Why do the public hate us truckers?

Parked company artic in village where i live.It was Austrian registered.Came back to unit,to find irrate and angry retired milatary officer,who was calling the police because the truck attracted youths to his house,and may break in to his property,the youths ripped off the ivy from his wall too.The retired gentleman said park at nearest truck facility which is 7 miles away.And in Bath,they want a ban,saying city used as short cut.Place needs a new ring road.Getting tired of reading about villagers moaning about speeding trucks.How do they know it is speeding without a radar.Because vehicle is big,impression is that its going faster.We dont see kids playing in the roads,but all the government tv ads indicate the streets are full of kids playing in the roads.Off topic a bit,why do journalists in all newspapers have to tell us how the house is worth of the person they are writting a story about.As in John Smith from such a place owns a £750,000 house,appeared in court today.When the house value has nothing to do with anything.Anyone else had experiences from the public that dont want you there.We know about RDCs.NO drivers allowed to use toilets or their staff canteen.And no drivers allowed through this door.Etc.

Why you ask, it is really very simple. They have not yet understood that without the trucker they would not be able to live. As is well advertised in the USA “Without Trucks the UK will stop”.

As is fairly well known, trucks are not really necessary since all of the food is magicked to the supermarket overnight by the Tesco Fairy.

They would soon change there tune if all the lorrys stopped moving for a week.
miserable ■■■■■ :laughing: :laughing:

We do a regular (once or twice a week) run to a feed mill in Fordingbridge, Hampshire. To get there you HAVE to drive through the narrow town centre (No alternative).

As you drive through at no more than 10 or 15 mph everyone looks at you as though you have an open muck spreader on the back. Cars are parked outside shops in the narrow road but its our fault if we hold up a local on his emergency run to the off licence or flower shop.

Its even worse on the way back with an empty bulker that clangs and bangs over every cobble stone.
I think thats where they all get the idea that all trucks are “THUNDERING” through the villages.

Wonder what theyd say if we took al the freight of the roads and built railways down every high street?

tim williams:
to find irrate and angry retired milatary officer,

Should of just asked him how the military got the logistics moved around the world without trucks :unamused:

There is a certain section of the public who think it’s possible to move all goods by train. They also can’t relate that the lorry delivering or taking goods from the business nearby means that there is local employment.

Obviously being a lorry driver, i might have a biased opinion but it really winds me up when i hear or read people complaining about “juggernauts” thundering through villages,or lorries clogging up city streets !! How the ■■■■ do these people think that feed is delivered,livestock moved or milk collected from farms?. They would soon start moaning if the local had no beer or if the local rag wasnt delivered(which they usually write thier letters of complaint in) or thier rubbish wasnt collected - like Harry Monk says, perhaps they think “its done by magic”

Also, i hope the complainers house never catches fire because, heaven forbid, a red lorry with flashing blue lights and ladders on the top would have to drive up the street :unamused:

I had the owner at the chippy in tideswell moaning about the thundering trucks :unamused: , I asked how his potatoes got delivered, I also made a comment about if his central heating broke down, not to use a plumber cos we supply all the merchants! Gave him food for thought.

I suppose,
some operators dont help.

e.g.
sending a artic every other day to a small warehouse blocking a road for 30 odd mins,

Just to collect 4 pallets etc…

Or the poor 3663 / Brakes drivers who have to block village streets just to drop of 2-3 cages.

Maybe if operartors used more common sense and sent the right sized wagon to a job. ■■?

Just a thought , from joe bloggs perspective.

Macka Packa:
I suppose,

e.g.
sending a artic every other day to a small warehouse blocking a road for 30 odd mins,

Or the poor 3663 / Brakes drivers who have to block village streets just to drop of 2-3 cages.

Maybe if operartors used more common sense and sent the right sized wagon to a job. ■■?

Fair comment but “Joe Bloggs” would class a 7:5 tonner as a juggernaut
If youre on multidrop/collections, how much are you gonna get on a van without returning to the depot every 5 mins ?

Suedehead:

Macka Packa:
I suppose,

e.g.

Fair comment but “Joe Bloggs” would class a 7:5 tonner as a juggernaut
If youre on multidrop/collections, how much are you gonna get on a van without returning to the depot every 5 mins ?

I worked on the B+Q contract in trafford park ,
driving 18 Tonners,
Most times i only was 1/4 loaded ,

I was even driving down housing estates dropping of
bags of screws , and even a foot of a chair,

Surely they could post it ,or send out a guy from warehouse in a transit.
imagine the look i get when i pull into someones street in my 18 tonner,
reach in my pocket and hand them a couple of screws :laughing:

As regards Brakes etc…
I Worked for them with agency ,
And they had me dropping of items such as
1 bag of mushrooms etc…

3663 i drove a 7.5 tonner to Bull Ring Birmingham , from Oldham
with a box of Veggie Burgers qty.30 burgers :unamused:

Some drivers don’t help themselves. They park illegally at night without lights on public highways instead of in lorry parks or operating centres.
Some park where there are no toilets and use the hedge etc. I don’t know why haulage contractors don’t share their haulage yards with other companies. In these differcult times I would have thought parking monies would be useful.

i always laugh when they say , get the freight off road and onto rail , when i was a boy mum would order me things out of catalog it would come via national carriers (OR SHOULD I SAY WOULD NOT COME) if more freight went to rail i can imagine lots of it lost in sidings

i m new to facebook & there is a group set up on there; ‘im ■■■■■■ off with lorries that take 5 miles to overtake other trucks’. :imp: :imp: :imp:

tilly1970:
i m new to facebook & there is a group set up on there; ‘im ■■■■■■ off with lorries that take 5 miles to overtake other trucks’. :imp: :imp: :imp:

Just had a look and there are loads of groups :laughing: :laughing:
Best quote on one of them

I hate lorry drivers i hate lorry drivers!! ask yourselves [zb] who`s gona deliver your next washing machine, cooker, sofa?? a [zb] lorry driver thats who, and if your worried about getting somewhere on time stop [zb] playing with yourselves and get out of ■■■■■■■ bed a bit earlier…

Macka Packa:
I worked on the B+Q contract in trafford park ,
driving 18 Tonners,
Most times i only was 1/4 loaded ,

I was even driving down housing estates dropping of
bags of screws , and even a foot of a chair,

Surely they could post it ,or send out a guy from warehouse in a transit.
imagine the look i get when i pull into someones street in my 18 tonner,
reach in my pocket and hand them a couple of screws :laughing:

I know the feeling. All the way to the other side of Ireland with a kitchen door, which is probably the wrong colour and taken six months to turn up. :unamused:

But then some customers don’t help themselves when the order says “access within 10m / no stairs / any lorry” when they live miles down a track, in a top floor flat, somewhere you couldn’t get a sooty van.

I thought this thread needed another angle.

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … -ikea.html

As the story suggests trucks should avoid this new store when it opens. Would it not make a reasonable story if the wooden punters were faced with empty racks and shelves on opening day :laughing:

How many times are we going to go through this old cherry? There are lots of reasons why the public hate trucks, and they are alnost all down to ignorance. But we spend so much time and energy fighting amongst ourselves and that doesn’t help in the least.

The public hate us. End of story. The comments about using the hedge, and not using truck parking facilities, are funny. If the facilities exist, they are full by 6pm or cost an arm and a leg.

If you can’t take the disdain then stop listening to it.

Why do the public hate us truckers?

The public don’t hate me because I’m a trucker … they hate me for myself

Why do you all think the public hate us, some obviously do but on the whole I find that most people are reasonably friendly and considerate when I’m in the lorry, OK so some people won’t miss an opportunity to cut me up when I’m driving the lorry but I don’t take that personally, blimey I don’t like getting held up by lorries and I drive the bloody things :grimacing:

Chill out people, the public love and appreciate us for the job we do and the polite courteous and considerate way we do it :grimacing: