Why do EU trucks have smaller profile tyres?

Limestone Cowboy:
Sorry to use this thread to get an answer to my own question Concept, but the picture is a beaut for an example. What is the green L disc on the front of foreign trucks for? :confused: (white volvo, first picture)

no worries mate, i was actually curious as to waht that ment myself
so thanks!

montana man:

Limestone Cowboy:
Sorry to use this thread to get an answer to my own question Concept, but the picture is a beaut for an example. What is the green L disc on the front of foreign trucks for? :confused:

It means it has a “hush kit” fitted i.e. air brake silencers and extra noise insulation. Means cheaper tax in “Swiss” IIRC

cue Herr Hobbs with what it exactly stands for :smiley:

and to probably tell me I am talking [zb] :blush:

If you insist. It’s an Austrian thing and nothing to do with Swiss. The rest is as Malc said and it gives exemption to Austria’s night time ban apparently.

You also get a ‘S’ which is low emission and a ‘U’ which is low emission/low noise, again Austrian.

Cheers, can I be cheeky again then and ask anyone about what the B.V means usually found on the address of forighn trucks. As you may have guessed I’m rather landlocked between the shores of the UK :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Mr Hobbs must be having his tea.

I was unavailable due to religious reasons. I was watching us destroy the sheep molesting scumbags 4-1 on Sentanta Sports.**

**Other sports channels are available. :wink: :smiley:

Limestone Cowboy:
Cheers, can I be cheeky again then and ask anyone about what the B.V means usually found on the address of forighn trucks.

That would mostly be on Dutch or Belgian trucks and means pretty much the same as Limited. Others you will see are GmbH on German trucks and AG on Scandinavian vehicles.

Thanks everyone. My knowledge bank is now more or less full :smiley:

If you are interested in further useless information regarding signs on trucks, and can squeeze it into the knowledge bank, two more you will see are a black lower case d or a on a green background. The d stands for ‘domenica’, and means a vehicle exempt from the Sunday driving ban while the a indicates ‘alimentari’, a vehicle carrying foodstuffs. Both of these are Italian signs.

Cheers Neil. The B.V was the main one, although I must admit the meaning is a lot duller than I thought it would be :laughing:

It stands for “Besloten Vennootschap” which is, as Coffee says, limited company in Dutch.

I knew BV meant limited and in France SA. SpA in Italy I think. SRo in Czech etc.

and Inselaffe can now tell me what the Belgium equivalent of NV stands for :stuck_out_tongue:

Another one you may see on trucks is a Black Rectangle with a white A normally in Holland and Germany, this means Abfall (Waste) in France it would be D for Dechets (Waste)

We have a trailer with small euro wheels. Its ok but its one flaw is when your in a tight spot and errr being a bit rough! Doing a on the limit turn ie screwing the trailer round hard and tyres fighting in all directions. When in this prediciment the tyres can come of the rims alot easier than super singles.

Er, "Naamloze Vennootschap ", which is also Dutch and is a public limited company, as opposed to “Besloten Vennootschap”, which is a private limited company. Need to lie down now
 :slight_smile:

Wheel Nut:
I knew BV meant limited and in France SA. SpA in Italy I think. SRo in Czech etc.

)

And in France the SA (Societé Anonyme) does not always come after the name, as in S.A. Gauthier, my last employer, whose Dad’s name was Henri, not Serge André. :unamused: :laughing:

Foreign trucks are low to stop illegal immigrants crawling under them and hanging on till they reach Britain! :smiling_imp:

Wheels turning more than larger ones so more mechanical resistance

The ones on the smallest wheels are usually about 1/4 to 1/2mpg worse than there “regular” counterparts

nearly right!
Smaller wheels have a smaller circumference and so each revolution of the wheel covers a lesser distance than a large one.
But what puzzles me is, if the smaller wheels cover less ground then the engines must run at higher revs to achieve the same speed
 unless the gear ratios are different.
This also applies to worn tyres, as the tyre wears down it doesn’t cover as much ground as a new (larger) one.
So when your boss is moaning that MPG is dropping, get a set of new tyres on the drive axle :smiley:

Different gearing usually Del ? so my answer holds :smiley:

they really do have different gearing■■?

del949:
they really do have different gearing■■?

When you order your truck you will specify the final drive anyway so you specify the tyre type size and make too. Its not so complicated because manufacturers normally have a design boffin who will work with the dealers.

You might hear stories about special trucks :stuck_out_tongue: " Oh my boss fitted a coach diff in this." “it flies.” Probably does but it wont pull a hen off it’s nest.

One particular worry with the small tyres was always the speed you could travel when heavy. Especially in hot countries. I have seen many trucks fly past me in Spain or Greece to be seen sat on the hard shoulder 5 miles up the road with 3 or 4 blowouts. Tyre technology has improved a lot since then though.

Concept36:
Hi guys,

as the tittle says, how come EU trucks are able to run smaller tyred wheels ie 355/50/22.5 rather than 355/70/22.5 like in the UK?

Is this due to the law stating you must run a minimum profile tyre? Only reason I ask is there appears, on the surface to be atleast to bea few benefits to running lower profile tyres;

1 A lower centre of gravity, not only would improve aerodynamics but would also reduce the side wind effects, or alternatively allow you to run a taller trailer.

2.Easier to climb in and out of the cab for obvious reasons.

3.you’ve got to admit they look dam cool :laughing: (ok, so not a real reason).

Only negatives I can think of would be the increased risk of a blow out due to high pressure, or potential damage to wheels from pot holes. That said, the roads ive been on in Europe are no better than ours!

Cheers for any help,

Jon.

Hi Profesional :laughing:
“Axleweight” is the Magic Word

Does the lower profile tyre also affect what the speedo reads, ie. speed and miles covered? Or will it all be calibrated by manufacturer?