Who trains the trainers

hi i want to train as a lgv trainer so who are the best to go with ive seen j coates and rtitb academy or is there any one else thanks :confused: :confused: :confused:

Dont bother mate, I ran my own training school for 4 years without any qualifications, doesnt make any difference in my opinion, experience is all that counts

Spend Ā£2610 + VAT per delegate on an RTITB course or probably more on a DSA course (no price listed) to be DSA registered and then what :question: :question: :question:

Below are just the DSA test fee costs of about Ā£300 :blush: - Ā£450 :slight_smile: and on top of that you will have the training costs by the training provider which I would GUESS at being about the same as the RTITB.

CURRENT LGV TEST FEES SET BY THE DSA Test fees: Registration fee - Ā£58.75 Theory test fee - Ā£58.75 Practical Driving Test fee - Ā£96.35 Practical Instructional Ability Test fee - Ā£96.35
EDIT - The above fees are incorrect -
businesslink.gov.uk

The fees listed below are correct as of 30 March 2009.
Large goods vehicle instructor test fees

LGV register part one - theory test Ā£63.25
LGV register part two - driving ability Ā£136.85
LGV register part three - instructional ability Ā£136.85
LGV registration and re-registration fee Ā£115.00

ROG:
Spend Ā£2610 + VAT per delegate on an RTITB course or probably more on a DSA course to be DSA registered and then what :question: :question: :question:

Exactly ROG it doesnt get you anymore work.

This ā€œunregulatedā€ approach to driver training is almost as disturbing as the bus companies who can self examine drivers.

thanks for your comment ive been driving class 1 for 25 years so am i good enough to teach if i dont go on and register with dsa no training shcool will take me on and if i teach by my self wont my student wont to see my dsa registary :confused: :confused: :confused:

dangermousepenfold:
thanks for your comment ive been driving class 1 for 25 years so am i good enough to teach if i dont go on and register with dsa no training shcool will take me on and if i teach by my self wont my student wont to see my dsa registary :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you think you can teach then give it a go - teaching driving is hugely different to driving yourself.
I put a link in your other thread for the LGV INSTRUCTOR DEBATE which went to 4 pages of discussion about the Voluntary DSA LGV register so I wonā€™t go into all that again here.
The company does not have to be DSA registered nor does any instructor so why would someone ask for it when it has no real bearing ?

Before you spend lots of money training to be an LGV instructor, start with th DSA ADI licence for cars. I was a LGV driver, owner operator,employer for 17 years but it doesnt mean you can teach. Start with car ADI licence as this will be your bread and butter work to earn a living. I tried it with LGV 's and couldnā€™t make it pay so went back to cars. Most young LGV driver want the licence but do not have the money to pay for training. Most new LGV learners have their tuition paid for from the DOLE office or private road haulage companies. Down here in Exeter there are too many LGV trainers all cutting prices, you can by a weeks intensive course for Ā£500 or less for cash. You can not run lorries on this sort of money. As for local companies employing self-employed driving instructors they only pay Ā£8 per hour. That is why many LGV and PSV trainer work all day on the Learners then at night they are driving coaches till gone midnight and then starting work again on the learner lorries without enough rest. Rant over.

miketdt:
That is why many LGV and PSV trainer work all day on the Learners then at night they are driving coaches till gone midnight and then starting work again on the learner lorries without enough rest. Rant over.

That describes one of the instructors that taught me!

hi where i live in the new forest there are 3 training companys thay seem to be allways about maybe i should ask them but no doubt they would say that thay always busy so far everyone are saying dont do it and save my money :blush: :blush: :blush:

Warren T. Claim:
This ā€œunregulatedā€ approach to driver training is almost as disturbing as the bus companies who can self examine drivers.

I qualified as a DSA approved LGV/PCV Instructor but I can earn more money just driving a truck than I can teaching some one to drive one. Donā€™t make sense.
When it comes to training Truck and Bus drivers the lack of regulations is scaryā€¦ :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

A local instructor, who was ADI, DSA and more letters than I can remember, had to go out with another instructor that I know, to be shown how to drive a range change when the vehicle specifications changed back in 2007, because he had never driven one, and had only been instructing on a 6 speed box for years, thats how good the DSA registration scheme is :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

being able to drive yourself is a teaching qualification
i know it all pratically :laughing:
but i know i couldnt pass it on formally to a pupil

best of luck

hi im going out with dsa approved instuctor on friday just to see if im any good at instruction and see what he thinks of my driveing if he thinks im no good i have not lost a lot of money :confused: :confused: :confused:

dangermousepenfold:
hi im going out with dsa approved instuctor on friday just to see if im any good at instruction and see what he thinks of my driveing if he thinks im no good i have not lost a lot of money :confused: :confused: :confused:

Good move :smiley:

Nothing like having your own skills assessed/reviewed by someone else -

The senior LGV instructor who did this assessment is DSA registered.

lets hope i get a good report like that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dangermousepenfold:
lets hope i get a good report like that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have done over 10 years as an IAM observer/trainer/teacher so I feel very comfortable in the pasenger seat giving advice and/or instructions so that gave me a big ā€˜edgeā€™ when I started LGV instructing.

I know that when I trained to be an DSA ADI there were statistics about a few years ago that for every 100 trainee driving instructors only 17 per 100 qualified.This is why the big boys are interested in training adiā€™s because they make more money from those who keep trying and fail.
Once you have qualified then comes the hard bit making a living to support your family, when all around you people are working for nothing. Reminds me of the old days in road haulage ,nothing changes ,what goes around comes around. Its taken me 16 years to be comfortable making a living as an adi , but you canā€™t take your eye of the ball or someone is after your work.

ROG:
CURRENT LGV TEST FEES SET BY THE DSA Test fees: Registration fee - Ā£58.75 Theory test fee - Ā£58.75 Practical Driving Test fee - Ā£96.35 Practical Instructional Ability Test fee - Ā£96.35

Where did you get these figures Rog? They seem like they could be for a Car driving instructor rather than an LGV instructor fees?

instructorone:

ROG:

Where did you get these figures Rog? They seem like they could be for a Car driving instructor rather than an LGV instructor fees?

THESE have done the same research as me to get the same figures ā€¦ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: