Why is finding work so hard?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome moparSTU :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics & avatars, How to use quotes, Driver CPC, and much moreā€¦

moparSTU:
B. we were told there was an ageing population of drivers in the UK which would lead to a dramatic shortfall of drivers.

WHO told you this :question: :question: :question:

I remember a survey that found that the average age of drivers was about 54 years.This surely means early retirement for some ill health and death for others so there ought to be a few jobs coming up from time to time .I also think its a bit mad that you can show up in a yard be given a truck and be expected to know the business

moparSTU:
B. we were told there was an ageing population of drivers in the UK which would lead to a dramatic shortfall of drivers.

WHO told you this :question: :question: :question:
[/quote]
Hi, I think this statement was used by the bbc, guardian and others reporting on recruitment drives that are targeting women and ethnic minorities and others and i`m sure i read about this somewhere else aswell. I have mostly worked as a forklift driver in various companies and also heard this from some truck drivers delivering/ picking up. Statements saying of a driver shortfall may not be correct but thats what i was led to believe at the time, generally a shortfall of drivers.

regards

stu

moparSTU:
I think this statement was used by the bbc, guardian and others reporting on recruitment drives that are targeting women and ethnic minorities and others and i`m sure i read about this somewhere else aswell. Statements saying of a driver shortfall may not be correct but thats what i was led to believe at the time, generally a shortfall of drivers.

how long ago was this :question: :question:

would have been about 2006/ 2007

moparSTU:
would have been about 2006/ 2007

Things were definitely better then but I donā€™t think there was a general LGV driver shortage - maybe in certain areas of the UKā€¦

I put myself through the off shore workers certificate in 93because there were shortages of most trades and skills due in part to ageing workforce source of this info? the jobcentre HUH.I got no where near a helicopter without the 2 years off shore experience.I believe at that time all catering was done by Fillipino labour.As this was before the popular internet I read recruitment pages in Press and Journal and sent letters off to potential employers until my cert. ran out after 3 years.Well you see folks things havent changed much over the years.

alamcculloch:
I put myself through the off shore workers certificate in 93because there were shortages of most trades and skills due in part to ageing workforce source of this info? the jobcentre HUH.I got no where near a helicopter without the 2 years off shore experience.I believe at that time all catering was done by Fillipino labour.As this was before the popular internet I read recruitment pages in Press and Journal and sent letters off to potential employers until my cert. ran out after 3 years.Well you see folks things havent changed much over the years.

What happened to the bus driving Al - are you still doing that?

Things are so bad in haulage right now here in Glasgow/Lanarkshire, that it looks like Iā€™m going to have to head back to the buses! :imp: :imp:

Yes ,I am still quite happily making the wheels on the bus go round and round.Still too many school holidays and dont start me on In service days.Phoned Driver Hire looking for work over Easter hols. but nowt doing.I clicked on all jobs but nothing matched my criteria.Great!!

alamcculloch:

Yup, and there are other industries too that suffer from unscrupulous recruitment agencies. Train to be a sparky in a few months etc. With regards to offshore work, unless you know someone in the job or are a graduate with a degree in something which would interest the petrochemical industry, DONā€™T DO IT! I got a job out there ā€˜cause a guy I went to school with was well in, itā€™s definitely a case of jobs for the boys, unless youā€™re luckier than an extremely lucky thing, being extremely lucky. Also the money is good offshore, cause the job sure ainā€™t.

heres what i would do
depending if you are at work or not

other than your dad who do you know who drives 7.5s or bigger

ask them if they would be willing to have you out with them for the day
you could drive map read or just be general dogs body

this may be easier with small general haulage or own account outfit
you may not get any money for this but at least you will gain experience

if your dads firm would let you go out with them go with someone other than your dad
this may lead to some casual work covering holidays

even though iā€™ve been driving 20 years i did this with my mates mob
just going out for the odd day to avoid housework
this led to a double man job to avoid a night out and then proper jobs in my own right

its nothing spectacular but a days pay is better than a weeks dole

i had a result the other day went out with another driver from same firm delivered 2 cars
to Westminster council we then went to Ipswich and collected a Packard super 8 c 1939
that was a beast to drive :smiley:

Just came back from making my rounds at Colnbrook nr Heathrow. Did the rounds of most places that have LHVā€™s and nothing doing. The only place recuiting is Food Partners and that is for 7.5t work and the pay is about Ā£8ph for 5on 2off. Almost everyone is hoping for a pick up at the end of this month as this drought canā€™t continue(thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been hearing all morning). One agency told me that last year they couldnā€™t get enough drivers, they were so busy and now they are kicking their heels.

So hereā€™s to a speedy recovery in the Transport Sectorā€¦ :wink:

rog. regarding your question about aging workforce,and who said itā€¦Truck & Driver may 09 issue,bottom of page 10,headline DRIVER SHORTFALL DESPITE RECESSION. just a small write up but mentions aging work force as well as bringing more women and ethnic minorities into the trade.

Why is finding work so hardā– ā– ? - the BBC gave the reason this morning -
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=45800

hitch:
its nothing spectacular but a days pay is better than a weeks dole

Very true but to declare or not to declareā€¦ :confused:

I am with various agencies and have had 2 shifts in ooooo one and a half months. The first I never declared to the dole as it was very close to my first registration with them. The second I didā€¦and what a pain. They expect you to know how much you earned, how much tax etcā€¦anyone who has declared working a shift will know.

The resultā€¦yes a days work is more than a weeks dole but is it worth going through all the hassle at the end of the day.

If there was more agency work in my area I would sign off but without the guarantee of regular shifts I refuse to do that.

I am not lazy as anyone that knows me will testify toā€¦but I am not a fool either so I am not really willing to: a, do the dirty on the dole and b, be a mule for companies that are refusing to take on folk.

Just an opinion :unamused:

How can you not know what youā€™ve earned if youā€™re working days for an agency stuart? Donā€™t you get a payslip at the end of each week?

The really complex thing is sorting out the council tax benefit if you get paid more than Ā£60.

I had all of this hastle more than 10 years ago,why cant they sort out the system? I found if you got one shift they would close your claim and you had to become a jobseeker all over again.We all know that the days of large scale employment are gone so its perfectly reasonable that a willing worker might pick up an odd days work here and there with little or no chance of it becoming permanent.

alamcculloch:
I had all of this hastle more than 10 years ago,why cant they sort out the system? I found if you got one shift they would close your claim and you had to become a jobseeker all over again.We all know that the days of large scale employment are gone so its perfectly reasonable that a willing worker might pick up an odd days work here and there with little or no chance of it becoming permanent.

And you lose all but Ā£5 if you do under 16 hours and you cannot earn more than 16 X the minimum wageā€¦

If you do one odd day, lets say 10 hours at Ā£8 per hour then that is a total of Ā£80 + Ā£5 from dole =
Ā£85 - less travel expense say Ā£10 for the day = total of Ā£75 = WOW - just made Ā£10 over the dole amount and have to go through loads of hassle as wellā€¦

Drove a coach down to Edinburgh this morning noticed there were hardly any trucks on the road .No trucks =no drivers.

Hereā€™s a thought that Iā€™m not sure will be welcomeā€¦
On my daily deliveries I talk to the other drivers and quite a few of the other drivers are mentioning this more often. Now in the days of PC it could be classed as slander so Iā€™ll aproach it gently. The main phrase used is ā€˜foreign driversā€™. Most drivers are complaining that a lot of the Eastern European drivers have almost taken over and are almost everywhere. One artic driver mentioned that that in nearly all deliveries that he makes all the other drivers that he comes accross are from Eastern Europe and they will work for a lot less than we would. One of the companies that I worked on the Agency books employed all their staff from eastern europe, fair be it they do work hard but ā€¦