Why can't I Delete posts?

Ok I went to edit a post and accidentally pressed the quote button and ended up making another reply, I then tried to delete it but I can’t because the option has been removed, why?

I for one often make posts after work at about 4am and often re-read the post after I’ve made it and think, hmm maybe not and delete it. I believe people with a drink problem may also suffer as a result of this feature omission (or the people who read such posts), please reinstate it… :slight_smile:

I thought only mods and site admin could delete any post once the submit had been clicked :confused: :confused:

were you trying to delete it after you posted it or after you previewed it :question:

After I posted it, usually as long as nobody has replied after you posted it you can delete your post, however this forum doesn’t give you the option.

Kiowan:
usually as long as nobody has replied after you posted it you can delete your post, however this forum doesn’t give you the option.

I’ve always wondered about this too, as you say most forums let you delete posts as long as there have been no replies.

Kiowan:
After I posted it, usually as long as nobody has replied after you posted it you can delete your post, however this forum doesn’t give you the option.

did the old version let you delete your posts ?

Yes i’m sure it did as I remember posting several times and and changing my mind afterwards and deleting it, also sometimes you read the first page of a thread and reply only to realise there was about 2 more pages after you posted making your post seem totally irrelevant, another good instance where deleting it is best. There’s also internet lag when you hit post several times and end up with multiple posts.

Kiowan:
Yes i’m sure it did as I remember posting several times and and changing my mind afterwards and deleting it, also sometimes you read the first page of a thread and reply only to realise there was about 2 more pages after you posted making your post seem totally irrelevant, another good instance where deleting it is best. There’s also internet lag when you hit post several times and end up with multiple posts.

I’m not sure as I often had to delete other peoples posts where they were multiple posted :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sometimes a deleted post in the middle of a thread can make the thread difficult to understand :wink:

I think we need Rikki to give us a definite answer :grimacing:

No you couldn’t normally delete posts on the old forum, I’m sure that on a couple of occasions the delete button was there but it could have been a bug or me seeing things whilst under the influence :wink:

Still curious as to why we can’t delete posts at TrucknetUK though, it’s not a problem I’m just curious :smiley:

tachograph:
Still curious as to why we can’t delete posts at TrucknetUK though, it’s not a problem I’m just curious :smiley:

I don’t know the reason, afaik it’s always been like that !!

have looked on another couple of truck forums :wink: and they won’t let you delete posts either :confused: :confused: :confused:

Denis F:
have looked on another couple of truck forums :wink: and they won’t let you delete posts either :confused: :confused: :confused:

If I have the last post on a thread in a truckersworld forum then I have the option to delete it and I think they are using a similar board to this one - not sure though :question: :question:

ROG:

Denis F:

If I have the last post on a thread in a truckersworld forum then I have the option to delete it and I think they are using a similar board to this one - not sure though :question: :question:

that’s one of the ones I was talking about :wink: looks like a slightly older version to me.

did notice no html :wink:

It wasn’t possible to delete a post on the old board and it isn’t, and won’t be, possible on this board.

Members get the hump now and again, often with the assistance of an alcoholic beverage or two, and this may make them decide to delete some or all of their posts. This can result in a whole thread becoming incomprehensible, especially if it is the opening post which is deleted. It is possible they may decide to edit their post and remove the text but at least then other members can still see there was a topic there originally and it serves little purpose other than make the member who has spat the dummy look a bit of a ■■■■. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

We often get requests asking for user names or all posts made by a user to be deleted and those request are invariably followed by an apology, a retraction or a request to ignore their previous PM the next morning when the member is no longer posting with the assistance of Jack Daniels or Johnnie Walker (Other alcoholic beverages are available). Deletion is a non undo-able option and may lead to regrets. :wink: