Will a robot take your job?

I stole this title and idea of posting after reading a thread on a professional forum for a different industry I work in. Do you believe the forecast?

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941

(HGV/LGV driver is listed under “large goods vehicle driver”)

Robots don’t buy/use the products/services they make/provide or pay taxes,just like redundant workers.What could possibly go wrong. :smiling_imp: :unamused: :laughing:

American reported by BBC. How much more proof do you need to know that the article isn’t worth reading? :laughing:

If it relied on my SatNav, not a chance…

I’d also be surprised if it came back with the wing mirrors still attached to the truck! :smiley:
I’m surprised they are still there with me driving! :laughing:

Ahhhh I suppose so… Does a Rampant Rabbit count :wink:

Freight Dog:
on a professional forum for a different industry I work in.

Lucky you man, lucky you…[emoji57]
I like that hgv drivers are 41% & pilots/engineers are only 25%:lol:
There was a panorama program about it not too long ago, lad in a DAF XF reckons it’ll never happen but I can see him being replaced by a robot/machine in future, the predictions seemed accurate to me, top earners stay, everybody else goes.

I remember a TV programme called Tomorrow’s World, they used to show inventions that would make life easier for us all in the future, this was back in the day before men, not robots, built cars. It was always showing inventions that would free up our valuable time so that we could live a longer, more relaxed life.
I think it’s called unemployment now.
As for this job being done by a robot, if someone wants it to happen it probably will, bot not for a very long time.

I can certainly see the idea where they connect the trucks via bluetooth on motorways been here before long full automation maybe a bit longer.
Things like trunking maybe fairly straightforward to do but hand bailing jobs may be a struggle

Can anyone really see a day coming where every truck on the road obeys all the rules all of the time? No, me neither. It would confuse car drivers more than they are already.
And what about the forkies? And goods in staff? Who are they going to annoy when a robot will just sit patiently, ignoring their stupid reasons why they can’t tip you.

nick2008:
Ahhhh I suppose so… Does a Rampant Rabbit count :wink:

:laughing: :laughing:

BillyHunt:
I remember a TV programme called Tomorrow’s World

I used to love watching that programme as a kid. I remember one in particular where the guy with the glasses and a kipper tie was raving about the new fangled computer things that were going to change our lives, he was stood beside one which was the size of a garden shed explaining what it could do. The bit that stuck in my mind was when he excitedly stated “it is predicted that one day there may be as many as ten computers in the country”! Awesome.

kr79:
Things like trunking maybe fairly straightforward to do but hand balling jobs may be a struggle

The vehicle will just drive itself to wherever it needs to be, the point of delivery/collection/maintenance could have a person who can manoeuvre it into the position required & do whatever they need to do.

BillyHunt:
Can anyone really see a day coming where every truck on the road obeys all the rules all of the time?

I can, machines make far less errors than humans.

BillyHunt:
It would confuse car drivers more than they are already.

Doesn’t matter, the cars they will be driving will be driving themselves too.

BillyHunt:
And what about the forkies?

They’ll probably be replaced too, have you seen a fully automated warehouse in operation?

Did wonder about this just before embarking on the driving career, but then realised the closest they’ve got is self-driving cars on wide American roads and one supposed self-driving truck.

Bringing that to nice British roads where you have pedestrians, animals, trees, uneven roads, narrow roads, roadworks etc to worry about…I think it’ll be quite some time before there’s any risk of losing driving jobs even for cars, never mind trucks. Might need some much more powerful computers for starters.

A robot wouldn’t want ma job :laughing:

With some cars having auto park features I have no doubt a computer could reverse on to a bay better than I could.

It’s like the terminator franchise never even happened…have we not learned anything from Sarah Conor jeez :confused:

A man called Robert took over my job when I left one place. Does that count?

How can a robot become a trucker? What exactly is it going to leak up the wheel in a layby?

Carryfast:
Robots don’t buy/use the products/services they make/provide or pay taxes,just like redundant workers.What could possibly go wrong. :smiling_imp: :unamused: :laughing:

A reporter for the Today Program on radio 4 was in Seattle last week, and he did one off his reports from the Port of Tacoma, He asked the Port Supervisor whom he was interviewing about automation on the port, the reply was classic, “I’ve yet to see the Robot that buys any of the goods in these containers”, BBC man shot down, and had no liberal lefty come back :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BillyHunt:
And what about the forkies? And goods in staff? Who are they going to annoy when a robot will just sit patiently, ignoring their stupid reasons why they can’t tip you.

Does that make Me a Robot, coz I ignor the little Hitlers :wink: