Which way is best?

Leaving Newcastle (silverlink) 5am sunday morning heading for Telford.

My satnav;

A19, A168, A1M, A1, M18, M1, A42, M42, M6, M54

AA route planner;

A19, A168, A1M, M1, M62, M60, M62, M6, M54

I think its 6 and 2 3’s really, AA route means I miss out brum though.

Which way would you go?

Thanks

I do this run quite regular, but come off j15 m6 eccleshall, a519 i think, its quite a good route.
Hope this helps you.

So you think M62 route is faster, does the shorter distance vs speed limit on the A519 work out quicker, it must do I suppose if you go that way, I can do a 10 hr drive time for tomorrow so got plenty enough time.

Knowing what Brum is like at most times of day, I would say that either way should be quite a good run

Personally, It would be via Manchester for me and a long hike down the M6 and almost a guarantee that you would miss any problems between jct 4 and 10 M6

rubyroo2:
I do this run quite regular, but come off j15 m6 eccleshall, a519 i think, its quite a good route.
Hope this helps you.

agreed, that is a nice short cut across to the M54

Alcpone:
So you think M62 route is faster, does the shorter distance vs speed limit on the A519 work out quicker, it must do I suppose if you go that way, I can do a 10 hr drive time for tomorrow so got plenty enough time.

It takes me about 4h 15min from Sunderland, M62 route, traffic depending obviously.

Based in Telford myself,my preferred route would be gate 28 M1,down the A38 and head across Brownhills,Cannock to the 54.
You’ve got the ministry at Wall but if you close your eyes you wont see 'em.

Bri posted just while I was writing this out. Used to do East Yorks to Shrewsbury regulary for an 8.30am arrival and tried all routes. By far the best is as follows.

Go down A1 to M18 then onto M1. Off at J28 M1 onto A38 past Derby then keep on going straight on to A5 Watling Street at Litchfield instead of following A38 down to Brum. Keep on going down A5 til you get to a roundabout where u can no longer go straight on and turn right then 1st left at next one and first left at one after that. which puts you on the A460. Follow that to M6 junction but go straight over through Shareshill and follow to J1 on M54 then take that to Telford.

Here you go…
maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=M1& … 2&t=m&z=11

Thanks for replies.

I am just wanting it to be as easy a route as possible for a sunday, not bothered if the easiest route is longer aslong as I can get it done in my hours, I will play it by ear with the TMC.

Cheers

Conor:
Bri posted just while I was writing this out. Used to do East Yorks to Shrewsbury regulary for an 8.30am arrival and tried all routes. By far the best is as follows.

Go down A1 to M18 then onto M1. Off at J28 M1 onto A38 past Derby then keep on going straight on to A5 Watling Street at Litchfield instead of following A38 down to Brum. Keep on going down A5 til you get to a roundabout where u can no longer go straight on and turn right then 1st left at next one and first left at one after that. which puts you on the A460. Follow that to M6 junction but go straight over through Shareshill and follow to J1 on M54 then take that to Telford.

Here you go…
maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=M1& … 2&t=m&z=11

^^^ +1

Why would you go to Brum if you’re going to Telford from the North? :confused:

bigvern1:

Because I believe the sat nav say’s so. ■■■■■■■ sat navs,wouldn’t be without mine BUT…not for getting from A-B,you cant beat the map and experience for that but they do come into their own in trying to nail down that last half mile of the address.

I can’t believe they moved Telford South of Brum! Must be using Rob’s cheap-■■■ sat nav! :laughing:

bigvern1:
I can’t believe they moved Telford South of Brum! Must be using Rob’s cheap-■■■ sat nav! :laughing:

I’m sure Rob’s ■■■ as been used for many things and now a sat nav!

SSSHHH. All is calm at the mo!

rubyroo2:
Hope this helps you.

A519 A41 A518 would be the shortest route, but not the quickest. I live just off the 519, it’s great road, but quite tight in places! M6 junc 11 right turn onto A460 then M54 is the quickest route!

kayvee:

rubyroo2:
Hope this helps you.

A519 A41 A518 would be the shortest route, but not the quickest. I live just off the 519, it’s great road, but quite tight in places! M6 junc 11 right turn onto A460 then M54 is the quickest route!

I use the 519 regular and I find that it actually takes the same time…unless you is in a urry at night then the 519 is quicker.

bigvern1:

+1 lol i did think this doubted myself for a second

Whats the point in owning a sat nav if you dont trust it ? what a waste of money, either take the route it gave you or throw it away and look ata road atlas.

Conor:

This way, peak time or quiet.

Stan

Pat Hasler:
Whats the point in owning a sat nav if you dont trust it ? what a waste of money, either take the route it gave you or throw it away and look ata road atlas.

I’ve got one of those Tomtom IQ Route things. Changes the route depending on the time of day. Its never sent me the same way twice, not that I take much notice of it apart from the last few miles.