Why do EU trucks have smaller profile tyres?

Hi guys,

as the tittle says, how come EU trucks are able to run smaller tyred wheels ie 355/50/22.5 rather than 355/70/22.5 like in the UK?

Is this due to the law stating you must run a minimum profile tyre? Only reason I ask is there appears, on the surface to be atleast to bea few benefits to running lower profile tyres;

1 A lower centre of gravity, not only would improve aerodynamics but would also reduce the side wind effects, or alternatively allow you to run a taller trailer.

2.Easier to climb in and out of the cab for obvious reasons.

3.you’ve got to admit they look dam cool :laughing: (ok, so not a real reason).

Only negatives I can think of would be the increased risk of a blow out due to high pressure, or potential damage to wheels from pot holes. That said, the roads ive been on in Europe are no better than ours!

Cheers for any help,

Jon.

:smiley: Maximum loading height within the overall 4 meter height limit :wink:

4 metre bridges in europe so they have to be a wee bit more inventive if they want more loadspace

Quicker to blow up if they get a slow puncture :question: :wink: :laughing:

H&S law - easier on the tyre fitters back :question: :wink: :laughing:

Negatives : Poor ground clearance thus increased damage
Higher tyre wear
Higher fuel consumtion

montana man:
Higher tyre wear
Higher fuel consumtion

how would you have higher fuel consumption? Lower stance will allow it to been cleaner through the air, thus improving fuel consumption.

Which part am i missing? :open_mouth:

Hmm, ground clearence would defo be a negative :astonished: Air suspension you say? :laughing:

Concept36:

montana man:
Higher tyre wear
Higher fuel consumtion

how would you have higher fuel consumption? Lower stance will allow it to been cleaner through the air, thus improving fuel consumption.

Which part am i missing? :open_mouth:

Hmm, ground clearence would defo be a negative :astonished: Air suspension you say? :laughing:

Wheels turning more than larger ones so more mechanical resistance :wink:

The ones on the smallest wheels are usually about 1/4 to 1/2mpg worse than there “regular” counterparts :smiley:

thanks for clearing that up!

ROG:
H&S law - easier on the tyre fitters back :question: :wink: :laughing:

yeah maybe but lower profile is harder to fit…

Concept

The lower profle tyres allow for a lower trailer deck, maximising the load height while keeping below the overall 4m height limit when running on the continent.

You gain about 40 cm by this method as opposed to running on conventional UK tyres.

may be cos they drive em down to the hubs :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Concept 36. You would be better putting your energy into designing a trailer for the UK instead of these stupid double deckers that run at 16 feet plus when companies like Emons can run double deckers and keep them at around 13’‘1’’ well 4.0 metres. Kyrbo spotted a skeletal trailer on a post and pointed out what a stupid design it was.

You have already picked up on the most important thing in “centre of gravity”.

Lower runnining height would save some motorways being blocked for hours on end

there are plenty of UK trucks running on the lower profile tyres, most of them are doing European work though

One of the things that you won’t often see in mainland Europe though is 3 axle units as the maximum weight in the UK is higher than most of Europe

thanks for all your responses thus far…very helpful indeed :sunglasses:

as already stated, i’m guessing its all about cube. maximising load space, coz of the 4m height limit in europe.

Sorry to use this thread to get an answer to my own question Concept, but the picture is a beaut for an example. What is the green L disc on the front of foreign trucks for? :confused: (white volvo, first picture)

Limestone Cowboy:
Sorry to use this thread to get an answer to my own question Concept, but the picture is a beaut for an example. What is the green L disc on the front of foreign trucks for? :confused:

It means it has a “hush kit” fitted i.e. air brake silencers and extra noise insulation. Means cheaper tax in “Swiss” IIRC

cue Herr Hobbs with what it exactly stands for :smiley:

and to probably tell me I am talking [zb] :blush:

Mr Hobbs must be having his tea.

The L means Larmschutz which translates to noise protection.

Simon will point you to a page with all the symbols and letters and what they mean.

Wheel Nut:
Mr Hobbs must be having his tea.

The L means Larmschutz which translates to noise protection.

Simon will point you to a page with all the symbols and letters and what they mean.

I am sure he would not be partaking of said beverage :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers for that Malc nice to know I wasn’t talking complete [zb] as usual :open_mouth: :laughing: