Will the mini artic return?

I remeber seeing a sprinter van turned artic tractor pulling a trailer once. Will the new rules regarding trailers allow this to happen on a 7.5 licence?

Something like this images.app.goo.gl/gtpAChVGXy1cpn5K9

Yes, once the railways have been enhanced with there massive invesment, freight will be channeled to regional points and localised deliveris done by this means. A return to what was done years ago… All the pointers are there.

OIP.jpgBring back the Scammell Scarab. Might be a bit of a ball ache getting a sleeper version though
Not my pic, credit to whoever took it

The Americans do it with pickup trucks

drivingline.com/articles/7- … -tow-rigs/

osark:
I remeber seeing a sprinter van turned artic tractor pulling a trailer once. Will the new rules regarding trailers allow this to happen on a 7.5 licence?

Something like this images.app.goo.gl/gtpAChVGXy1cpn5K9

What new rules? Do you mean new people getting BE for the price of B. They would still be restricted to 3.5T gtw.

Whereas C1+E is 12T but why would you do a C1 test now? Other than to drive existing C1 vehicles.

I have never seen these before could someone tell me the advantage of a 7.5t artic over a rigid surely adding the weight to make it an artic must drop the maximum it can carry which at 7.5t cannot be a lot.

Bin Man:
I have never seen these before could someone tell me the advantage of a 7.5t artic over a rigid surely adding the weight to make it an artic must drop the maximum it can carry which at 7.5t cannot be a lot.

C1 as an Artic (ie C1+E) is 12T limit not 7.5

stu675:

Bin Man:

The OP is discussing allowing this to happen on a 7.5t licence.

I remember seeing a sprinter van turned artic tractor pulling a trailer once. Will the new rules regarding trailers allow this to happen on a 7.5 licence?

We have them everywhere in Calgary, they look like 30 ft Trs . Took this photo near to were I live in the local Co-oP car Park ( sorry Car Lot ) . I’ll get a few more if I see any this week

I remember Morris Minor pick ups being used as artics for a bakery firm in Dundee. Back in the mid 60s.

stu675:

Bin Man:

Not 12t if you have grandfather rights, I think its around 8.5t…

It’s 8.25t but I’m pretty sure my old paper licence which I had pre HGV up until yr2000 it said 12t

But C1 only allows a trailer of 750kg ( hence 8.25T)
Unless there’s a proposed change I’m not aware of?
So a Sprinter as an Artic would be absolutely useless.

Not if you are carrying foam or crisps :smiley:

SWEDISH BLUE:
Not if you are carrying foam or crisps :smiley:

My old firm had Ford Transit unit carrying foam so it made sense in that case.

I have even seen a mini artic bin wagon in Utrecht on my travels complete with the binmen riding on the back of it !

Didn’t mini artics come under Class 4 many moons ago?

Not sure you’d want the return of a mini artic when all that’s in front is a Leyland Sherpa, a mate of mine ran this for a while

Simon Scrivin has a MAN van converted to have a fifth wheel on the back and a trailer.

mrginge:
Simon Scrivin has a MAN van converted to have a fifth wheel on the back and a trailer.

What’s the point of that? He will only be able to carry a few more very light pallets or boxes in that over a rigid version and not be able to access as many delivery points that vehicles of that weight normally do.

E298798E-F7B0-4B2B-B31B-1AC3D03575C5.jpg
I’ve looked at various options over the yrs and ended up back with this for weight carrying ,traction ,and can get in anywhere.

bigstraight6:

mrginge:

What’s the point of that? He will only be able to carry a few more very light pallets or boxes in that over a rigid version and not be able to access as many delivery points that vehicles of that weight normally do.

Well it’s gets all over Europe so im assuming there was a need for it to be built, maybe just for one lucrative contract that it is perfect for? Under 7.5t at a guess so no issue with expensive tolls and travel bans for express work.