Who can teach me?

:confused: Hello, I’m not sure if I can just post this question or if I have to attach it to something else, I’ve searched for the answer in the forum and on google but with no luck.

Can someone please advise me on who can teach me to drive a rigid lorry category C. Well not teach me sit with me with “L” plates on while I practice my driving.

I’m a bit confused and keep getting told different information from different sources. I’m currently doing my HGV Training “C” on day 2 of training.

One of the men at work passed his CE Artic test many years ago when you could apparently go straight to CE without passing your C Rigid Test first. Is this correct?? Is that how it used to be??

Anyway I’ve got a day off on Monday with my driver training and my transport manager at work has told me that he has been advised that because my work collegue did not pass his C test he’s not allowed to take me out on Monday for a bit of a drive around. Even though i’ve checked on his licence this morning and he has a full category C and CE on his licence. Passed it a long time ago…

I’ve looked on the Direct gov website and it says as long as you’ve held that category for minimum of three years it’s fine. I don’t understand that he can take me out in the artic when I pass my rigid but he can’t take me out in my rigid to practice.

Can someone please tell me if he can or not take me out to practice on Monday… Thank-you for any help… :frowning:

Ready to learn…:
One of the men at work passed his CE Artic test many years ago when you could apparently go straight to CE without passing your C Rigid Test first. Is this correct?? Is that how it used to be??

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, yes, I took my HGV 1 test in 1986, driving a Ford Cargo daycab with a 20’ single-axle empty flatbed trailer, passed and got my Class 1 licence, prior to this the biggest thing I had ever driven was a Ford Transit on my car licence. No theory test then either.

Thirdly, ROG is the man to answer your main point, he will be along shortly.

Thank-you, I wish it was that straight forward nowadays, 3 theory tests later a lot poorer…

Stick with it r-t-l. Like Harry says, when Rog has had his tea, and a power nap, he will put you on the right track. Help is on the way. Watch this space. :wink: :wink:

Yes, it was easier then, it changed around 1993 or 1994. I had a ten-day course over two weeks, four hours a day, and took my test on the tenth day, and my lessons cost £650 (which was obviously worth more then). Total cost of getting my licence including assessment drive, medical, test fee, provisional licence etc would have been about £750 I suppose.

I’m a bit concerned that ROG hasn’t answered yet, it’s been half-an-hour now. Do you think we ought to phone Age Concern and get them to pop round to see if he’s ok? :wink:

Harry Monk:
Yes, it was easier then, it changed around 1993 or 1994. I had a ten-day course over two weeks, four hours a day, and took my test on the tenth day, and my lessons cost £650 (which was obviously worth more then). Total cost of getting my licence including assessment drive, medical, test fee, provisional licence etc would have been about £750 I suppose.

I’m a bit concerned that ROG hasn’t answered yet, it’s been half-an-hour now. Do you think we ought to phone Age Concern and get them to pop round to see if he’s ok? :wink:

Hi Harry,
Glad to see you back with us. :smiley:

I’m sure that ROG will be fine. He’ll probably reappear at some point soon, but for the meantime, I’ve moved this to the newbies’ forum, where all the other LGV instructors are more likely to see it and add their input. :wink:

Harry Monk:
Total cost of getting my licence including assessment drive, medical, test fee, provisional licence etc would have been about £750 I suppose.

:astonished:

Ready to learn…:

You could up until 1997 nowadays it is indeed C before CE. A FULL licence holder can supervise a learner if they’ve held their category for at least 3 years but if you’re doing it at work check the insurance is valid.

mrpj:
You could up until 1997 nowadays it is indeed C before CE. A FULL licence holder can supervise a learner if they’ve held their category for at least 3 years but if you’re doing it at work check the insurance is valid

Even though he never actually took a test in a rigid? :question:

Ready to learn…:
:? Hello, I’m not sure if I can just post this question or if I have to attach it to something else, I’ve searched for the answer in the forum and on google but with no luck.

Hi RTL,

There’s no problem with just asking a question if you wish, and I’ve moved your post to the forum which I feel is better suited to your question.
BTW, you can now join in with all the fun and ask as many questions as you like. :smiley:

If I were you, I’d be very careful of doing ‘Google’ searches for LGV tuition, because there’s all manner of answers that you’re likely to get, so I’d advise caution to anybody using info gleaned from unknown websites. :wink:

At least the folks on here are real. (Well, most of them anyway. :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:)

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Ready to learn… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Ready to learn…:
Can someone please advise me on who can teach me to drive a rigid lorry category C. Well not teach me sit with me with “L” plates on while I practice my driving.

It will need to be in a rigid with a driver who is over 21 and has had that licence for at least 3 years.
Also required is the permission of the truck owner and that of the truck insurers.
You already know that ‘L’ plates are required on front & rear (the same plates that are on learner cars)

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature at the bottom of this post. The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009 and applies to all those under 21 and those over 21 who passed their car test 1997 onwards
Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

If I were you, I’d be very careful of doing ‘Google’ searches for LGV tuition, because there’s all manner of answers that you’re likely to get, so I’d advise caution to anybody using info gleaned from unknown websites.

Thanks for the advice, i was getting nowhere fast… :frowning:

Ready to learn…:
Anyway I’ve got a day off on Monday with my driver training and my transport manager at work has told me that he has been advised that because my work collegue did not pass his C test he’s not allowed to take me out on Monday for a bit of a drive around. Even though i’ve checked on his licence this morning and he has a full category C and CE on his licence. Passed it a long time ago…

I’ve looked on the Direct gov website and it says as long as you’ve held that category for minimum of three years it’s fine. I don’t understand that he can take me out in the artic when I pass my rigid but he can’t take me out in my rigid to practice.

Can someone please tell me if he can or not take me out to practice on Monday… Thank-you for any help… :frowning:

With the provisos that I put in my last post - yes he can & your TM needs some training :wink:

ROG:
. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Ready to learn… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Ready to learn…:

It will need to be in a rigid with a driver who is over 21 and has had that licence for at least 3 years.
Also required is the permission of the truck owner and that of the truck insurers.
You already know that ‘L’ plates are required on front & rear (the same plates that are on learner cars)

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature at the bottom of this post. The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009 and applies to all those under 21 and those over 21 who passed their car test 1997 onwards
Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

:open_mouth: Thank-you that’s amazing… Yes my boss already checked with the company’s insurance and my transport manager had okayed it, It was just that a lady from Chard Transport or something like that insisted that I wasn’t allowed to go out, and it all went a bit pear shaped. It was all organised then stopped because of what this lady had said. i can’t thank-you all enough. :smiley:

I’ll let you know how i get on, all going well so far and enjoying my training a lot… Harder then I thought it would be but still enjoying it. :smiley:

Which LGV school are you training with ?

Ready to learn…:

If I were you, I’d be very careful of doing ‘Google’ searches for LGV tuition, because there’s all manner of answers that you’re likely to get, so I’d advise caution to anybody using info gleaned from unknown websites.

Hi RTL,

That’s no problem mate. You’ve come to the right place now, and we’re glad to help. :smiley:

Please note that the nurse usually confiscates ROG’s keyboard at 10pm, and then stands him in his regeneration alcove for a while. :laughing: :wink:

dieseldave:

Ready to learn…:
:? Hello, I’m not sure if I can just post this question or if I have to attach it to something else, I’ve searched for the answer in the forum and on google but with no luck.

Hi RTL,

There’s no problem with just asking a question if you wish, and I’ve moved your post to the forum which I feel is better suited to your question.
BTW, you can now join in with all the fun and ask as many questions as you like. :smiley:

If I were you, I’d be very careful of doing ‘Google’ searches for LGV tuition, because there’s all manner of answers that you’re likely to get, so I’d advise caution to anybody using info gleaned from unknown websites. :wink:

At least the folks on here are real. (Well, most of them anyway. :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:)

How true Dave, look what I found while searching a matter close to my heart, do you think the originator could be a member of these forums?

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
The truth of the matter is that the ADR is the biggest load of ■■■■■■■■ under the sun.Its a way of some bloody training agency screwing 600 quid out of you for [zb] all.Ive had my ADR for 25 bloody years and its bloody rubbish.People seem to think (correctly) that the ADR is going to teach you about driving a tanker where in reality its going to teach you about bloody legislation.On the course there is no mention of the actual mechanics of loading or unloading tanks,washouts or pitfalls you might come across such as tank collapse.In fact the last time I took my refresher the pillock tutor had never even driven a bloody tanker.Its like this new drivers CPC which starts next year,just another way of screwing you for your cash and a totally pointless exercise.You have to have the ADR but don’t really expect to learn anything from it its down to,as usual,hands on training by the people who do the job and not some prat in a suit behind a bloody desk

:laughing:

I didn’t think my slight railroad would affect this thread as it will probably turn into a DSA against ADI argument :wink:

ROG:
Which LGV school are you training with ?

FCD in Devon… They do all our driver training.

r-t-l. Just over an hour since you first posted, and here you are getting info from the Cream of the TNUK crop.Rog and DD. :laughing: :laughing:

ps. Rog and DD. my man who did the assessment yesterday, has now been invited for an induction session next Friday. He is now knee deep in “HGV Training Tips”, and all of the attached links. Thanks Again.

dieseldave:

Ready to learn…:

Hi RTL,

That’s no problem mate. You’ve come to the right place now, and we’re glad to help. :smiley:

Please note that the nurse usually confiscates ROG’s keyboard at 10pm, and then stands him in his regeneration alcove for a while. :laughing: :wink:

lol! :laughing: