Who can teach me?

Ready to learn…:

mrpj:
You could up until 1997 nowadays it is indeed C before CE. A FULL licence holder can supervise a learner if they’ve held their category for at least 3 years but if you’re doing it at work check the insurance is valid

Even though he never actually took a test in a rigid? :question:

Correct, in fact some years ago you didn’t even need a car licence and could start in an artic.

Correct, in fact some years ago you didn’t even need a car licence and could start in an artic.

:open_mouth: OMG! that’s crazy… :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
I didn’t think my slight railroad would affect this thread as it will probably turn into a DSA against ADI argument :wink:

I couldn’t see the relevance of the quote in the middle, but this part I’ve quoted got my attention. :wink:

:open_mouth: Then I got to wondering whether it might acquire a hint of drivers’ hours, a smattering of H&S and go on to be a 10-page epic. :grimacing:

I’m not sure what poor RTL thinks of all this, but let’s hope that there is a God and that he’s merciful. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ready to learn…:

ROG:
Which LGV school are you training with ?

FCD in Devon… They do all our driver training.

You cant go wrong with them, I done my training with fcd and i cant reccomend them enough!
John Ford is a legend!!

Ready to learn…:

Hi RTL, it’s absolutely correct mate.

When I got told I’d passed my HGV1 (C+E) [ :blush: :blush: at the second attempt :blush: :blush: ] the examiner asked me whether I had a car licence.
I replied that I had a car licence, then the examiner said: “I have to ask in case you don’t have a car licence, because if you hadn’t, I’d write you another test pass ticket for a car straight away.”

That was indeed the way it was in 1979. Honestly!! :smiley:

I’ve just checked the records and found that this post has had over 20 replies in less than an hour since I moved it.

Nice one chaps!! :grimacing:

I’m not sure what poor RTL thinks of all this, but let’s hope that there is a God and that he’s merciful. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you are all extremely helpful and very informative, a little nuts, but very greatful for everyone’s help. :smiley:

dieseldave:

Ready to learn…:

When I got told I’d passed my HGV1 (C+E) [ :blush: :blush: at the second attempt :blush: :blush: ] the examiner asked me whether I had a car licence.
I replied that I had a car licence, then the examiner said: “I have to ask in case you don’t have a car licence, because if you hadn’t, I’d write you another test pass ticket for a car straight away.”

Just as you could have done a class 2 or 3 instead from nothing and then coupled up a 2 or 3 axle drawbar trailer to them at 38 tonnes gross. :smiley: Better days.

total madness:

Ready to learn…:

ROG:

You cant go wrong with them, I done my training with fcd and i cant reccomend them enough!
John Ford is a legend!!

I know he’s just brilliant… John Ford is my instructor atm… everyone i’ve met that’s learnt with them says the same. :smiley: the legend that is John…

Ready to learn…:

total madness:

Ready to learn…:

ROG:

John Ford is a legend!!

I know he’s just brilliant… John Ford is my instructor atm… everyone i’ve met that’s learnt with them says the same. :smiley: the legend that is John…

I have yet to hear a bad word about them, I did my cat c and cpc a couple of months back with fcd and ill be going back to do my c+e with them soon,
Tell John that Dwayne said breakfast is on me!!
Good luck with it all, you could not be in better hands :smiley:

dieseldave:

And that was a better system. Every time they tighten the rules, it just brings in another layer of parasites to keep, without adding anything to road safety. We’ve got another tranche of useless stuffed-shirt spongers to keep now, courtesy of the DCPC. I don’t know why we can’t get people to do proper, productive jobs.

total madness:

Ready to learn…:

total madness:

Ready to learn…:

ROG:

John Ford is a legend!!

I have yet to hear a bad word about them, I did my cat c and cpc a couple of months back with fcd and ill be going back to do my c+e with them soon,
Tell John that Dwayne said breakfast is on me!!
Good luck with it all, you could not be in better hands :smiley:

Will do…

Day 3 tomorrow, will keep you posted… :smiley:

Ready to learn…:
:open_mouth: Yes my boss already checked with the company’s insurance and my transport manager had okayed it, It was just that a lady from Chard Transport or something like that insisted that I wasn’t allowed to go out, and it all went a bit pear shaped. It was all organised then stopped because of what this lady had said. i can’t thank-you all enough. :smiley:

maybe she was getting confused with this

dsa.gov.uk/News.asp?id=SX8CAE-A7834D49

Those new arrangements will come into effect on 1 May 2010. From that date, it will be illegal for anyone to act as an accompanying driver in a category C1, C1+E, D1 or D1+E vehicle unless they have passed a driving test for the particular category of vehicle concerned.

Denis F:

Ready to learn…:
:open_mouth: Yes my boss already checked with the company’s insurance and my transport manager had okayed it, It was just that a lady from Chard Transport or something like that insisted that I wasn’t allowed to go out, and it all went a bit pear shaped. It was all organised then stopped because of what this lady had said. i can’t thank-you all enough. :smiley:

maybe she was getting confused with this

dsa.gov.uk/News.asp?id=SX8CAE-A7834D49

Those new arrangements will come into effect on 1 May 2010. From that date, it will be illegal for anyone to act as an accompanying driver in a category C1, C1+E, D1 or D1+E vehicle unless they have passed a driving test for the particular category of vehicle concerned.

Of bigger concern is the question WTF was she doing out of the kitchen anyway? :wink:

Running for cover.

Coffeeholic:

Denis F:

Ready to learn…:

Of bigger concern is the question WTF was she doing out of the kitchen anyway? :wink:

Running for cover.

yep think you should Mr Hobbs :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

dieseldave:

And that was a better system. Every time they tighten the rules, it just brings in another layer of parasites to keep, without adding anything to road safety. We’ve got another tranche of useless stuffed-shirt spongers to keep now, courtesy of the DCPC. I don’t know why we can’t get people to do proper, productive jobs.

Couldn’t agree more.

When I did my Class 1 a few months back, I found that my experience on rigids counted for little as the driving style for artics is totally different as it is for wagons. Didn’t see the point of having the Class 2 if the honest truth was to be told as it didn’t really help me at all.

Found that when I went back on the rigids after passing that I was a much better driver of them. With all these cutbacks in government spending perhaps we would be better off going back to the old way of HGV licences to save a bit of our hard earned money.

Bit of advice to the OP - if you do go for your C+E (IMO you should be able to do this straight away, but I can’t help the system) make sure you’re paid Class 1 money whatever driving job you’re doing as you’ll be a far better driver of anything and this needs to be recognised by any future employer.

Age 17 for car and now age 18 for LGVs - we might as well put them together - just image it - one of todays teenagers doing their very first licence in an artic … let me think some more on this :wink:

dieseldave:

Ready to learn…:

I got my class 1 on grandad rights, even though I was only 22…or was I 21. Anyway, I came to Oz after driving artics in Engerland and they gave me my car licence, but made me take a test for the artic (E Class here), bloody cheek. I did have a car licence since I was 17 though. :sunglasses:

I PASSED! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ready to learn…:

Hi RTL,

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

:bulb: Don’t write it small like this:

Ready to learn…:

Instead, be proud and write it big like this:

Ready to learn…: