Will I make it?

Hi guys, after starting on Class 1 last week I’ve been driving further than I used to distance wise as a day driver but haven’t had any nights out (yet). The gaffers just told me tomorrow he wants me to go on a run down to Kent which could be cutting it fine driving time wise. I understand I can increase my driving time from the standard 9 hours up to 10 hours.

I’ll be setting off from Telford and travelling down to Aylesham just down past Canterbury. I’ve just stuck it in the satnav and that’s given me a journey time of 4hours 20mins (in perfect conditions I assume) but I know the roads will be busy tomorrow with it being a Friday. I’ll be getting tipped at midday then travelling home.

Do you think I’ll make it in the 10 hours?

You will realise soon enough that you will make up time on what the satnav says. Dont stress too much about it.

Nope…is my guess.
Take your overnight kit ! And an extra sock

It will be pushing it on a Friday with traffic on the M25. Either Heathrow or Dartford depending which way you go.

446 miles, need to average 44.6 miles an hour.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I’m sure Dozy will be along shortly to give some tips about getting home from the Deep South on a Friday night

Getting tipped at midday eh
Not a chance

By the time you’ve cleared dartford…you’ll be chock up to the ■■■■■■■■ in it.
Set your stall out now…and have an easy Friday.

If in doubt go prepared for a not out.

If you get a quickish tip don’t waste driving time sat in traffic.
Park up while later when things have calmed down.
Or have a night out…

axletramp:
Or have a night out…

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: another one without a life

i had a crap friday last week after a good start.found out airbags where ■■■■■■ on trl.so had to run it to our depot in strood from erith at 3.30pm thought thats it in stuck there till next morning.but no it was a clear run to strood fueled up headed striaght back to dagenham picked up trl onto a13 then onto a406 onto m11 and m25 up m1 to northampton.slowed for tunnel and 5 mins at luton and for a friday afternoon it was quiet at that time god knows why.but if u can leave it late and do a 15 u could get back if u hang it out.but take ur gear with u just in case

Sounding as if the general consensus is that I’ll be very lucky to do it, I’ve packed for the night anyway. I think I’ll have a better idea once I get there and get tipped and like you say could decide to leave it a little later before leaving, but I’m definitely expecting to have to stay the night :frowning:

I think I’ll probably pick a layby or an industrial estate for parking, It would pain me to pay the prices I’ve seen mentioned on here for parking. Am I right in thinking that I can take a reduced rest of 9 hours then get straight back on the road? For example if I were to run out of time and get parked up at 5pm, I could in theory set off again at 2am the following morning?

dozy:

axletramp:
Or have a night out…

Or a man who refuses to be ruled by stress?

dozy:

axletramp:
Or have a night out…

Dozy which depot do you run from out of curiosity?

Redrum:
Sounding as if the general consensus is that I’ll be very lucky to do it, I’ve packed for the night anyway. I think I’ll have a better idea once I get there and get tipped and like you say could decide to leave it a little later before leaving, but I’m definitely expecting to have to stay the night :frowning:

I think I’ll probably pick a layby or an industrial estate for parking, It would pain me to pay the prices I’ve seen mentioned on here for parking. Am I right in thinking that I can take a reduced rest of 9 hours then get straight back on the road? For example if I were to run out of time and get parked up at 5pm, I could in theory set off again at 2am the following morning?

Does your company not pay for parking ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostSomeWhere:
Does your company not pay for parking ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest I’m not sure but don’t want to risk being out of pocket incase they don’t

Do most firms pay parking out of curiosity?

You won’t find it easy parking in Kent.

dozy:

axletramp:
Or have a night out…

What’s that supposed to mean?

Always carry a basic night bag in my opinion. Any day can go t1ts. I always know I can be warm, comfortable and eat something in an emergency. You don’t need a massive bag

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Take your gear, set out to do the job, get as far as you can but allow time to find somewhere to park. Have a night out if it is needed.
You could fly down and back comfortably or run out of time due to traffic, for instance there was a problem on the M25 this evening Dartford bound clockwise. The matrix signals on the M40 were showing a three hour delay, I routed myself anti clock from the M40 to where I had to drop my trailer at Purfleet, on the way back to North Weald tonight at 1930 the traffic was still horrendous. You will have not only the M25 to contend with tomorrow but the M25/M40 or M1 homeward bound on a Friday. Plan for a night out, if you get home its a bonus.