Whose fault

My thinking is let’s say you swerved and killed the people in lane 3 , you would more than Likly get done for dangerous driving and manslaughter , the truck in lane one would probably get done for dangerous driving …

I probably would have swerved myself .

Many years ago I was aprouching a junction (in my car)
Left lane go’s straight over and left right lane over and right , I’m in the right lane going over , there was a car in the left lane slowing up to turn left , just as I go to pass him he makes an arrtic swing into my lane to get his crappy little volvo around the huge left turn , I swerve right to miss him and end up hitting the traffic island and snapping the wishbone on my car resulting in a call for a tow truck, he was oblivious to the whole events …

I sat there at that junction every night for a week at the same time waiting for that red volvo 340 …

dafpower:
Oh also forgot to add if I’d of slammed on I’d of been arse ended and what was in the back would of met me in the cab for a spot of breakfast know what I mean

If someone ran into the back of you it would have been their fault
was your load not secured :question:

Swerving in a truck is a bad idea and should be an absolute last resort. If you’d just stood on the brake you may have still been hit by the artic in lane one. His fault. Or you’d have been rear ended. Their fault.

Instead you’ve laid the blame at your own door. Did you get any details from the artic in lane 1. A company name at least ?

The car in lane 3 will claim from you in lane 2, It was your fault you drove into them.
You in lane 2 will claim off the lorry in lane 1, It was his fault he hit you.
If someone had hit the lorry in lane 1 from the slip road, Then the lorry in lane 1 will claim off the vehicle from the slip road.

Thanks limeyphil that’s what I was trying to understand

Sorry terry there were no details available not lettering what so ever not even a hire company

green456 of course it was secure

buy a dash cam and let em hit you. Problem solved :laughing:

limeyphil:
The car in lane 3 will claim from you in lane 2, It was your fault you drove into them.
If someone had hit the lorry in lane 1 from the slip road, Then the lorry in lane 1 will claim off the vehicle from the slip road.

there lies the problem Phil, it does not say that the lorry in lane 1 hit the lorry in lane 2, just made him swerve

so, from that, the lorry on lane 1 got away with it

shuttlespanker:

limeyphil:

there lies the problem Phil, it does not say that the lorry in lane 1 hit the lorry in lane 2, just made him swerve

so, from that, the lorry on lane 1 got away with it

Any decent driver would have contacted the driver in lane one on his CB and said “Goodness gracious old chap, one obviously has a great amount on his mind, Would one be so kind as to pull over at ones next available place of rest and graciously furnesh one with ones employers insurance particulars? Marvelous, I’ll pay for tiffin”.

Danny b I’ve got one in the car needless to say no that I spend more time in the truck tHan I do in the car it will be joining me in e truck just as soon as I get a double adaptor for ciggie plug -that’s tomorrow’s job

I reckon lorries ought to have the same writing that coaches have to have

Operators name address contact number etc

I had something similar happen to me over a year ago, but I was the victim in my car.

Travelling up the Mancunian Way overtaking a taxi as we’re passing the slip road for Princess Parkway, and a 4x4 that was heading down to Princess Parkway decided he wanted to stay on the Mancunian Way instead, straight across the chevrons (solid white lines) and nearly hitting the taxi I was passing, the taxi sees this, swerves to avoid 4x4 and hits me.

Over a year later and I’ve still not been fully paid out due to the dispute between the parties - both of them have lost their no claims though whilst it’s being sorted.

What I didn’t understand is why he avoided someone obviously in the wrong and hit someone obviously innocent, laying the blame at his door.

If I didn’t say that I’d seen the 4x4 and what happened, I’d have been paid out by now from the taxi’s insurance, but because I did see it and gave that as my side of the story, it’s dragging out forever.

Next time, I’m going to be 1 of those idiots who doesn’t see past the end of their bonnet and it’ll just be a case of “I know nothing, you just drove into me” :smiling_imp:

A couple of weeks ago I was at Manchester on the M60 clockwise J16-J17, after passing the on slips for the M61/A580 there’s a tendency for some trucks to pick up speed downhill towards J17 before the crawl up to J18, at the bottom of the dip Im in lane 1, when an arctic flies past me obviously fully loaded in lane 2, by which time weve started the slow crawl up towards J17 hes slowed down enough to end up crawling along side me, with him only a cab length ahead. Im fast approaching another truck in lane 1, and I have other traffic around me. when past the 1/2 mile mark & approaching the 300m mark the truck in lane 2 decides he wants to exit at J17 while Im along side him in lane 1, with traffic all around me I decide my best option I to stay put and hang onto the horn leaving him unable to exit at J17, the best course of action for him was to continue to J18 and double back. But no he wasnt having it, and decides to force me onto the hard shoulder so he can exit at J17. He even gave me the coffee bean shake as he passed :unamused: luckily traffic around me/us reacted well enough (scattered) to allow me to drop back and re-join along the hard shoulder

dafpower:
Ok so your travelling down a motorway passing a junction entry slip road an artic in lane one your in lane two. The artic in lane one swerves in front of you causing you to swerve into lane 3 (of a 3 laner) but in doing so you clip a vehicles mirror resulting in no damage but a scuffed wing mirror cover who’s at fault. Also you were well commited to he over take your half way up his trailer

Ps no smart comments please

I figure the artic is totally at fault for causing the accident but would like some advice on how best to proceed obviously the vehicle of lane 2 &3 have exchanged details

I agree that the truck in lane 1 was to blame for wandering into your lane forcing you to take action, his cause of action should have been to brake or stand his ground and risk taking out what ever caused him to swerve, you should have either braked or stood your ground and let the truck hit you, without wandering into lane 3 risking taking out other innocent driver, seems you both panicked and made the wrong decision!
I have just heard of an incident that happened not long ago, were a car in lane 3 “cut up” a truck in lane 2, the truck driver in lane 2 panicked and made the wrong decision and steered left to avoid the car clipping his cab on the trailer of the truck in lane 1, his course of action would have been to brake and stand his ground even if it meant hitting the car, which as normal carried on up the motorway oblivious to what had just happened with the 2 trucks.
Incidentally the whole incident was captured on a dash camera in the truck in lane 2, the car driver has had a visit by the police, but the video shows that the driver would not have hit the car if he had stood his ground, he probably just panicked instead of remaining calm and in control of the situation!

peirre:
A couple of weeks ago I was at Manchester on the M60 clockwise J16-J17, after passing the on slips for the M61/A580 there’s a tendency for some trucks to pick up speed downhill towards J17 before the crawl up to J18, at the bottom of the dip Im in lane 1, when an arctic flies past me obviously fully loaded in lane 2, by which time weve started the slow crawl up towards J17 hes slowed down enough to end up crawling along side me, with him only a cab length ahead. Im fast approaching another truck in lane 1, and I have other traffic around me. when past the 1/2 mile mark & approaching the 300m mark the truck in lane 2 decides he wants to exit at J17 while Im along side him in lane 1, with traffic all around me I decide my best option I to stay put and hang onto the horn leaving him unable to exit at J17, the best course of action for him was to continue to J18 and double back. But no he wasnt having it, and decides to force me onto the hard shoulder so he can exit at J17. He even gave me the coffee bean shake as he passed :unamused: luckily traffic around me/us reacted well enough (scattered) to allow me to drop back and re-join along the hard shoulder

Why did you move onto the hard shoulder? And was you empty?

Yeah I wase empty as I’d done my last drop at haydock. So I was able to maintain a constant speed both up and down hill. Getting side swiped by a tipper body wasn’t my idea of fun so I played safe & headed to the hard shoulder as it was the only place I could head after being forced over

dafpower:
Danny b I’ve got one in the car needless to say no that I spend more time in the truck tHan I do in the car it will be joining me in e truck just as soon as I get a double adaptor for ciggie plug -that’s tomorrow’s job

I run one in my car gives me 12% off the insurance. It’s amazing how many idiots are on the road, I have footage of a skip (loose fitting net)from yesterday throwing crap out the back at me on the M8.

peirre:
Yeah I wase empty as I’d done my last drop at haydock. So I was able to maintain a constant speed both up and down hill. Getting side swiped by a tipper body was my idea of fun so I played safe & headed to the hard shoulder

So it’s gone from being forced onto the hard shoulder to you taking to it as a safe option!
The sensible option, with you knowing he was fully loaded and you empty and he had already passed your cab with his would have been to knock ya cruise control off and let him back in to lane 1, he did what he did well before the junction to keep it going for the long climb upto the lights on the roundabout at the top of the slip road, but he had some numpty wanting to match his speed holding him in lane 2.
It’s called driver etiquette, empty lets loaded go regardless! I’m not surprised he got ■■■■■■ off with you!

Danny_b:
buy a dash cam and let em hit you. Problem solved :laughing:

Saved me typing it. I would not have swerved out into lane 3 without checking it was clear first, a sharpish press on the brake pedal (load permitting) and if he hit me, it was HIS fault

Technically, you will struggle to get the insurers to believe it was not the Lane2 - Lane 3 driver’s fault.

I reckon you SHOULD have known what was in lane three and used the mirror merely to confirm what you already knew. Far too many people only use their mirrors immediately prior to carrying out a manoeuvre. Being situationally aware at all times is basic stuff really.

To be fair to the op, he could have been more alert than an alert thing but the Micra would still have been there blocking one of his options off.

the maoster:
I reckon you SHOULD have known what was in lane three and used the mirror merely to confirm what you already knew. Far too many people only use their mirrors immediately prior to carrying out a manoeuvre. Being situationally aware at all times is basic stuff really.

To be fair to the op, he could have been more alert than an alert thing but the Micra would still have been there blocking one of his options off.

Agreed

imakenews.com/kengarffintern … ?x=b11,0,w

Always “Leave yourself an out”