Why would a company want you to become a o/d

i havent seen the notice but have been told by our lads there a notice on the noticboard asking for trampers to become o/d,s.ill have to read it myself to know the full facts,but one lad said you had to have 15,000,theyd gar you work.
obviously until i read it the facts are a bit sketchy,but they defo want trampers to become o/d,ive never heard of this so have you any idea how it would benifit company,driver, :question: ,why would they do it :question: ta

Because they make a fortunate out of them paying only a quid a mile whilst charging the customer ten. :unamused:

Rob K:
Because they make a fortunate out of them paying only a quid a mile whilst charging the customer ten. :unamused:

well i guessed that was comming,but i cant see theyd have any take up if that was the case,too simple.
for a start why do they want trampers to become o/d,why not day shift,night shift,casual etc etc.
ill have to read it myself

I could be wrong, but don’t they come off the O licence? So the company could buy in more wagons without applying for permission. And as for “guaranteed” work - that’s bull.

The Sarge:
I could be wrong, but don’t they come off the O licence? So the company could buy in more wagons without applying for permission. And as for “guaranteed” work - that’s bull.

Yes, they normally guarantee you just enough to meet the finance payments.

Ady, you should listen to Rob, he may save your house and car going to the auction house! Ask yourself why they, whoever they are, would want to give up all their vast profits to a former employee.

so they have some old trucks they want to sell and think it would be nice to get some o/d’s to subsidise their business by not paying them when the work gets quiet :wink:

What was the job rate ?

Think about it, they’re not doing it for charity ! They will be doing it because it makes financial sense … for them !!

The trampers are probably the least profitable part of the firm as the day night motors are running 24 hours and they are paying you night out money while the lorry is parked up not earning.
I’d guess they would see you turning over enough to pay the bills and have a drivers wage put not enough extra to cope with the hassle of sorting out insurance maintaince vat etc

Its a bit of a no brainer really, the company gets to keep the truck and driver in effect, but no longer has to tax, insure, maintain or put fuel in it, or pay drivers wages. Any down time for that vehicle is no longer their worry and as has been pointed out, they no longer need it on their o licence.

Take heed of all these points, as an o/d myself who is very soon going to be looking for a job, I can promise you, if you rush into these things, it can be a very quick trip to the poor house!

Exactly the same happened in the last recession, they are not making a profit operating the trucks (or they would carry on operating them) and so they are trying to palm them off on some poor wooden-headed sap who is willing to collect the CCJs on their behalf.

Harry Monk:
Exactly the same happened in the last recession, they are not making a profit operating the trucks (or they would carry on operating them) and so they are trying to palm them off on some poor wooden-headed sap who is willing to collect the CCJs on their behalf.

And the sad thing is that there’s probably no shortage of willing numpties that are happy to do it so they can brag to their mates about having their “own” truck and being their “own boss”. :unamused:

Hence the maritime great deal for subbies at not a lot a mile and we can even sell you an overpriced big shiney truck.

kr79:
Hence the maritime great deal for subbies at not a lot a mile and we can even sell you an overpriced big shiney truck.

OOHHHHH!! A shiny thing…

Ady1

The rumour is this (So take this with a pinch of salt) :

They supply you with a leased truck complete with livery, insurance, guaranteed fuel deal, repair and maintenance and basically its yours on a franchise basis. You can then drive it yourself or pay someone else to do it whilst your on rest.

They will also help you with your business case to raise the required 15k running money and also help with your tax and accounts.

There is also a guaranteed minimum earnings

That’s what I’ve heard but there again it could be total ■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

m4rky:
Ady1

They supply you with a leased truck complete with livery, insurance, guaranteed fuel deal, repair and maintenance and basically its yours on a franchise basis. You can then drive it yourself or pay someone else to do it whilst your on rest.

They will also help you with your business case to raise the required 15k running money and also help with your tax and accounts.

And what happens when Ferrymasters or Wincanton are busy and they want you to do a couple of trailers for them? :wink:

Wheel Nut:

m4rky:
Ady1

And what happens when Ferrymasters or Wincanton are busy and they want you to do a couple of trailers for them? :wink:

I have no idea Wheel Nut but I do think its a great way of laying up your trampers on a minimum pay when its quiet whilst still making money on the leasing from them :wink:

m4rky:
I have no idea Wheel Nut but I do think its a great way of laying up your trampers on a minimum pay when its quiet whilst still making money on the leasing from them :wink:

What I meant, was would Stobart allow a liveried truck to pull a Wincanton trailer or container even though the driver is paying the bills?

Wheel Nut:

m4rky:

What I meant, was would Stobart allow a liveried truck to pull a Wincanton trailer or container even though the driver is paying the bills?

Sorry no idea - Like I said I was just passing on a rumour so I guess take it as that?

m4rky:
Ady1

i read it properly this morning and there saying gar profit unless im reading it wrong,also gar work,sounds alright to me but i cant do it as im not a tramper.
im thinking of going for the other jobs there suggesting ,SUPER TRUCKER[im not joking thats what it says],reading it its just another name for the old d.s.s drivers,cover holidays,sickness,any depot,shift etc,etc,my only concern is theres no mention of a van,mate recons youll get expenses,intrests me as im bored,change of scenery would be nice,im going to look into this as i fancy a change,but im not sure i want to leave my self wide open to ridicule for being called a SUPER TRUCKER[cant believe someone came up with that name] :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Wheel Nut:

m4rky:

wheelnut-it says your GAR work,youll not need to pull anyone elses tri,s as your gar work from stobarts

Wheel Nut:

The Sarge:

Yes, they normally guarantee you just enough to meet the finance payments.

Ady, you should listen to Rob, he may save your house and car going to the auction house! Ask yourself why they, whoever they are, would want to give up all their vast profits to a former employee.

wheelnut,i cant do it,if im reading it correctly there hoping for 50 TRAMPERS to become o/d,im a dayshift driver so for whatever reason i couldnt do it even if i wanted to,but it says GAR profit so how can you loose :question: