Whites transport

I follow this company on Facebook because I think they have a smart looking fleet and they do some interesting work. Fridges into Europe and to the Scottish fishing ports etc.

They’ve put on Facebook just now that they have a truck broken down near Mont Blanc with a gear box issue and can anyone recommend recovery back to the U.K.

What I don’t understand about that is why a company would send trucks into Europe or even around the U.K. without full support for technical and issues and recovery already lined up? And don’t say cost because surely that’s something you would automatically factor in to running transport? Am I wrong?

Also they have a pretty new fleet I’d have thought it would still be under warranty and full manufacturers support?

It would be down to cost otherwise they would get it done down there its very expensive to get it done in europe and with recovery to a garage down there would add more money maybe the truck is out of warranty as ray white has been doing european for years he will know the cheapest option.

Yeah I know ray white is highly experienced and he knows best. I still find it odd though. I wouldn’t dream of taking my car to Europe without having this kind of support lined up and one phone call away should I need it, never mind for a truck.

Given that it costs well over £1,000 to get a tyre blowout sorted in France it’s not surprising that an operator might look at getting a truck recovered back to the UK for a major mechanical repair.

I’m with the OP Harry, I find it odd that he doesnt have an avenue already explored. I had Scania lifeline, Renault 24 etc or if it was a disaster we sent a low loader across to collect a unit. In other words, we had a plan we could adapt to circumstances.

albion:
I’m with the OP Harry, I find it odd that he doesnt have an avenue already explored. I had Scania lifeline, Renault 24 etc or if it was a disaster we sent a low loader across to collect a unit. In other words, we had a plan we could adapt to circumstances.

Maybe they’ve got a quote to get it back from wherever it’s been taken to and it was eye watering, so they looking at other options.
We normally used DKV for any breakdowns, punctures etc, the last one which took out 2 trailer tyres cost €1500, but if we had to bring one back it was a call to Mick Goulds, only had to do that once and that was Calais to Tunbridge Wells. I do know of a race team whose 10 year old Mercedes broke down in Barcelona, so they cut their loses and sold it out there.

Rowley010:
I follow this company on Facebook because I think they have a smart looking fleet and they do some interesting work. Fridges into Europe and to the Scottish fishing ports etc.

They’ve put on Facebook just now that they have a truck broken down near Mont Blanc with a gear box issue and can anyone recommend recovery back to the U.K.

What I don’t understand about that is why a company would send trucks into Europe or even around the U.K. without full support for technical and issues and recovery already lined up? And don’t say cost because surely that’s something you would automatically factor in to running transport? Am I wrong?

Also they have a pretty new fleet I’d have thought it would still be under warranty and full manufacturers support?

I follow their facebook regularly and they have a post about explaining full European R&M package included. He probably means anyone can take the loaded trailer back&delivered to UK…not the unit!

It’s also possible at this time of year the repair may not be completed until after Christmas so makes sense to bring it back

It’s not the repair I’m questioning. That being done in uk yeah I can understand. But on Facebook they were asking for recommendations/suggestions for recovery. Not for repair for recovery. My point therefore is that if I was taking my own car to Europe I’d make sure I’d got full breakdown and recovery back to the uk sorted before I go with only a phone call required to set the ball rolling. Surely for a commercial vehicle you’d want your recovery lined up and ready at the end of the phone before you send a truck out there? That’s the bit I don’t understand. Not the where he intends to get the repair done bit.

When I did it if we needed something recovering we called Crouch and if they couldnt arrange it they went across and dragged it back themselves.

Mick Gould at Royal Oak Garage Flimwell on the A21 does comparatively quite a lot of European repatriation recovery.

Mick Gould…The BEST by a country mile and can bring the whole lot back for them.

Id say there more experienced then nearly everyone on this forum in there field of work so theyll be reasoning behind it.

Recovery is only a phone call away on the fuel/service cards but anyone thats ever had to do that knows the type of eyewatering bills that generate quickly.

I know pete use to frequent these forums, so maybe well find out.

Maybe it’s the time of year, someone is holding back sending a low loader out on a job without a load back. Andy Park. Karl Skilton may know someone looking for a load back, they both use Facebook as does Ray White

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like ashley wood recovery to the rescue…
[emoji598][emoji100][emoji100]
[emoji386][emoji386]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They have someone going out to drag it back…its one of the 730s that has gone down with gearbox problems…

Posted an hour ago if anybody is interested…[emoji57][emoji57]

Not sure what happened with the pic…help!!!

Afternoon Gentlemen,

This 2017 S730 doesn’t have an R&M package. (There are well known issues about Scania Warranty and R&M being blocked by Scania GB for trucks sold by non Scania Dealers) Out of my 20 Trucks, 10 have full R&M and the other 10 we cover the cost. 5 weeks ago this truck had a Major Service with main dealer including gearbox and clutch software updates. The gearbox grind to a halt 1km from the Entrance to the Mont Blanc yesterday morning heading back to the UK. We were forced to pay €1000 for a 500m tow into a parking area. The next quote was €4300 to tow this truck and trailer 67km to Scania Bonneville (France) - Scania Italy would be 3x the price of Scania UK for the repair. We want our home dealer to repair this truck, once a foreign dealer has the gearbox out I’m at their mercy. After seeing 1st hand many times how foreign dealers rip off British hauliers I wouldn’t want them to change a bulb let alone strip a gearbox. I don’t expect any change from £10k to sort this out and yea it’s a kick in the balls, but that’s transport. A £150k Scania S730 V8 shouldn’t do a gear box at this age.

Merry Crimbo All. Have a good one.

PS - I’m setting up a go fund me page if any of you want to donate [emoji23][emoji23]

Pete.

Where we broke down.