Wht 2007/2008 truck do I buy

Hi guys,

I’m new to this whole thread so please be kind. We have come into this business as a result of our regular hauliers messing us about for far too long. We originally run an export company, and regularly subcontract hauliers to carry out container haulage to/from sea ports.

We applied for an O’License about October which has just come through :laughing: . Now, we have been looking at trucks for hours and are totally stumped as to what to buy as our first Artic unit. I’ve driven a DAF for someone and have seemed to have no issues with it in the time I drove it, however I’m guessing from an operators point of view, the story might be different.

Our budget is £8,000 - £10,000 for a 2007/2008.

All help appreciated!

I, d say your probably looking at a MAN or maybe a Renault Premium at that money, i would avoid Ivecos of that age as i dont know anybody who has a good word to say about them

Go for the Renault and stay well clear of the man

alix776:

i.m on to my 3rd Man , i dont have a problem with them, but then again i buy trucks to do a days work not to pose in

Last co I worked for bought dome but they were never right from day 1

alix776:
Last co I worked for bought dome but they were never right from day 1

I once had a Vectra that kept breaking down but i wouldnt tell anyone not to buy a Vauxhall

They bought 8 all were the same the older actros were better o. Fuel and maintenance

Absolutely nothing wrong with the MAN, do not take any notice of the TRUCK snobs. MAN are an excellent truck and for the money that you want to spend you should be able to pick up a truck that will see you alright. Just spend a bit of time looking for a clean vehicle…At the money that you want to spend forget the Volvos & Scania`s and Mercs, as they will be very high mileage…

chaversdad:

alix776:

i.m on to my 3rd Man , i dont have a problem with them, but then again i buy trucks to do a days work not to pose in

I love it Chaversdad just about says it all about whats wrong with the industry !!! , or if I cant find fault with this motor give me a few days and dream up a few , just because you don’t like the badge across the front !!!.

Nothing to do with the badge the man is known for electrical issues. If they were better or on par with the mercs they would have kept them or bought more. The op could actually buy a much newer Renault than an MAN for the money there looking at

My choice would be an Axor 430, manual box only, as tough honest and simple no frills working lorry as you’ll find, bags of low down torque from the excellent engine, doesn’t have the electrical and engine (oil pump) issues that the equivalent MAN would have and the interior won’t disintegrate if you look at it.

Second choice, a manual (again) DAF CF 460.

leave it alone, stick to what you do best and let your subcontractor take the risk esp at the price you looking to pay 8~10kfor units, what miles you thinking of covering each week… drivers wages insurances etc…
then you need trailer or trailers aswell… I wouldn’t bother mate tbh unless you going to make a "whopping saving running your own truck~trucks ■■

Juddian:
doesn’t have the engine (oil pump) issues that the equivalent MAN would have

pre 2008 :wink:

Go for contract hire all in and save your cash,you can claim it all back on your tax and get the V.A.T. back and no mantainence problems.There are som great deals about at moment,not worth buying a truck in your position. :wink: :slight_smile:

Juddian:
My choice would be an Axor 430, manual box only, as tough honest and simple no frills working lorry as you’ll find, bags of low down torque from the excellent engine, doesn’t have the electrical and engine (oil pump) issues that the equivalent MAN would have and the interior won’t disintegrate if you look at it.

Second choice, a manual (again) DAF CF 460.

Well said that man , Juddian your a man after my own heart .

First question is where are you going to get it serviced and repaired?

If you have a relationship with a garage then I would look at the brand that they deal with mostly as they will have experience in deal with issues particular to that specific lorry and that can save a lot of issues on the road as they will know which parts/systems will need close monitoring.

If you don’t have that relationship then find a garage and build that relationship, it is very important.

I would go for an Axor as it is over engineered in the way only a Merc can be. They’re simple no frills workhorses.

Or I would buy a big engined (bigger than you need) high miler that’s come off a double shifted high profile fleet. The reasoning behind that is high mileage lorries have not been unreliable or they wouldn’t be high mileage.

chaversdad:

alix776:

Since when has a Renault Premium been a pose machine ?

newmercman:
First question is where are you going to get it serviced and repaired?

If you have a relationship with a garage then I would look at the brand that they deal with mostly as they will have experience in deal with issues particular to that specific lorry and that can save a lot of issues on the road as they will know which parts/systems will need close monitoring.

If you don’t have that relationship then find a garage and build that relationship, it is very important.

I would go for an Axor as it is over engineered in the way only a Merc can be. They’re simple no frills workhorses.

Or I would buy a big engined (bigger than you need) high miler that’s come off a double shifted high profile fleet. The reasoning behind that is high mileage lorries have not been unreliable or they wouldn’t be high mileage.

^^^
Total agreement, especially if they have been on “lighter” high mileage work.

The Volvo FH12/13s are around in numbers, with high mileage for sure, but if its been on a Volvo R+M, its been pretty well looked after…although some dealers are better than others…

These are an ideal starter truck [IMO], to get you up and running, and a very nice drive as well :bulb:

Neology:
Hi guys,

I’m new to this whole thread so please be kind. We have come into this business as a result of our regular hauliers messing us about for far too long. We originally run an export company, and regularly subcontract hauliers to carry out container haulage to/from sea ports.

We applied for an O’License about October which has just come through :laughing: . Now, we have been looking at trucks for hours and are totally stumped as to what to buy as our first Artic unit. I’ve driven a DAF for someone and have seemed to have no issues with it in the time I drove it, however I’m guessing from an operators point of view, the story might be different.

All help appreciated!

I drive a 2012 MAN TGX480 but for what you descibe above:
Renault Premium 450DXi all day long :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Neology:
Hi guys,

All help appreciated!

Quite a few on ebay, this looks tidy

ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-PREMI … m35e33130f