Will i get sacked?

Hi all, not long in the industry. Driving class 2 for foodservice company 5 months now, still within my 6 months probationary period. Unfortunitly i have been given a date for an investigation meeting as i failed to report an accident, which i generally wasnt aware happened at the time.

it was my first day in a brand new truck (merc after driving dafs), whilst reversing along a narrow lane (in school grounds) approaching an area were i could turn the lorry, a warning light started flashing on dash which brought my attention away from reversing camera a few seconds. when i looked quickly up i noticed i had veered off path over grass on right so slammed breaks and straightened lorry to continue reversing. Throughout this motion i thought i heard my rear door flapping at back (i.e forgot to lock after the drop)so when i got out into main carpark to turn lorry, i got out of the lorry and checked round backs but doors were shut. Thought nothin of it and went onto my next drop.

The next morning i got pulled in the office by boss saying that school had rang and said id wiped out a lampost and didnt report it. He had went through the cctv footage on lorry showing i had driving over the top of one, which wad rooted in the grass id veered onto. He also seen on tge footage me gettong out of the lorry to go round back to check minutes afer (which i know looks like i knew), but generally i had no idea! I know was distracted when it happened, also had earpiece in one ear but the fact it was rooted in grass i didnt feel or see a thing.

The way it stands now is ive to go for this investigation meeting as it is deemed gross misconduct failing to report.

Have i to start thinking about a new job or do you think il be ok (taking im still within probation period) into account. My manager does seem a fair guy, by how he speaks anyway, but i know since ive been there other new drivers have been let go instantly through causing ££ of damage to trucks in incidents, so turnover does seem quite high.

Also if i do let go, should i be able to get another job ok in the industry considering whats happened? Thanks guys.

Hands up, tell the truth, you will have to admit to distraction,but if you were genuinely unaware of the lamp post say so. but why did you have a earpiece in, just wondering in this day and age . Shift happens to us all , Ive done worse, thats what insurance is for, just remember next time stop , look and listen if distracted.

teatime:
Hands up, tell the truth, you will have to admit to distraction,but if you were genuinely unaware of the lamp post say so. but why did you have a earpiece in, just wondering in this day and age . Shift happens to us all , Ive done worse, thats what insurance is for, just remember next time stop , look and listen if distracted.

Ive told them i was distracted and didnt see the post. Bluetooth earpiece for listenin to my podcasts when working and taking calls. yeah its definitly 100% a learning curve

Be honest, show remorse, make all the right noises and you’ll be fine. It class 2 food services mate, people aren’t exactly falling over themselves to do that work so they’ll be loathe to sack you.

the maoster:
Be honest, show remorse, make all the right noises and you’ll be fine. It class 2 food services mate, people aren’t exactly falling over themselves to do that work so they’ll be loathe to sack you.

Thats what i will be doing mate, i’m goin to offer to pay for half of the damage and see if that can swing it my way abit. Just out of curiosity being new to the game, i know all the handballing with class 2 is abit of a ballache, but i havnt seen anywhere else paying better (in northern ireland) and im home for 2pm everyday. What else class 2 is there out there that would be more enjoyable and equalling £15.50 per hour, as i havnt seen it?

stuff offering to pay anything ! Thats what insurance is for . Take on board what the maoster says.

Explain…

Apologise and show remorse.

Under no circumstances whatsoever offer to pay anything towards the damage.

They’re insured, they’re making millions and damage like this is part of running a transport business.

Unless you shagged your bosses drunken wife behind the boozer at the work’s christmas party I think it’s safe to assume that if you fess up you won’t be sacked

How can you drive over the top of a lamp post and not notice
It. How big was the lamp post?

yourhavingalarf:
Explain…

They’re insured, they’re making millions and damage like this is part of running a transport business.

Listen to this advice…

Do not under any circumstances offer to pay for anything, all you are doing is screwing the job for others that follow. Like has been said, put your hands up take responsibility… Let the insurance cover the damage…

You might end up getting the boot it’s impossible for us to know as there are so many variables but considering you doing the job that the majority of us avoid like the plague then there’s a good chance they will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck

teatime:
stuff offering to pay anything ! Thats what insurance is for . Take on board what the maoster says.

Won’t there be a £1,000 excess that the firm will have to pick up?

But agreed, you don’t want to make it acceptable that the drivers are picking that up.

stewheadMUFC:

the maoster:

Thats what i will be doing mate, i’m goin to offer to pay for half of the damage and see if that can swing it my way abit. Just out of curiosity being new to the game, i know all the handballing with class 2 is abit of a ballache, but i havnt seen anywhere else paying better (in northern ireland) and im home for 2pm everyday. What else class 2 is there out there that would be more enjoyable and equalling £15.50 per hour, as i havnt seen it?

Dont offer to pay for anything, if you do they will take you for a right mug. It must have been a very small lamp post. This sort of thing happens all of the time.

drover:
Listen to this advice…

Do not under any circumstances offer to pay for anything, all you are doing is screwing the job for others that follow. Like has been said, put your hands up take responsibility… Let the insurance cover the damage…

You might end up getting the boot it’s impossible for us to know as there are so many variables but considering you doing the job that the majority of us avoid like the plague then there’s a good chance they will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck

Most of the agencies I’ve worked for in the past used to have a clause any damage due to negligence the driver covers the first £500

fingermissing:
How can you drive over the top of a lamp post and not notice
It. How big was the lamp post?

about 3/4s the size of your average one in the street, i didnt feel or here anything and my wheels didnt bobble over it on the ground . Was also reversing so wasnt lookin out the window ahead of me to se it lying there. if it was rooted in concrete as apposed to grass im sure id of defintly felt the lorry shake

drover:

yourhavingalarf:
Explain…

Listen to this advice…

Good luck

whats every other class 2 driver doing then, i must be missin a trick?

ETS:

drover:
Listen to this advice…

Good luck

Most of the agencies I’ve worked for in the past used to have a clause any damage due to negligence the driver covers the first £500

They have that clause and you still worked for them :exclamation:

stewheadMUFC:

drover:

yourhavingalarf:
Explain…

Listen to this advice…

Good luck

whats every other class 2 driver doing then, i must be missin a trick?

If you’re referring to the type of jobs they do then there’s loads of other types of class 2 jobs out there. Food service really is the lowest in my opinion but that of course is just my opinion. & I’m sure some love the graft, personally I’m well past wanting to work for a living :laughing:

If the MUFC in stewheadMUFC stands for that football team then you fully deserve to get sacked

Shug:
If the MUFC in stewheadMUFC stands for that football team then you fully deserve to get sacked

I was gonna say that first time I read it, but resisted the temptation. :laughing:

We all have a few bumps to our name, I once hit a lamp-post in a deserted Tesco car park in Bridlington, (I had young children at that time and sleep was a precious & rare commodity). I bent it a fair bit, but I certainly knew I’d done it from the noise. I phoned the boss and fessed up, asking what they wanted me to do about it - “Wait ten minutes, if no staff have come out to see you, drive on an we can worry about it later”, came the response. Nothing came of it.

Tip for future: when manoeurvering, windows down, music off, ears pinned. Don’t have any widgets on or in your ear as it just screams “distracted driver” to any witness.