Who was right or wrong

Im driving up the M6 this afternoon just before J15 im doing about 58-60 mph as you come up the hill before the junction i pulled out to overtake a couple of artics, I passed the 2nd one no problem then as we get to the top of the hill im 3/4s of the way past the front one when momentem takes over and the one infront shoots off then the 2nd starts coming over the hill and before i get chance to pull in he draws level with me. As we approach the on slip from J15 a 7.5t comes round the bend to enter the motorway, So this artic thats come up the INSIDE of me throws his indicator on and wants to pull out to let this 7.5t out. But as we’re cab to cab theres no way im gonna slow down and i cant speed up as im flat out (60ish) so this tool in the artic starts blasting the horn and hurling abuse at me Then starts to pull out whilst im at the side of him trying to force me into lane 3.

Now i was seeing red at this point and i did something that i dont normally do :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

So tell me was i right to stay in lane or should i of backed off even though he was losing speed due to running out of momentem :question: :question: :question:

simon

no you were right the other guy shoul;d have backed off it only takes lifting off for 10 seconds to allow you to pass and him get out muppet of the day me thinks

I think you were right to stay where you were but what did you do that you normally wouldn’t.
I gotta know.
Neil.

Yes you were correct Simon and the other thing that could have happened is the 7 and a half tonner could have eased off as well.

This sort of thing really racks me off. Motorists joining the motorway should adjust their speed (up or down) to find a gap. I realise that at times this can be virtually impossible and on a few occasions when I’ve been in that scenario I’ve used the hard shoulder for a hundred yards or so.

IMO as he was illegally trying to pass on the inside you were in the right.

im with the others, what did you do :wink:
by the way ,of course you were in the right. the bloke in the inside should not have even tried to move over,
you had started to pass so he should have backed of a bit anyhow.then when the7.5 tonner came on the scene the the truck on the inside should have held his speed and position. the 7.5 tonner has to give way and adjust his speed to join the motorway.
anyhow, what did you do :question: :wink:

This is the sort of post that usually gets RobK blowing (he thinks I have the fish sign on the back of my truck!)

Just to play the devil:-

1. You couldn’t complete an overtaking manouver. So you’re now going slower in Lane 2 than he was in Lane 1. So was he undertaking?

2. You should anticipate hazards at the slip road on — is it a good idea to sit along side another vehicle when we all bleat on about how the idiots join the main carriageway? You’ve got to give yourself, and the guy in the inside lane, a bit of space for an escape route. “Meat & Metal Sandwiches” — not a nice combination !.

3. Was there someone sitting behind your bandit HGV friend? What was he going to do, where was he going to go?

It’s easy to be HCC (highway code correct) and talk with hind sight.

I agree with everything said above — but it all assumes your overtaking a driver with a similar mentality. Personally, I would have backed off (whether in Lane 1 or 2) — I don’t like HGV’s along side when other vehicles are coming down the slip — they’re too unpredictable, and I don’t want to die!

I’ve held my Rigid Licence since 1981 and driven uncountable miles since then, almost 2 years ago I decided to fulfil an ambition of passing my C+E so booked a weeks course and a test :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

4 Days spent driving around Tyneside back behind the wheel, countless mock test where I was getting 9 minors :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Anyway, in answer to your question, I was on my test heading south down the A19 in the inside lane of a dual carriageway, no other vehicles on the road, and a car appears up the slip road, I did something I have always done and immediately checked mirrors, indicated and moved over to outside lane to let car onto dual carriageway.

At end of test I had 2 minors, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: When I asked what for, the first was for moving over to let the car join, even though nothing else was on the road :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So you were right, the other driver should not of even considered moving over and the 7.5 tonner should have slowed down to join behind, after all, they are give way markings at the end of the slip road

Davey Driver:
So you were right, the other driver should not of even considered moving over and the 7.5 tonner should have slowed down to join behind, after all, they are give way markings at the end of the slip road

Yes you were right for the reasons Davey has stated.

you were right the first one going off fair enough and the second one not slowing was fair enough as well and pulling along side was ok … because if he had slowed off even nearthe top of the hill would have still lost momentum but as for thinking you should slow down to let him out so lorry on slip rd could join… no no no no the lorry joining isnt your problem you shouldnt slow down.
ive said this before at the end of slip rds are give way markings so anyone joining the moterway has to give way to traffic already on the moterway.

simon you was right in what u did but next time give him scare and try push him onto the hard shoulder or get past him and tap ur brakes he will slow down then lol

The 7.5 tonner should have adjusted his speed to match the motorway.

A class 1 driver of 10 years once tried to tell me that it is the right of way for vehicles on the slip road joining a motorway. He claimed a policemean (on one of those camera, action shows) said it. I told him ■■■■■■■■, and that my class 2 instructor had told me it was wrong to pull out to let anyone out. He even tried to tell me my instructor didn’t know what he was talking about!!

Davey Driver:
Anyway, in answer to your question, I was on my test heading south down the A19 in the inside lane of a dual carriageway, no other vehicles on the road, and a car appears up the slip road, I did something I have always done and immediately checked mirrors, indicated and moved over to outside lane to let car onto dual carriageway.

At end of test I had 2 minors, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: When I asked what for, the first was for moving over to let the car join, even though nothing else was on the road :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I say that your examiner was having a bad day.

My copy of Roadcraft says:

If you are on the main carriageway, check your mirrors early and if possible allow traffic to join the motorway by making slight adjustments to your speed or changing to a lane on your right. However do not move to a lane on your right if it forces existing motorway users to change their speed or position. Ultimately it is the vehicle joining the motorway that should give way.

You were right.

What was it you did?

:wink:

MrFlibble:
I say that your examiner was having a bad day.

My copy of Roadcraft says:

If you are on the main carriageway, check your mirrors early and if possible allow traffic to join the motorway by making slight adjustments to your speed or changing to a lane on your right. However do not move to a lane on your right if it forces existing motorway users to change their speed or position. Ultimately it is the vehicle joining the motorway that should give way.

But I think you will find the examiner was taking this into account.

I was on my test heading south down the A19 in the inside lane of a dual carriageway, no other vehicles on the road, and a car appears up the slip road, I did something I have always done and immediately checked mirrors, indicated and moved over to outside lane to let car onto dual carriageway.

There were no other vehicles on the road, that means the car could have easily & safely adjusted speed to slot in.

daxi:

I was on my test heading south down the A19 in the inside lane of a dual carriageway, no other vehicles on the road, and a car appears up the slip road, I did something I have always done and immediately checked mirrors, indicated and moved over to outside lane to let car onto dual carriageway.

There were no other vehicles on the road, that means the car could have easily & safely adjusted speed to slot in.

Well, I guess that depends on the situation - I could easily envisage a situation with a short slip road, and where the car’s natural acceleration would put it on the road in front of you at a significantly lower speed, and they’d have to slow down quite a bit to let you go - in this situation, I’d say that it’s a good idea (and courteous) to pull over.

You were right to make the ■■■■ have it Simon. There are far too many HGV drivers who think they can use the size of their vehicle to intimidate other drivers. He should have anticipated another vehicle on the slip road and on J 15 its a very tight turn off the slip so even cars are travelling quite slowly. This clown is the type of muppet that gives us all a bad name. Pity you didn’t get his company and registration number then you could have named and shamed the prat. Personally, I just stick to 85 kph downhill or up(if I can). Keeps me out of trouble. Safe driving mate@

MrFlibble:

daxi:

Well, I guess that depends on the situation - I could easily envisage a situation with a short slip road, and where the car’s natural acceleration would put it on the road in front of you at a significantly lower speed, and they’d have to slow down quite a bit to let you go - in this situation, I’d say that it’s a good idea (and courteous) to pull over.

IMO any modern car should be able to get up to at least 60mph on any motorway slip road (none of them are that short), its only their lack of awareness/ laziness/incompetence that they don’t.

mrpj:
IMO any modern car should be able to get up to at least 60mph on any motorway slip road (none of them are that short), its only their lack of awareness/ laziness/incompetence that they don’t.

Mine (a P-reg 1.1-litre 106) is pushing it to get to 60 on an uphill slip road if starting from a standing start (like traffic lights on the roundabout). If I’m well loaded (e.g. 3+ passengers), then I’m lucky to get to 50. And yes, I do have my foot to the floor.

But even if it is due to lack of awareness/laziness/incompetence, do you (a) force them to slow right down at the end of the slip road to join behind you (or risk an accident when they pull out in front of you), or (b) move a lane to the right, and solve the problem? If you answered (a), then I’d say that you’re being overly obstinate and bloody-minded. Remember, the road is empty of other traffic, so you won’t be holding anyone up, and if the car does then accelerate away, you know there’s nothing in your blind spot so you can just move back in.

MrFlibble:

mrpj:

Mine (a P-reg 1.1-litre 106) is pushing it to get to 60 on an uphill slip road if starting from a standing start (like traffic lights on the roundabout). If I’m well loaded (e.g. 3+ passengers), then I’m lucky to get to 50. And yes, I do have my foot to the floor.

But even if it is due to lack of awareness/laziness/incompetence, do you (a) force them to slow right down at the end of the slip road to join behind you (or risk an accident when they pull out in front of you), or (b) move a lane to the right, and solve the problem? If you answered (a), then I’d say that you’re being overly obstinate and bloody-minded. Remember, the road is empty of other traffic, so you won’t be holding anyone up, and if the car does then accelerate away, you know there’s nothing in your blind spot so you can just move back in.

I answered (b) as, of course, it would not only be obstinate but potentially dangerous not to pull over, I was just trying to highlight the responsibilities of other drivers.