Why would a company want you to become a o/d

ady1:

Wheel Nut:

m4rky:
I have no idea Wheel Nut but I do think its a great way of laying up your trampers on a minimum pay when its quiet whilst still making money on the leasing from them :wink:

What I meant, was would Stobart allow a liveried truck to pull a Wincanton trailer or container even though the driver is paying the bills?

wheelnut-it says your GAR work,youll not need to pull anyone elses tri,s as your gar work from stobarts

Oh come on, don’t be so naive. Guaranteed maybe, ie. they guarantee you you’ll earn a minimum of £1000 per week :unamused: . And I guarantee it’ll be basically a Stobart equivalent of Maritime. Some mugs will be eager to sign up for it though, that is also 100% guaranteed!

Denis F:
so they have some old trucks they want to sell and think it would be nice to get some o/d’s to subsidise their business by not paying them when the work gets quiet :wink:

What was the job rate ?

Think about it, they’re not doing it for charity ! They will be doing it because it makes financial sense … for them !!

denis ,there gar you work,its not going to go quiet,there saying youll make a profit,yes youll not make what there going to make,but at least youll make a profit[time will tell how much

kr79:
The trampers are probably the least profitable part of the firm as the day night motors are running 24 hours and they are paying you night out money while the lorry is parked up not earning.
I’d guess they would see you turning over enough to pay the bills and have a drivers wage put not enough extra to cope with the hassle of sorting out insurance maintaince vat etc

thats strange because theres a rumour were all going to become trampers,24/7 is fine but like the other week i tipped in hull,rang in and was told to run 80 odd miles back empty to base as they needed trucks,in the morning they sent a truck up empty to pick a load up,if youd have had a tramper on it ,he could of tipped hull,nighted out in hull,then reloaded in morning saving 180 miles of empty running,didnt a.t say as much,our trampers make us efficient,im sure he said something like that,it sounds good running trucks 24/7 but at the end of the day you need that truck back for the next bloke,so you sometimes run back when scense would say parkm up and reload in morning

ady1:

Denis F:
so they have some old trucks they want to sell and think it would be nice to get some o/d’s to subsidise their business by not paying them when the work gets quiet :wink:

What was the job rate ?

Think about it, they’re not doing it for charity ! They will be doing it because it makes financial sense … for them !!

denis ,there gar you work,its not going to go quiet,there saying youll make a profit,yes youll not make what there going to make,but at least youll make a profit[time will tell how much

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

You’d make a good OD actually - believing all the BS that you’re told and thinking it’s the path to great riches. Why don’t you do it and then post a diary here on your progress. In fact I’d pay to read that.

Rob K:

ady1:

Denis F:

What was the job rate ?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

You’d make a good OD actually - believing all the BS that you’re told and thinking it’s the path to great riches. Why don’t you do it and then post a diary here on your progress. In fact I’d pay to read that.

But probably not enough to make it worthwhile :laughing:

Tarmac seem to have a lot of O/D’s, and the ones I have spoken to, seem happy with the deal.

bobobolinsky:
Tarmac seem to have a lot of O/D’s, and the ones I have spoken to, seem happy with the deal.

:laughing:

Being an O/D is a lifestyle choice.

Nobody is ever going to get rich as an O/D, though you may well make a good living at it, but at the end of they day you either like the lifestyle or you don’t. If you like it, so be it. If you don’t, then find another way of making a living.

Stobart, Maritime, Wincanton etc just play on the weakness of those who enjoy the lifestyle, and fair play to them. Nobody forces it upon you. You can either hack it or not.

FH16Globetrotter:
Being an O/D is a lifestyle choice.

Nobody is ever going to get rich as an O/D, though you may well make a good living at it, but at the end of they day you either like the lifestyle or you don’t. If you like it, so be it. If you don’t, then find another way of making a living.

Stobart, Maritime, Wincanton etc just play on the weakness of those who enjoy the lifestyle, and fair play to them. Nobody forces it upon you. You can either hack it or not.

AHHHHH RIIIIIIIIGHT…

That’s where so many are going wrong then! It’s not about being a businessman/woman and making good money. Ohhhhh noo, it’s all about the “lifestyle”. :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :unamused:

I guess that was what Mr. Tesco said to himself all those years ago then, right? “I don’t have any particular desire to make any money selling baked beans and cabbages, I just do it because I like the lifestyle!”.

WTF!

:unamused:

Rob K:
Because they make a fortunate out of them paying only a quid a mile whilst charging the customer ten. :unamused:

^^ what Rob said ^^

This is also the reason that contractors are ‘guaranteed’ work - the haulier makes a cut, with very little effort. Generally it makes sense to keep the contractors rolling, and earning you a tidy profit, even if your own fleet is standing.
However I wouldn’t take a mortgage out based on ‘guaranteed’ work - if volumes drop off a cliff, or the ‘parent’ haulier loses a contract, you could be dropped like a hot potato.

Also, there’s sometimes a clause that states you cannot haul for other firms. They don’t want you earning from their truck when they don’t get a cut :wink: It can be more like a franchise than being a true o/d.

ady1:

kr79:
The trampers are probably the least profitable part of the firm as the day night motors are running 24 hours and they are paying you night out money while the lorry is parked up not earning.
I’d guess they would see you turning over enough to pay the bills and have a drivers wage put not enough extra to cope with the hassle of sorting out insurance maintaince vat etc

thats strange because theres a rumour were all going to become trampers,24/7 is fine but like the other week i tipped in hull,rang in and was told to run 80 odd miles back empty to base as they needed trucks,in the morning they sent a truck up empty to pick a load up,if youd have had a tramper on it ,he could of tipped hull,nighted out in hull,then reloaded in morning saving 180 miles of empty running,didnt a.t say as much,our trampers make us efficient,im sure he said something like that,it sounds good running trucks 24/7 but at the end of the day you need that truck back for the next bloke,so you sometimes run back when scense would say parkm up and reload in morning

Don’t want to be all doom and gloom but I can’t see Andrew tinkler and William stobart sitting at hq saying out trampers are the most profitable trucks let’s sell them to the drivers so they can have the profit instead of us.
I think all these kind of deals are dubious you seem to get all the hassle of being an owner driver but you are still really an employee.

bobobolinsky:

Of course they are, they get extra long holidays when the job goes ■■■■ up and Tarmac do not have to worry about any standing costs. You can hardly go to Lafarge when Tarmac are quiet.

If you are going to be an owner driver, you wouldn’t want to be tied to just one company through financial or contractual ■■■■■■■■.

ady1:

m4rky:
Ady1

The rumour is this (So take this with a pinch of salt) :

They supply you with a leased truck complete with livery, insurance, guaranteed fuel deal, repair and maintenance and basically its yours on a franchise basis. You can then drive it yourself or pay someone else to do it whilst your on rest.

They will also help you with your business case to raise the required 15k running money and also help with your tax and accounts.

There is also a guaranteed minimum earnings

That’s what I’ve heard but there again it could be total ■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

i read it properly this morning and there saying gar profit unless im reading it wrong,also gar work,sounds alright to me but i cant do it as im not a tramper.
im thinking of going for the other jobs there suggesting ,SUPER TRUCKER[im not joking thats what it says],reading it its just another name for the old d.s.s drivers,cover holidays,sickness,any depot,shift etc,etc,my only concern is theres no mention of a van,mate recons youll get expenses,intrests me as im bored,change of scenery would be nice,im going to look into this as i fancy a change,but im not sure i want to leave my self wide open to ridicule for being called a SUPER TRUCKER[cant believe someone came up with that name] :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Too late for that Ady!

My mate had a franchise with Lynx before it got took over by fedex(i think) had it good, money, hours etc he looked at getting back into it with amtrak? But he said he crunched the numbers and it really wasn’t worth the extra hassle he may aswell just be a payroll driver.

I suspect they are doing it with trampers because they are a burden on a operation like stobarts, modern day transport you really need the truck to run night and day.

Stobarts wouldn’t give a slice of the pie away, id guess if you worked the figures out it be around the same amount you make already only you have more headaches at night.

Rob K:

bobobolinsky:

I’ll see you’re :laughing: Rob and raise you a :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

hammer:

Rob K:

bobobolinsky:

I’ll see you’re :laughing: Rob and raise you a :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

Rob K:

ady1:

Denis F:

What was the job rate ?

as i said i cant do the o/d as im not a tramper,im doing the super trucker job,after reading it again its doing any job ,run at your depot,covering sickness,holidays,as i already do any run or whatever they want me to do its what i already do,but you get a payrise of ÂŁ2,600 A YEAR :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ,ÂŁ2,600 for what you already do :wink: ,job just gets better :exclamation: :exclamation:

The Sarge:
Also, there’s sometimes a clause that states you cannot haul for other firms. They don’t want you earning from their truck when they don’t get a cut :wink: It can be more like a franchise than being a true o/d.

how many more times wheelnut :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ,there gar you work ,youll not need to haul for anyone else :unamused: :unamused: :frowning: :frowning:

44 Tonne Ton:

ady1:

m4rky:
Ady1

The rumour is this (So take this with a pinch of salt) :

They supply you with a leased truck complete with livery, insurance, guaranteed fuel deal, repair and maintenance and basically its yours on a franchise basis. You can then drive it yourself or pay someone else to do it whilst your on rest.

They will also help you with your business case to raise the required 15k running money and also help with your tax and accounts.

There is also a guaranteed minimum earnings

That’s what I’ve heard but there again it could be total ■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

i read it properly this morning and there saying gar profit unless im reading it wrong,also gar work,sounds alright to me but i cant do it as im not a tramper.
im thinking of going for the other jobs there suggesting ,SUPER TRUCKER[im not joking thats what it says],reading it its just another name for the old d.s.s drivers,cover holidays,sickness,any depot,shift etc,etc,my only concern is theres no mention of a van,mate recons youll get expenses,intrests me as im bored,change of scenery would be nice,im going to look into this as i fancy a change,but im not sure i want to leave my self wide open to ridicule for being called a SUPER TRUCKER[cant believe someone came up with that name] :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Too late for that Ady!

is that why im not sleeping well :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
,im loosing sleep over what folks think on here :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .