Why "70" and not national speed limit?

On the A55 in north Wales, why does the speed limit signs on the dual carriage way say “70” instead of the normal national speed limit sign of a white circle with a black diagonal line?
What’s the difference? I’ve never seen a “70” sign before.

FarnboroughBoy11:
On the A55 in north Wales, why does the speed limit signs on the dual carriage way say “70” instead of the normal national speed limit sign of a white circle with a black diagonal line?

Perhaps they get lots of foreigners on that road so stating the limit helps

Not having driven the road I couldn’t say but I would assume it is to “remind” holiday traffic to keep the speed up.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Maybe because it over-rides the speed limit for larger vehicles? an NSL sign doesn’t always mean 60.

Mentioned here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_road

dew:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Maybe because it over-rides the speed limit for larger vehicles? an NSL sign doesn’t always mean 60.

limit for large vehicles remains the same unless the sign gives a lower limit than what is usually the case

Did I eyeball you around 6am at Beaconsfield today?
i was NB to Palletforce, sure it was you.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Its the same in Scotland on most of the roads

FarnboroughBoy11:

All answered here:

roadsuk.com/network/special/

You’ve never seen a “70” sign before? I take it you’ve never been to Scotland then? :wink:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Snarley:
Did I eyeball you around 6am at Beaconsfield today?
i was NB to Palletforce, sure it was you.

I don’t think so mate, it was possibly one of our night trunkers coming back down. However I was getting on the M40 from the M25 on the way to Park Royal about 7am though??
What does your truck look like?

RoadsRat:

FarnboroughBoy11:

All answered here:

You’ve never seen a “70” sign before? I take it you’ve never been to Scotland then? :wink:

Ah that explains it, cheers.

And yes I have been to Scotland many times, we have regular on going work to and from Falkirk as well at the moment. Now that you mention it, they are on the M74 as well if I remember.
It was my first time along the A55 though which prompted this thread. I like north Wales :slight_smile:

RoadsRat:

FarnboroughBoy11:

All answered here:

And yes I have been to Scotland many times, we have regular on going work to and from Falkirk as well at the moment. Now that you mention it, they are on the M74 as well if I remember.
It was my first time along the A55 though which prompted this thread. I like north Wales :slight_smile:

Hiya …their’s a stretch of road near colwyn bay which is 50 mph for about 2 miles then back to 70mph.
is this the piece of road your talking about, there dos’nt seem to be any reason for the reduced speed
although their are two junctions which may have standing traffic to which i’ve never seen.
this stretch of road is a place where many cars get caught for speeding as driver’s don’t take any notice
of the 50 mph sign. some drivers drive down the slip road and speed up to 70mph thinking they’re on
a unrestricted road but are infact still in the 50mph zone.
John

3300John:
Hiya …their’s a stretch of road near colwyn bay which is 50 mph for about 2 miles then back to 70mph.
is this the piece of road your talking about, there dos’nt seem to be any reason for the reduced speed
although their are two junctions which may have standing traffic to which i’ve never seen.
this stretch of road is a place where many cars get caught for speeding as driver’s don’t take any notice
of the 50 mph sign. some drivers drive down the slip road and speed up to 70mph thinking they’re on
John

Yes I know exactly where you mean, I thought at the time it was a bit strange to have a sudden drop in speed and then back up again for no reason that i could see but hey ho.

FarnboroughBoy11:

RoadsRat:

FarnboroughBoy11:

All answered here:

No worries mate! :slight_smile:

You’ll find “70” signs on the M8 as well. :wink:

anisboy:
Not having driven the road I couldn’t say but I would assume it is to “remind” holiday traffic to keep the speed up.

Nope it is telling everybody that is the maximum speed limit…

FarnboroughBoy11:

3300John:
John

Yes I know exactly where you mean, I thought at the time it was a bit strange to have a sudden drop in speed and then back up again for no reason that i could see but hey ho.

:smiling_imp:

No surprise in the Commie Anti car and probably truck Taliban Republic of North Wales.It’s the only place worse to drive anything than London.At least if you want to keep your licence. :imp: :laughing:

abd.org.uk/local/north_wales.htm

was def a ddeck trunker, sorry, incorrect eyeball lol.

Carryfast:

FarnboroughBoy11:

3300John:
John

:smiling_imp:

No surprise in the Commie Anti car and probably truck Taliban Republic of North Wales.It’s the only place worse to drive anything than London.At least if you want to keep your licence. :imp: :laughing:

abd.org.uk/local/north_wales.htm

Not in the valleys mate, it’s awesome.