White Trux

This company’s name has come up on the Astran thread but I feel they were large enough to merit their own.

They were created when Michael White, a wholesale greengrocer, bought out the interests of Bagleys plasterers in Parkes International Trailers who were based in Wingham, Kent.

The original transport manager was Brian Starbuck who was a character in his own right and there must be many drivers with memories of the company and of course Brian.

They also at one time had a fleet of trucks operating in Saudi Arabia.

This should be a very entertaining subject!

Back in the 80’s/90’s and operating from Dover,although I directly did not do any work for Whitetrux his reputation was well know.
I can remember a tale of a drivers possessions,sleeping bag,TV et al being launched over the sea wall in the Eastern docks for some minor infringment.

I ended up getting to know Vic Summers very well,he was with whitetrux at Aylesham and out in saudi with them i believe. I do know he went on to help get European Freight up and running for michael White I’ll try and contact him and see if he will post some tales !!! Does anybody else remember Vic ■■

Yes I remember White trux my family worked for michael white for many years.
My dad was one of his longest serving drivers his name was Tony Buckle.
He sadly passed away in June 2009.

BuckleJ:

about 25yr ago meet a white trux driver in milan,are we one hitting it back to the boat he asked lol, you crak on pal, he was still sat in wheelhouse at dover when i shipped in

Did Brian go on to make his fortune from overpriced take away coffee? sorry couldn’t resist :grimacing: nothing constructive to add I’m afraid, used to load them to and from italy occasionally mid 80s though

search them theres a few threds on here about them.i wanted pictures of the sk mercs he ran and got one would like to see more if you have any :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bit of useless information really but I recall paying a WhiteTrux driver to sit in his cab for 10 minutes as he had the luxury of having aircon fitted to his F88. This was whilst we were parked at the restaurant run by the Koreans (IIRC?) next to Davies Turner’s yard in Tehran back in 75/76. Although it was a great relief to sit in the cool environment for a few moments, it made it all the worse when I had to get back out into the heat again! :frowning:

Some pictures supplied by Jock Landsborough, if i remember correctly the tall guy with curly hair is was called Peter ?.

The tall guy could be the late Peter Martin who went on to work with me at OHS.

I used to hear of drivers talking about driving for Mick or Micky White. I knew they were bulls hitters as it was only ever Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

Heres a few from the other thread. :wink:

MOC:
Heres a few from the other thread. :wink:

How did that end up on a Q plate?

Wheel Nut ,
Dont know how that one finished up on a Q plate but came accross this one,thats also a ex white trux Volvo88 and this message was writen underneath the pic.
“ALP61S is an ex White Trux motor,I think someone has saved her for preservation”
" Hi, yeah im the man whos got this truck now, in the process of restoring her."
Cheers Bubbs,

Heres ALP 61S before being sold

MOC:
Wheel Nut ,
Dont know how that one finished up on a Q plate but came accross this one,thats also a ex white trux Volvo88 and this message was writen underneath the pic.
“ALP61S is an ex White Trux motor,I think someone has saved her for preservation”
" Hi, yeah im the man whos got this truck now, in the process of restoring her."
Cheers Bubbs,

In General Q plates were fitted to dubious trucks or made from bits.

Reconstructed classics or replica classic vehicles built to original specifications using a mixture of new and used components, will be issued a Q registration number. The vehicle must have a IVA, SVA or MSVA.

This practice only lasted a few years and there are a lot of ex military stuff on them, and I remember DC’s was on a Q***EGV

Yea i heard that,perhaps the Scania was on a Q plate when WhiteTrux Had it,I personaly didnt know that trux :confused:

BuckleJ:

Sorry to hear about your dad, I worked with him at European for a couple of years. RIP

sorry if you have seen this on other threads but this is my F89-ALP 61S, Ex White Trux !:wink:

white trux 027.JPG