Who's got the oldest truck?

I’ll start with a 1996 Volvo FH 12, 6 wheeler.

Any advance?

I’ve no chance of winning this. Our fleet get replaced every 4yrs. :laughing:

last firm had 54 plate toplines but they also had 2 only erfs taking at least a G reg one was used to shunt trailers around by the fitters the other was a wrecker that had been used to drag units from roachdale to carllise and it looked like it was buffed everyday

Our place got F reg (erf I think) recovery truck just got rid of M and P reg daf 85 no seatbelts (exempt) and no radio lol

cliffton 27:
was a wrecker that had been used to drag units from roachdale to carllise and it looked like it was buffed everyday

I don’t believe you. Pictures please :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

We’ve still got an S and T reg on the road, I had a W until six months ago when I got a ‘new’ 06 plate

I had to drive a tatty old 59 plate last night with 3 pedals FFS, No chance for me neither all new every 5 years. :cry: :cry:

I drive a Y reg :smiley:

Had to take the 07 plate Scania P230 for a service last week. The garage they go shares yard space with an animal feed company that has it’s own fleet of rigids which are getting on a bit, I see thier “R” reg motors around here a fair bit. Pulled into the yard and parked in the corner next to a very rough looking “N” reg Scania belonging to said feed producer. It had faded paint and moss growing on the sun visor and cab roof and looked like it had sat in the same spot for a long time. Just as I was wondering why they kept such and old hulk sitting there rotting and taking up yard space a driver jumped in it, moved it across the yard, and opened up the curtains.

While waiting for my lift back to the yard to get my car and go home I watched the forkie put 10 pallets of feed on and saw it chug out of the place to do a delivery. I thought it was kind of cool that such an old banger was still working. As long as all of the oily bits are legal and safe long may it keep on running :slight_smile:

We’ve recently inherited a “V” plate FM7 at our mill; designated vehicle for one particular driver who is reputed to have passed his test on one of these…

… and hasn’t improved since! :wink:

The animal feeds business seems to harbour some real old bangers, probably because the bulk blowing bodies are rather expensive. We get some of Mansel Davies’ fleet running out of our place, including a well-kept L-plate FL7 and a few others of similar vintage; R.A Owens of Llandinam run in regularly with a P-reg Scania. Also have Walters Transport of Ponlliw doing the majority of our raw materials, mostly ERF’s though they’ve recently taken a radical step towards modernisation with the arrival of an 05-plate CF95; their fleet contrasts with A.E. Gough’s immaculate collection of Scanias, and the Countrywide show fleet who collect from ours. Very rare for one of Walters to break down though.

theres a couple of P reg Merc Atego 18 tonners where I work, that get used all the time… And they’re a much nicer drive than the 55 plate DAFs!

Mine’s a 54 and had it since new. I might be swapping it for a Cat 972, either a G model or a H. Depends where I get sent.
My old S reg Foden’s still going apparently.

Dunno who’s it is but i keep seeing a G reg eight legger grab wagon normally loaded with timber. Its a Foden with a all over plain black cab.
It looks beaten to death but I offten see it in the Exeter area / M5 and A38 etc.
Anyone seen it or know who’s it is?

Gembo:
Dunno who’s it is but i keep seeing a G reg eight legger grab wagon normally loaded with timber. Its a Foden with a all over plain black cab.
It looks beaten to death but I offten see it in the Exeter area / M5 and A38 etc.

Often see that around in Cornwall and its an E reg not G :laughing: They also have a black fm12 globey 8 legger as well, don’t know where the’re from though.

tootman318:

Gembo:

Often see that around in Cornwall and its an E reg not G :laughing: They also have a black fm12 globey 8 legger as well, don’t know where the’re from though.

Yeah, you’d have seen the same one for sure! Ive also spotted it our side of the Tamar bridge couple a’ times.

Sounds like some of Abbeycheer?s old motors, from Wesy Sussex used to deliver to a woodyard in Essex that I worked in.

I use an 1987 (D) Mercedes 1114 horse lorry regularly, and I also have an 1988 (F) ERF E6 horse lorry due to have it’s cylinder head replaced shortly and go back into work.
Cheers
Paul

sonflowerinwales:
I use an 1987 (D) Mercedes 1114

Christ , i used to work on them!

Ive recently been demoted to a T reg FM7, our lot wanted to try out a moffett so they put it on the oldest heap of dung in the fleet, and as im the only one with a moffett licence at the minute … :frowning:

You will find that these companies using older gear are generally paid for and the balance sheet looks to be in profit.
It’s a company which has new trucks on HP who tend to fall into differculties with cash flow when the work gets quiet.
Also the company that uses older trucks will employ their own fitters and have spare trucks to allow for vehicles off the road for repairs.