, consider stopping - unless to keep going is best!

It doesn’t sound as bad as i’m imagining in my head, then again most things aren’t though. I guess it’s like driving your car, you get to learn what your limits are, and how to react?

I’ve had all sorts of images in my head about this :laughing:

Drive like you would if you had a cup of hot tea balanced above your nuts :stuck_out_tongue:

Smooth is the answer, no sudden braking, steering or accelerating, keep your distance and take some warm gear and a flask, just in case.