Will you........

as agency drivers be doing the drivers CPC when necessary, or will you just stay stuff it!! Think i have it right that i won’t need a CPC till i am 62. Then■■? My guess is that a lot of agency drivers will just not do it and stop driving. As the cost quoted is bound to triple and quadruple as do all government figures. What state will the industry be in then?. Never mind they can always employ drivers from other countries. What do you think?.

I think this industry will lose a lot of very experienced drivers because of the driver cpc for the very reason you describe and maybe the fact that they wil not want some upstart to tell them what they knew years ago.

I know I’m in a minority here but…

I personally take pride in the work I do, and in being a professional (for all that stands for these days)
I see the CPC as a chance to better myself and my understanding of the industry and get recognised for that.

I refuse to be just a steering wheel attendant, any chance I’m given to learn more about my job and industry I’ll do it, if it costs then so what? Electricians have to pay fees on a schedule to keep their hand in and updated on the latest developments. I don’t see it as being any different.

Alex

When the money I am paid reflects my skill and experience I may start to care… :imp: :imp: :imp:

Smee:
When the money I am paid reflects my skill and experience I may start to care… :imp: :imp: :imp:

Money will never reflect skill and experience, it only reflects what the minimum amount is that someone will do that job for.

On the face of it, for sitting on our arses all day (the majority of us) and doing something we enjoy, I think driving a LGV is a pretty good wage:effort ratio.

Alex

Electrians get paid a hell of a lot more money than we do, a lot wouldnt get outta bed for the money we earn. Plus its an area of work which prob constantly changes with new technology.

Basis of driving never really changes, i think its kinda pointless getting a guy driving for 10 years + with a clean driving and accident record to have to go out basically sit another test !

I think they should have had it that every 5 years your driving record is assessed and if you’ve been driving regularly, accident free, conviction free you keep on driving. If you have had numerous incidents then maybe you need re-training.

I’ve no idea what i’ll do when it comes time, really depends how much it costs. I like driving trucks and find the job relativly easy but i goto work to make money. Unless some how wages rapidly increase i don’t know if i’d be really willing to go out prob get a loan or end up in debt to keep driving when i could get another job earning similar money.

Plus as well whats going to happen in 5 yeras time where suddenly there is thousands of people having to sit this, will there be enough people to assess people. Knowing the government prob not, will there be a 6 month waiting list.

Reading different places on the internet and i may be wrong on this; no one seems sure of the cost to the driver. But what ever they say now you can be sure that like the cost of the olympics it will be way way underestimate!!.

I only work part time for a couple of agencies has I have done for a long time and cannot see the CPC being financially viable for me - I will be 57 when the rules apply and maybe will have stopped driving then.

I am employed so my employer will be paying
the bill,but yeswhat does a agencey driver do??
what about offsetting the courses by the tax-man
or the goverment giveing out grants,because as
some one posted if no action is taken, where will
the transport firms get their qualfied drivers from.■■
HAVE THE pesonnel in brussels thought about this■■?
OR HAS THE GOVERMENT got a secret plan
that will be sprung upon us all inthe not too distant future■■?

tortoise:
My guess is that a lot of agency drivers will just not do it and stop driving.

Depends how that’s going to pan out.

Will it sort the wheat from the chaff, or those that can afford it from those that can’t, or those that have to do the job from those that don’t. I don’t know the answer, but it’ll be interesting when it happens.

If “a lot of agency drivers” don’t take it and there is (another) shortage I wonder if the rates will rise?

Ooohhh let me think …

Stan

DSA estimates around £205 per test (which comprises an estimated £75 for the 4 hour theory test and an estimated £130 for the 2 hour practical test).

got this information from a website

brit pete:
… OR HAS THE GOVERMENT got a secret plan
that will be sprung upon us all in the not too distant future■■?

When this is due to come in this government won’t be in power (please) so it’ll be interesting to see another governments attitude to the problem.

Stan

PS: I won’t hold my breath.

buffoon:
DSA estimates around £205 per test (which comprises an estimated £75 for the 4 hour theory test and an estimated £130 for the 2 hour practical test).

That’s an estimate for initial qualification.

It’s the 35 hours / 5 year ongoing qualifications that we need to nail a price down on.

buffoon:

What about the training costs of top of the DSA test fees for the initial driver cpc :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :question:

Stupid Question time …

When you’ve paid your money and done the test, will you be a better driver?

(or just lighter in the pocket?)

Stan

Who’s going to pay for it you or the company you work for the drivers cpc is suppose to be across the eu, does that mean if it costs less to do it abroad can you take yours abroad

The main subject areas for the CPC will be:

1. Advanced training in rational driving based on safety regulations
  2. Application of regulations
  3. Health, road and environmental safety, service, logistics

From some of the questions repeatedly asked on this forum it seems to me that some of this, if not all, will be a good idea for a lot of drivers.

It is all too often quoted by drivers “I have ■■■ number of years experience”, implying that this makes them some sort of driving god. One of the other hats I wear, apart from my LGV driving, is as an Advanced Motorcycle Instructor - riding a motorcycle is not dissimilar to driving a lorry - shows that most long experienced riders who come back for training are often not up to the mark either in actual riding, or the rules of the road.

20 years of experience is often the first years experience repeated nineteen times. Not exactly progress.

I would also ask when is the last time anyone picked up a Highway Code since the test. Not many I bet.

I’m another that only drives part-time & for 2 different agencies so there’s no way I’m going to be able to coax the full cost from them. Like Biker, I’m going to be mid-fifties when the CPC necessity happens & I almost certainly won’t bother unless there is some other incentive - higher rates, part covering of costs. It wouldn’t be so bad if the proposed subject areas didn’t sound so ‘woolly’ - more emphasis on subjects covered in advanced driving courses for example, rather than ‘logistics’ & ‘application of regulations’…

Im agency so whose truck would i take the test in? Or will i have to spend more money to a driving school.

LASHHGV,

I also don’t have any full time ties to any employer, so yes it is probably going to cost £300 to hire a unit and trailer to do the test.

BUT I still think that the knowledge gained will be of use to me in my chosen profession as a HGV driver so although we might not like the way its going to be implemented or run, I think the CPC could be beneficial, I just don’t see why we all expect people to pay out for OUR development, its our career, not theirs.

Alex