WIND

Let’s have no-one killed this time.

If it’s going to be as bad as they say.

DONT LEAVE THE YARD, have a day off, better lose a day’s pay than your life.

If gaffer Say’s do it or else, take the or else, you can always get another job, you wont get another life (unless your a Buddhist).

Pull in have a kip if your already out.

was it this time last year, we had the really bad winds?
that was the first time, i’d actually considered parking up, at times it was frightening.
i’ve got an empty box, from essex, too soton docks, i’ll have a look in the morning, when i leave. chances are, most docks will prob end up being shut anyway, for safety reasons.

Trying to remember a saying - I think it went “If it is more than a gentle wind you can hear ,then you will have more than a gentle wind in the rear” - or something like that :exclamation:

I’m lucky really in so far as the wind doesn’t really affect the car transporter as it does a box trailer (lots of angles and smooth edges etc). You can sure feel the wind, but it doesn’t tend to move the truck around though.

Saw a couple of absolute howlers the last lot of breezes we had…the 7.5 tonner going past Wakefield Northbound on the M1 for example, at one point he was on his 2 offside wheels! I glanced over at the driver as I overtook him and he was drip white, gripping the wheel like a man possessed!

Be careful out there folks.

I will be on my way to south wales in the morning with 500kg in a 7.5t , if the winds up i will do what i have always done , leave yard, park up and phone Tm and tell him no way , if i get the “youve got to” line i shall say fine you can drive it i will be back in 10 mins .

It’s been a bit hairy for me a couple of times recently, and I’m only in a van, going to Oldham on 62 is a bit wobbly, especially over Scammonden and that little bridge between Rishworth and Milnrow, not so bad coming back tho’ with a ton n half of newspapers. Still not looking forward to tomorrow though.

Take care out there Guys and Gals.

My 7.5 ton flat bed ,
Gets blown about a bit.

If i was still driving my 11 ton box van
I wouldnt bother wearing underpants
they,ll just end up ruined :laughing:

Hope every one makes it safe.

What can happen

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x12YNhqNHg8

and if you are out there; belt up

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=voX5fcRS0mg

well it aint windy yet and felix port is still open…I am off to sudbury first thing(6am) to do a timed job in a yard so hopefully its not to windy going over awful bridge.

I shall be on assessments tomorrow, so looks like I’m in for a double dose of scares then. :open_mouth:

Now, just where did I put me Valium■■?

:laughing:

In all seriousness, if it is as bad as they reckon it may be, I shan’t be going anywhere. :wink:

Chunky:
What can happen

I think every driver of any vehicle should be shown the second video, the “dummy” with the belt on was probably seriously injured/killed by the unrestrained one!

Every driver and TM should be shown the first video that truck went over in less than a couple of seconds, scary. It is just not worth it park up and sit it out!

Im still on holiday in the sun for another 2 weeks :stuck_out_tongue: so hopefully things will have blown over by the time i get back and if the french decide to stop sulking and get back to work it’ll be a double victory as i’ll miss the both of them

been told the orwell bridge has been shut most of the day, im working tonight for my mate, and i only have a monkey bike to get to work on, thta will be fun :open_mouth:

orwell was open at 6.30 when i went over it this morning it was windy up there…It was opened again later in the day…and a few trees down in a few places along with my fence

Folks, may seem a stupid question, but as someone who has spent a great deal of time on fridges, I can’t remember the last time I had to tie the curtains back, and to be honest, I can’t say I’d bloody remember. :blush: :blush:

Any tips??

Stan

MORNING PEOPLE,

JUST BEEN OUTSIDE HERE IN NORTHANTS AND ITS DEFINATELYGONNA BE A BAD DAY. HAVING GONE UP AN DOWN THE 14, BE BLOODY CAREFUL ON THE EXPOSED BITS!

BE SAFE, AND AS FOR TYING BACK THE CURTAINS :open_mouth: DONT THINK THATS GONNA HELP MUCH. SEEN 1 GUY WHO HAS DONE IT AND IS STRUGGLING TO KEEP THE TRAILER ON THE GROUND!

DRIVE ACCORDING TO CONDITIONS WHICH YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH! IF IN DOUBT DONT GO OUT!

I was out in an empty 16’1" DD box trailer last night, coming down the M6 from Fleetwood & I was quite surprised how well it handled. I’d stopped at Charnock for a break & the wind nearly took my arm off when I opened the door, so I know it was pretty bad. The ‘secret’ seemed to be that the trailer’s very low to the ground with smaller wheels than normal and panneling covering as much of the side as possible - coming over Thelwall there was a bit of buffeting but no veering off, smaller vans & 7.5t overtaking seemed to be getting pushed all over the place.

Shrek:
I’m lucky really in so far as the wind doesn’t really affect the car transporter as it does a box trailer (lots of angles and smooth edges etc). You can sure feel the wind, but it doesn’t tend to move the truck around though.

Saw a couple of absolute howlers the last lot of breezes we had…the 7.5 tonner going past Wakefield Northbound on the M1 for example, at one point he was on his 2 offside wheels! I glanced over at the driver as I overtook him and he was drip white, gripping the wheel like a man possessed!

Be careful out there folks.

Shrek,

I thought the same, until this morning, on the east bound A50 @ Doveridge were three brand new JCBs, which had come loose after the BRIT EUROPEAN transporter had been blown over.

All three looked well ■■■■■■, plus the renault transporter will need more than a can of “Tcut”… :frowning: :frowning:

Stanley Mitchell:
Shrek,

I thought the same, until this morning, on the east bound A50 @ Doveridge were three brand new JCBs, which had come loose after the BRIT EUROPEAN transporter had been blown over.

All three looked well [zb], plus the renault transporter will need more than a can of “Tcut”… :frowning: :frowning:

I really can’t think how that happened then, I’d have thought JCBs would be fairly stable on those low trailers…just goes to show…

Hope the driver was OK.

I’ll tell you what is hairy as **** about transporters though…standing on the top deck, over the peak, trying to get into/out of the car when the wind is trying to get you off it the quick way down! :open_mouth:

howatsi:

Chunky:
What can happen

I think every driver of any vehicle should be shown the second video, the “dummy” with the belt on was probably seriously injured/killed by the unrestrained one!

I could swear that the restrained dummy put an arm out and threw the unretrained one :unamused: :wink: :laughing: