Wind!!

Driving back in a 16ft,empty curtainsider this morning, one of the scariest things I’ve ever done. Even taking it easy I thought I was gonna roll over. I seem to remember, many years ago when I drove motorways in a car, that empty lorries used to tie their curtains back if the trailers were empty. Can’t say I’ve seen it for a long time. Is it no longer permitted?
On a side note, not sure who it was, but the lorry in front of me who carried on past M62 J36 and over the Ouse Bridge, despite being informed not to, You’re a complete moron.

Some companies dont like you restraining the curttains to the rear or front of the trailer as the wind can blow the roof off, they are only glues and pot rivoted tin.

Mind you most companies at the point should be saying get under a bridge or some place safe and sit it out.

i would ask what the company policy is in these conditions…put the ball in their court.if you tie the curtains back and the roof blows off,it will all be your fault in their book.

Firm I worked for wanted us to tie curtains at rear doors and put a couple of ratchet straps over the roof.

Cant tie them back with most deckers as the internal straps aren’t long enough

alix776:
Cant tie them back with most deckers as the internal straps aren’t long enough

You don’t keep any ratchet straps with you ?

you made it back whats the problem?

to be fair I had one from Nottingham to Newark a few years ago and was something I wouldn’t do again. think they are dangerous and not needed.

There was a coach blown over in Scotland last week.Take care out there.

Captain Caveman 76:
but the lorry in front of me who carried on past M62 J36 and over the Ouse Bridge, despite being informed not to, You’re a complete moron.

but then he / she must have made it … how many times have you been above the speed limit or done anything not 100% legal :confused:

Saw loads going over the bridge m62 j36 this morning about 7.30am they didn’t even slow down. Real heroes :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

if you can pull curtains to the rear but make sure you open the back doors

Fincham:
Firm I worked for wanted us to tie curtains at rear doors and put a couple of ratchet straps over the roof.

Saw an artic with this arrangement on the M74 a few weeks ago, good idea!

bestbooties:

Fincham:

think it was shown its not a good idea actually as the up lift to the roof will lift the trailer like a wing …

nick2008:

bestbooties:

Fincham:

think it was shown its not a good idea actually as the up lift to the roof will lift the trailer like a wing …

just out of curiosity,has anyone ever seen a curtainsider with the back doors open and curtains tied back blown over■■? in extreme winds when empty then thats all ive ever done and just cracked on with no issues.( though ive never opened the back doors)

Came over the old Severn crossing 10 minutes ago which was a tad blustery. Probably worse going back empty. Maybe I’ll hang out of the door and pretend I’m an ice road trucker. Never mind, in the words of the late great Freddie Mercury “who wants to live forever?”

I’m currently parked behind the old tobacco warehouse in Liverpool. Feels like I’m driving on a dodgey site but the engine has been off for 15 mins.

Any one else feel we have been shortchanged for our hour?

sinclair89:

Only once. But I spoke to her “boss” and he sorted it out.
So all in all the story had a happy ending… :laughing:

The-Snowman:

sinclair89:

Only once. But I spoke to her “boss” and he sorted it out.
So all in all the story had a happy ending… :laughing:

Ha!!

After 1 of ours got blown over in Scotland in January 2014 and the driver killed it has been company policy to pull over and wait it out and under no circumstances do we tie the curtains back.
The company will even check with the drivers to make sure we are not taking any unnecessary risks in high winds.
just remember not to be a hero to keep your bosses happy.
self preservation comes 1st.