Why?????

Why is it when the heavy lorry in front slows on a hill giving you the chance to pass & get along side not just a bit but you almost pass then the road levels out then they sit there or even worse start to undertake you.

Why sit there for several miles & prevent you from pulling back in & allowing the motorist’s behind a chance to pass.

Why after more miles you get in front & move over & the go down a hill they pull out & overspeed up to 70 & pass you & several other trucks.

Why after all that you reach your junction & stop at the red light only to be beside that truck.

Are we drag racing on the motorways?
Is it a race?
Is it some kinda ego somthing somthing? (long day cant think of the words :confused: )

Why? Why? Why? Whats the point?

robntl:
Is it some kinda ego somthing somthing? (long day cant think of the words :confused: )

It’s an ego thing and not being able to work out that it’s not personal

think its def an ego thing.
its stupid and dangerous, and bloody annoying.
notice the people that do this too ya, will never look at you, if you get along side them.

robntl:
Why is it when the heavy lorry in front slows on a hill giving you the chance to pass & get along side not just a bit but you almost pass then the road levels out then they sit there or even worse start to undertake you.

Why sit there for several miles & prevent you from pulling back in & allowing the motorist’s behind a chance to pass.

Why after more miles you get in front & move over & the go down a hill they pull out & overspeed up to 70 & pass you & several other trucks.

Why after all that you reach your junction & stop at the red light only to be beside that truck.

Are we drag racing on the motorways?
Is it a race?

There is no point, just ease up and sit behind them, you’ll just get all flustered otherwise . Seems daft to try so hard to pass and end up beside them at the lights anyway hey?!

if they dont look give them a wave… :smiley: they will be looking out of the corner of there eye…they do this all the time from felixstowe right up to the A12 southbound…metioning no names/reg numbers but a few are on this forum who do this…maybe this is why the council(I think or is it higheways)want a overtaking ban on the a14…

do what i do, just sit on the outside and you eventually come up behind a slower moving truck, car etc. then they have to slow and your on your way . :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Years ago when I first moved on to the c2’s from the faster 7.5 ton I used to back off & flash em in but soon ralised it was a waste of time as no one bothers to say thanks. Now days if I decide to back off & let em in front they look over & give you a funny look so hey when in rome & all that.

just the other day a driver from the same company was slowly passing me & i had the cruse set 2mph lower than the limter I shut down the cruse & used a bit on exhaust brake so he could pass & as he did you should have seen the glare I got. Thanks for the thanks mate i thought.

I was driving back from the Glos DTC using the M5/M42/M40 and was demonstrating to my trainees how to assess such a situation from a good half mile back and I got them to work out if I could make reasonable progress by trying to pass. - it came back as a NO most times.

It’s a combination of bad manners, ignorance and idleness.

The first two because the culprit obviously has no respect for his fellow drivers or for their safety.

Idleness because he can’t be bothered to flick his cruise control off for a couple of seconds to allow you in.

If they were fully freighted and approaching a steep hill I could understand it; with most rigs having 400+ horses there’s really no excuse for it though.

“Why why why”…

Is that you, Alan Brazil ? :smiley:

Just to play devil’s advocate for a minute, if you’'re under horsed and on tight schedules it can be difficult to make and maintain progress esp on todays roads which is why you keep the pedal hard down on the roads that you can. BUT also what I find fascinating is the aerodynamics of running along side another big motor, the suction, the ram air effect,the inertia and then the momentum of overtaking all allied to the kicking in and out of the limiters that all lets you pass or not!! SO why don’t the b*ggers let you in, I don’t know?? :sunglasses:

gnasty gnome:

The first two because the culprit obviously has no respect for his fellow drivers or for their safety.

Idleness because he can’t be bothered to flick his cruise control off for a couple of seconds to allow you in.

If they were fully freighted and approaching a steep hill I could understand it; with most rigs having 400+ horses there’s really no excuse for it though.

This is right mate. Sometimes when you are in lane two and you need to come off and you indicate at about the 300 yard marker and look at them and they just won’t stop or slow down and let you over so you can get off. They just keep on going on cruise control in lane one and cause you to slam on or miss your turn off. Not that its happened to me though, but its happened to quite a few on here, and they where livid about not being let off the motorway. And they wheren’t ahy to complain about it either. Its getting worse out there i swear.

gnasty gnome:

If they were fully freighted and approaching a steep hill I could understand it; with most rigs having 400+ horses there’s really no excuse for it though

can i be cheeky and ask 2 questions here. 1 whats cruise control? 2 where do i find a renault premium with 400 hundred horses coz i’d be lucky if mine had 40 :laughing:

Mike-C:

gnasty gnome:

This is right mate. Sometimes when you are in lane two and you need to come off and you indicate at about the 300 yard marker and look at them and they just won’t stop or slow down and let you over so you can get off. They just keep on going on cruise control in lane one and cause you to slam on or miss your turn off. Not that its happened to me though, but its happened to quite a few on here, and they where livid about not being let off the motorway. And they wheren’t ahy to complain about it either. Its getting worse out there i swear.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

r-kid:

gnasty gnome:

If they were fully freighted and approaching a steep hill I could understand it; with most rigs having 400+ horses there’s really no excuse for it though

can i be cheeky and ask 2 questions here. 1 whats cruise control? 2 where do i find a renault premium with 400 hundred horses coz i’d be lucky if mine had 40 :laughing:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … 219#274219

You naughty boys ,taking the proverbial… :sunglasses:

JamesC:
Just to play devil’s advocate for a minute, if you’'re under horsed and on tight schedules it can be difficult to make and maintain progress esp on todays roads which is why you keep the pedal hard down

LOL !!!

robntl:

If they are starting to undertake you when the road straightens out they have a faster truck than you, so why you trying to overtake them in the first place., so what they are supposed to slow down to let you in, so they can then overtake you a minute later ?

The truck ive been driving for past few weeks, is great on the hill but actual top speed is crap about 52mph. Most things go past me. But it will sit at 52mph on the hills. I judge how long the uphill gradient is and how far away the heavy in front is, i won’t start overtaking if by the time i’m just gonna get by he is gonna take off.

On the other hand i sit at 52mph all day long cause of the lovely digi tacho adding on minutes getting outta glasgow in rush hour means my run is 4hrs 20mins before i start reversing it on a bay. I won’t slow down for anyone, cause everyone goes past me, i’d spend half my shift on the brake peddle.

Plus as well ive allways been of the opinon if you are overtaking someone its your responsability to get past or not get past. Not the person you are overtaking. So if you start a 10mile overtake or one on a hill where the other truck is gonna get away from you when the road straightens out its your problem not the other trucks.

If I’m behind someone who has a limiter set 1kph faster than mine but slows down a bit on hills enough to overtake, i’ll just knock the cruise back a bit, because if I overtake, when I get past and it levels out, he’s only gonna end up overtaking me afterwards, really, really, really slowly. If someone does have a limiter 1kph faster than mine and is passing me very slowly i just knock it back a bit to get it over and done with, no point sitting side by side for half an hour.

The ones I can’t stand are those that have a limiter reasonably slower than yours, you overtake them on the flat or a hill or whever, then a bit later on they come sailing past at 60-70mph letting it run out downhill, only for u to get stuck behind them again when they run out of momentum, and that’s definately not confined to shagged out old trucks with 15bhp pulling lead blocks. Had a vw campervan on the m5 tonight towing a boat. my limiter was 86 and he must’'ve been doing about 83/84, so I pass, but because he’s not on a cruise control or a limiter, he starts speeding up as i’m parallel and cuts me off, then slows on the hills, I go past, then comes back in front downhill, and does the same all over again…ignorant.

Kenny1975:

robntl:

If they are starting to undertake you when the road straightens out they have a faster truck than you, so why you trying to overtake them in the first place., so what they are supposed to slow down to let you in, so they can then overtake you a minute later ?

The truck ive been driving for past few weeks, is great on the hill but actual top speed is crap about 52mph. Most things go past me. But it will sit at 52mph on the hills. I judge how long the uphill gradient is and how far away the heavy in front is, i won’t start overtaking if by the time i’m just gonna get by he is gonna take off.

On the other hand i sit at 52mph all day long cause of the lovely digi tacho adding on minutes getting outta glasgow in rush hour means my run is 4hrs 20mins before i start reversing it on a bay. I won’t slow down for anyone, cause everyone goes past me, i’d spend half my shift on the brake peddle.

Plus as well ive allways been of the opinon if you are overtaking someone its your responsability to get past or not get past. Not the person you are overtaking. So if you start a 10mile overtake or one on a hill where the other truck is gonna get away from you when the road straightens out its your problem not the other trucks.

Spot on Kenny, i couldn’t of put it better.

TBH, I’m cool with the overtaking… as in if I start an overtake and can’t get past within a reasonable period of time, I’ll ease off and drop in behind again. Likewise, if I’ve got a fella sitting beside me for yonks in lane two, I’ll ease off and let him in front… he’s obviously in a much bigger hurry than I am… :laughing:

The one that’s winding me up at the moment is when I move into lane two to let someone onto the carriageway from a slip road, and they then hold me out there. I’ve shown some courtesy and moved over for them, the least they could do is let me back in again… :unamused:

It seems to be happening more often these days.