Why?????

Yeah Iggy that is a pet hate of mine, luckily don’t experience it much, usually when i let someone on the motorway they tend to hold back till i am past.

I don’t understand these drivers that move over to let other traffic on motorway slip roads join.

In all the time I’ve been driving I’ve never once had a problem joining a motorway, be it empty or at 100+ tonnes with a low loader. Quite what is so difficult about matching your speed to the traffic already on the motorway and slotting in behind someone is beyond me. If there’s a line of trucks in lane 1 then I don’t expect any of them to move over for me; it’s up to me to sort myself out and if that means creeping down the slip road at 30mph til they’ve all gone past and a gap appears then so be it. :confused:

Not really practical though, if your on a short sliproad and fully loaded, and the inside lane is full of traffic then you can’t slow to a crawl and then pick up to 56mph quickly enough not to hold anyone up, so it’s in their interest to move over to let you on, or someone will be stuck behind you while you get back up to speed. I’ll move over to lane 2 when the sliproad is busy with merging traffic, or it’s a truck and my lane 2 is fairly clear.

But if it’s is a single car I won’t move over, usually they’re so stupid they just accelerate and don’t look at what’s already on the motorway, then drive parallel with you and realise at the last minute they’re not gonna make it so slam on the brakes and tuck in behind. What’s easier, moving a 45ft truck across a lane, or a car altering it’s speed to slot into the traffic. Sometimes I get a car well ahead of me, coming down the sliproad and they can easily make it into lane 1, but then they slow down, so I flash em in sometimes, but no they slow and slow, weave across as if they’re about to go, all the time making you brake incase they dive infront, and usually you end up slowing right down and they still don’t move across…or do, so many ■■■■■ about.

Kiowan:
Not really practical though, if your on a short sliproad and fully loaded, and the inside lane is full of traffic then you can’t slow to a crawl and then pick up to 56mph quickly enough not to hold anyone up

:unamused:

Well that reply just says it all.

So “you can’t slow to a crawl” you say? So that means that regardless of whether lane 1 traffic has nowhere to go, you will continue with your foot to the floor and barge your way in when the slip road runs out, right? Highly professional…

That isn’t what he is saying , you are reading it wrong .

paul@midway:
That isn’t what he is saying , you are reading it wrong .

What is he saying then, in your opinion? :unamused:

If your going to be shirty and sarcastic I won’t tell you …

With the attitude you seem to be displaying , why bother .
You seem to be spoiling for conflict over it .

Just to add a bit of fuel to this debate :slight_smile: - If you pull into lane 2 and let the other lorry coming out of the slip into lane 1 and it then sits just behind your rear and flashes you in - do you go in with only a few feet gap or do you stay in lane 2? - what if the lane 1 lorry does not back off? - how long do you stay in lane 2?

This should stir it a bit :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

What i’m saying is if there’s an artic coming down a sliproad with a reasonable amoutn of speed it’s more likely traffic will move to let it join. if you come to a virtual stop on tyhe sliproad to wait for a gap in heavy traffic, all I can say is good luck to find a gap sufficient for you to pick up enough speed to join the motorway in a slow loaded truck without causing a holdup.

Whereas traffic moving into lane 2 to let you on in the first place doesn’t really slow anyone down. Waiting for someone who’s almost come to a stop on a sliproad to get up to speed ON the motorway will…(unless you plan to use the hard shoulder to get your speed back up?)

If you have to come to slow right down on the sliproad to get in because nobody gives you a space then there’s no other option, but I’ve personally never encountered it, the idea of a sliproad is to get your speed up, if people already on the motorway don’t give you room to join then it makes the sliproad fairly useless, may aswell have a T junction.

Kiowan:
What i’m saying is if there’s an artic coming down a sliproad with a reasonable amoutn of speed it’s more likely traffic will move to let it join. if you come to a virtual stop on tyhe sliproad to wait for a gap in heavy traffic, all I can say is good luck to find a gap sufficient for you to pick up enough speed to join the motorway in a slow loaded truck without causing a holdup.

Whereas traffic moving into lane 2 to let you on in the first place doesn’t really slow anyone down. Waiting for someone who’s almost come to a stop on a sliproad to get up to speed ON the motorway will…(unless you plan to use the hard shoulder to get your speed back up?)

If you have to come to slow right down on the sliproad to get in because nobody gives you a space then there’s no other option, but I’ve personally never encountered it, the idea of a sliproad is to get your speed up, if people already on the motorway don’t give you room to join then it makes the sliproad fairly useless, may aswell have a T junction.

Good point well made, and if there’s no room for a bit of courtesy between us then God help us 'cos we get precious little from other road users :sunglasses:

ROG:
Just to add a bit of fuel to this debate :slight_smile: - If you pull into lane 2 and let the other lorry coming out of the slip into lane 1 and it then sits just behind your rear and flashes you in - do you go in with only a few feet gap or do you stay in lane 2? - what if the lane 1 lorry does not back off? - how long do you stay in lane 2?

If he’s flashed me in and I can see that I’m clear of him then I’ll pull in and thank him. If he’s happy driving with a 12" gap then fine. He’s the one that’ll be at fault if I have to anchor on and he goes into the back of me.

Kiowan:

But you haven’t answered the question. :unamused: If there is nowhere for the stuff in lane 1 to go and there’s no gap for you to pull into, what are gonna do then? By your previous reply, your attitude is to go hell for leather down the slip road and expect everyone to move out of your way because you think you have some sort of divine right. There is no point getting up to 56 mph on the slip road if there’s nowhere for you to go when it runs out. That is the point I’m making and hence if lane 1 is chocker with no gaps for 200 yards then you should adjust your speed along the slip road to aim for that gap (even if that means driving at 20mph) and not a non-existant one that you intend creating at the side of you by forcing Steady Eddie into lane 2 :unamused: .

I can guarantee you right now that if you come down a slip road matching my speed and expect me to move into lane 2 for you then you’ll be going for long drive down the hard shoulder.

Paul Hoggard:

ROG:

If he’s flashed me in and I can see that I’m clear of him then I’ll pull in and thank him. If he’s happy driving with a 12" gap then fine. He’s the one that’ll be at fault if I have to anchor on and he goes into the back of me.

Will he… the driver moving in would have deliberately made the situation dangerous

ROG:

Paul Hoggard:

ROG:

Will he… the driver moving in would have deliberately made the situation dangerous

Tough! Personally I would leave it longer before pulling in, but if they flash then they’re clearly happy for you to pull in so I will do. But it’s all neither here nor there anyway because I don’t pull out to let others join, unless there’s vast difference in speed and I know I could get past and get back into lane 1 before they start accelerating up my inside. :unamused:

Paul Hoggard:

ROG:

Paul Hoggard:

ROG:

Tough! Personally I would leave it longer before pulling in, but if they flash then they’re clearly happy for you to pull in so I will do. But it’s all neither here nor there anyway because I don’t pull out to let others join, unless there’s vast difference in speed and I know I could get past and get back into lane 1 before they start accelerating up my inside. :unamused:

So, you would be prepared to lose your licence if it went pear shaped then :question:

ROG:
So, you would be prepared to lose your licence if it went pear shaped then :question:

Yes. Because it would never happen. You go into back of me, your fault. Thanks for your insurance details, I’ve belled you an ambulance and recovery truck, ta-ra.

Paul Hoggard:
In all the time I’ve been driving I’ve never once had a problem joining a motorway, be it empty or at 100+ tonnes with a low loader.

Well your empty one you could try and go from Lancaster onto the M6 northbound in the peak hour (junction 31?), you WON’T get on unless someone moves over for you. And if everyone drives ‘as they should’, i.e in the left hand lane unles they are overtaking you would be there until it goes quiet in the afternoon before you got out!!
As for 100+tonnes with a low loader, they go so slow and are so big with orange flashing lights that you don’t have a problem anywhere with them, everyone gives you a wide berth. Infact thats a prety bad example for you to give, its probably harder to slip on a motorway with an unladen 7.5 tonner than a 100ton+ rig.

Paul Hoggard:

ROG:

Yes. Because it would never happen. You go into back of me, your fault. Thanks for your insurance details, I’ve belled you an ambulance and recovery truck, ta-ra.

I think you are missing the point - you pull in front and brake, the truck you just pulled in front of goes into your rear - police arrive and take witness statements - you made the unsafe move - you end up in court and lose your licence and maybe, causing a death by dangerous driving :open_mouth:

you wont to drive over here then when you can overtake thay all do 89 90 ks but when you carnt overtake as when the ban is in thay do 80 that gets your blood going .

Paul Hoggard wrote…

I don’t understand these drivers that move over to let other traffic on motorway slip roads join

can guarantee you right now that if you come down a slip road matching my speed and expect me to move into lane 2 for you then you’ll be going for long drive down the hard shoulder

If he’s flashed me in and I can see that I’m clear of him then I’ll pull in and thank him. If he’s happy driving with a 12" gap then fine. He’s the one that’ll be at fault if I have to anchor on and he goes into the back of me

I am shocked at your answers and attitude towards road users. I hope I don’t use the same motorways as you. In my opinion your selfish and inconsiderate and are an accident waiting to happen. The only reason you probably haven’t had an accident yet is for people like myself who have to make allowances for people like you on our roads. A bit of common curtesy for your fellow truckers is the order of the day!

Not impressed at all. Nige