Whose fault

Ok so your travelling down a motorway passing a junction entry slip road an artic in lane one your in lane two. The artic in lane one swerves in front of you causing you to swerve into lane 3 (of a 3 laner) but in doing so you clip a vehicles mirror resulting in no damage but a scuffed wing mirror cover who’s at fault. Also you were well commited to he over take your half way up his trailer

Ps no smart comments please

I figure the artic is totally at fault for causing the accident but would like some advice on how best to proceed obviously the vehicle of lane 2 &3 have exchanged details

Totally agree with you

Would have thought the artic in lane 1 for coming over into your lane making you move into lane 3, as the artic in lane1 forced you out a lane3 you dont know what was joining the motorway might have been forced wide by someone.
Usually get a nob in a car try it then pull straight over into lane 3 gets my goat that does not a clue of whats down the outside of me.

Jeff

Personally I’d have stamped on the brakes rather than just turn into lane 3 :unamused:

Personally I would have hung back from passing any lgv in lane 1 whilst they are passing a slip road but maybe I’m just cautious,
J15 on the M6 is a bad spot for this !

Trev_H:
Personally I would have hung back from passing any lgv in lane 1 whilst they are passing a slip road but maybe I’m just cautious,

I’m inclined to agree with this. You can debate endlessly whose fault an incident was afterwards, but it’s a lot easier just to do what you can to avoid it in the first place. It’s not always easy to plan your overtaking moves so you can avoid being next to a truck at a slip road, though.
In the incident described in the OP, it’s up to the guy in lane one to use his mirrors to see if it’s safe to pull into lane 2; if it’s not, he’ll have to stay in lane one and either slow for the guy on the slip road or make him slow down and enter the motorway behind. What he certainly shouldn’t have done is just gone steaming out into lane two with no warning.

Rhythm Thief:

Trev_H:

I’m inclined to agree with this. You can debate endlessly whose fault an incident was afterwards, but it’s a lot easier just to do what you can to avoid it in the first place. It’s not always easy to plan your overtaking moves so you can avoid being next to a truck at a slip road, though.
In the incident described in the OP, it’s up to the guy in lane one to use his mirrors to see if it’s safe to pull into lane 2; if it’s not, he’ll have to stay in lane one and either slow for the guy on the slip road or make him slow down and enter the motorway behind. What he certainly shouldn’t have done is just gone steaming out into lane two with no warning.

+1
Junctions are where most of the ‘Games’ are played, so we, as ‘Professional Drivers’ need to be extra cautious.

Ask yourself, who hit the other vehicle, its normally the same scenario, when someone drives into the rear of another vehicle…but i know where your coming from, its all split second decisions, and personally, i would have braked, and held hand on horn forever, then that puts the blame squarely on him. But all too often those entry slip roads are a pain, because every driver, especially truckers, assume its their right of way, and also assume everyone will or can pull over, and when you force them onto the dirt, get the hump, their problem i know, but they then begin the bully boy tactics, the coffee bean hand shake ( which makes me laugh at them )

Rhythm Thief:

Trev_H:

I agree but surly the driver in lane 2 is as bad for pulling I.to lane 3 without looking too. Even if it is to avoid the Artic in lane 1.

I’m also assuming the Artic didn’t hit anything so was he actually ‘involved’ in the collision?

this could go on for ages … it happened no one hurt gain from experience don’t do it again run the ■■■■■■ off the road next time. :wink: :wink: :wink:

nick2008:
this could go on for ages…

…and it will.

Take the Eastern view to this: It’s your fault; if you hadn’t been where you were the accident would not have happened.

Even if I’d have stamped on he brakes I’d of ended up in the artics trailer instead and I did look in the mirror I just hoped there was more room than there actually was

Oh also forgot to add if I’d of slammed on I’d of been arse ended and what was in the back would of met me in the cab for a spot of breakfast know what I mean

dafpower:
Ok so your travelling down a motorway passing a junction entry slip road an artic in lane one your in lane two. The artic in lane one swerves in front of you causing you to swerve into lane 3 (of a 3 laner) but in doing so you clip a vehicles mirror resulting in no damage but a scuffed wing mirror cover who’s at fault. Also you were well commited to he over take your half way up his trailer

Ps no smart comments please

I figure the artic is totally at fault for causing the accident but would like some advice on how best to proceed obviously the vehicle of lane 2 &3 have exchanged details

if you want the answer as to who is at fault, then, that would be the driver in lane 1, or possibly another vehicle on the slip road

if you want the answer to who has to cough up for the damage, unfortunately, that is the driver in lane 2

from what i have read, the driver in lane 1 did not actually hit anything, just made the driver in lane 2 swerve and hit a vehicle in lane 3, therefore, the driver in lane 2 did the damage, and the idiot in lane 1 gets away with driving like a moron

Trev_H:

Correct :wink:

Rhythm Thief:

Trev_H:

The truck in lane two is just as bad because he tried to kill the poor family in lane three in a micra :angry:

If I was to go outside and get on my high horse I’d say the vehicle in lane 2 for overtaking near a slip road.

As a professional driver and a human who makes mistakes, I’d say the vehicle in lane 1 caused the accident but as has been said the vehicle which caused the damage will have to pay.

I assume a good dose of educational horn was employed and the artic driver was reported for what I see as driving without due care

No tom I didn’t have chance to press the horn and there was no writing on cab or trailer another anonymous hire unit

No it wasn’t a micra in lane 3 it was a van actually

And I had begun my overtake with enough time to complete it had he taken a second or two to use his forking mirrors

I blame you and the other lorry driver, neither of you should be there, juggernauts clogging up our roads.

Seriously though, it’s hard to think that quickly in a crisis but from a blame game point of view you’d have been better off not swerving and letting him sideswipe you.