Will i get sacked?

robroy:

Shug:
If the MUFC in stewheadMUFC stands for that football team then you fully deserve to get sacked

I was gonna say that first time I read it, but resisted the temptation. :laughing:

Thereā€™s only one orginal United . . . . . and they dont come from Manchester.

Getting sacked, not that much of a concern, it is not under your control at this point, and there is a wide world out there for you to move on.

Hitting things is a big concern, you must address that. Step down the cab and look as many times as required to make sure you do not hit anything. If you instead do not step down and cross fingers, youā€™d better get into another trade.

Hitting things and driving off, that is despicable.

I am agency, we do not get the sack, we get the ban. Got three bans myself since October, last one on Tuesday --though not formallly acquainted yet, I am effectively no longer on the books; so time to enjoy the mild dry weather in the outside doing some due maintenance to the van. Always look for the bright side of things

As one who knows nearly nothing about football. Think G.O.A.L. get out and look. Driving a class 2 near schools with all of the Chelsea tractors going about isnt easy. The Mummy"s think You are a driver so you will know how to reverse.

Itā€™s easily doneā€¦

I seem to be attracted to gate posts or them to me, as Iā€™ve hit a few while reversing, one was an expensive electric gate, it was ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  it down with rain that day camera was dirty and thought Iā€™d stopped intime and then drove off, got called into the office to explain and I said I donā€™t remember hitting it and to be honest I didnā€™t feel a thing, so, thought it was already like itā€¦

Never heard anymoreā€¦

NEVER offer to pay for damage, like said above the company has insurance, although Hacklings would do the work themselves!!!

alamcculloch:
As one who knows nearly nothing about football. Think G.O.A.L. get out and look. Driving a class 2 near schools with all of the Chelsea tractors going about isnt easy. The Mummy"s think You are a driver so you will know how to reverse.

Thought you might have gone for the ā€œlucky it wasnā€™t a child instead of a lamppostā€ instead of ā€œlucky it wasnā€™t a tractorā€.

Once upon a time, offending lamposts and other street obstructions were removed quietly by attaching a chain to the rear of the ā€˜Wagonā€™

ETS:
Most of the agencies Iā€™ve worked for in the past used to have a clause any damage due to negligence the driver covers the first Ā£500

In almost 3 decades of doing agency work Iā€™ve never ever had that even mentioned. Iā€™ve never had it mentioned by any company Iā€™ve worked directly for either including some that people on here have claimed had a policy of you paying.

You should join the cabin game. Hitting gates and lampposts are an everyday occurrence when trying to squeeze an oversized cabin through school gates in some poxy inner city primary school.

Conor:

ETS:
Most of the agencies Iā€™ve worked for in the past used to have a clause any damage due to negligence the driver covers the first Ā£500

In almost 3 decades of doing agency work Iā€™ve never ever had that even mentioned. Iā€™ve never had it mentioned by any company Iā€™ve worked directly for either including some that people on here have claimed had a policy of you paying.

They never mention it - itā€™s buried somewhere in the contract. Whether they will actually enforce it and demand cash Iā€™ve not had the opportunity to find out

I suggest that you have a word with your union rep, just to put him in the picture.

Just to add, whatever you do, donā€™t mention the earpiece or itā€™ll he instant dismissal for distracted driver. They wonā€™t be worried about the accident anymore, but will worry about you tripping & claiming while carrying stuff due to being distracted by the music / podcast etc.

Hi, Whisperingsmith had to laugh about the chain comment. Many years ago somewhere in London, stopped to ask at newsagent for directions, turns out Iā€™m facing wrong way. No problem ill spin it round. Now you all know whatā€™s coming. thought motors a bit sluggish, just give it a bit more, oops, pulled a lamppost out of the perpendicular. Only one bloke on the street and heā€™s busily writing down my reg. Okay hands up notify plod, when they arrive they ask were you doing u turn ,NO GUV not me, thats ok then but you cant go anywhere with the rear underrun bar stuck out at right angles. No problem officer wrap chain round bar lay other end behind rear tyre and reverse. Just give us a shout when its straight officer. Question after seeing that, do you make a habit of knocking down lampposts. Strangely never heard anymore about it. thebeardedone

thebeardedone:
Hi, Whisperingsmith had to laugh about the chain comment. Many years ago somewhere in London, stopped to ask at newsagent for directions, turns out Iā€™m facing wrong way. No problem ill spin it round. Now you all know whatā€™s coming. thought motors a bit sluggish, just give it a bit more, oops, pulled a lamppost out of the perpendicular. Only one bloke on the street and heā€™s busily writing down my reg. Okay hands up notify plod, when they arrive they ask were you doing u turn ,NO GUV not me, thats ok then but you cant go anywhere with the rear underrun bar stuck out at right angles. No problem officer wrap chain round bar lay other end behind rear tyre and reverse. Just give us a shout when its straight officer. Question after seeing that, do you make a habit of knocking down lampposts. Strangely never heard anymore about it. thebeardedone

No Sir, I was a Boy Scout way back. Be Prepared was/ is my motto.

Donā€™t offer to pay anything.

Is it 100% that you actually knocked down the lampost and were provably seen to donso? Especially if you didnā€™t feel anything. There is always a chance that it was someone else and you are a scape goat

topdog1606:

Is it 100% that you actually knocked down the lampost and were provably seen to donso? Especially if you didnā€™t feel anything. There is always a chance that it was someone else and you are a scape goat

This

When is the date of the investigation and are you working till then or suspended ?

drover:

topdog1606:

This

I was working for Stobarts in the summer. Took a few days off, 3 days after finishing work for 5 days got a phone call from the agency that i am suspended because I damaged a truck and trailer and not reported it, seen on CCTV doing it. News to me, before finishing work that day I walked round both the truck and trailer and there was no fresh damage to it.

A couple of weeks later just got my holiday paid into the bank, never heard from the agency since.

stewheadMUFC:
Hi all, not long in the industry. Driving class 2 for foodservice company 5 months now, still within my 6 months probationary period. Unfortunitly i have been given a date for an investigation meeting as i failed to report an accident, which i generally wasnt aware happened at the time.

it was my first day in a brand new truck (merc after driving dafs), whilst reversing along a narrow lane (in school grounds) approaching an area were i could turn the lorry, a warning light started flashing on dash which brought my attention away from reversing camera a few seconds. when i looked quickly up i noticed i had veered off path over grass on right so slammed breaks and straightened lorry to continue reversing. Throughout this motion i thought i heard my rear door flapping at back (i.e forgot to lock after the drop)so when i got out into main carpark to turn lorry, i got out of the lorry and checked round backs but doors were shut. Thought nothin of it and went onto my next drop.

The next morning i got pulled in the office by boss saying that school had rang and said id wiped out a lampost and didnt report it. He had went through the cctv footage on lorry showing i had driving over the top of one, which wad rooted in the grass id veered onto. He also seen on tge footage me gettong out of the lorry to go round back to check minutes afer (which i know looks like i knew), but generally i had no idea! I know was distracted when it happened, also had earpiece in one ear but the fact it was rooted in grass i didnt feel or see a thing.

The way it stands now is ive to go for this investigation meeting as it is deemed gross misconduct failing to report.

Have i to start thinking about a new job or do you think il be ok (taking im still within probation period) into account. My manager does seem a fair guy, by how he speaks anyway, but i know since ive been there other new drivers have been let go instantly through causing Ā£Ā£ of damage to trucks in incidents, so turnover does seem quite high.

Also if i do let go, should i be able to get another job ok in the industry considering whats happened? Thanks guys.

After reading your account of what is a minor accident (nobody was hurt ) i donā€™t see how they can sack you ā€¦ but then i saw your user name and more precisely the MUFC bit , i have totally changed my mind and think either a very long custodial sentence or maybe the death penalty should be appropriate :wink:

ramone:
After reading your account of what is a minor accident (nobody was hurt ) i donā€™t see how they can sack you .

Heā€™s within his probationary period, and obviously has less than two years service, so can be let go for any reason.

Zac_A:

ramone:
After reading your account of what is a minor accident (nobody was hurt ) i donā€™t see how they can sack you .

Heā€™s within his probationary period, and obviously has less than two years service, so can be let go for any reason.

I think that was my attempt at humour