Which one of the following pays the most?

Per hour and total, I understand one will generally tend to be more hours per day/week.

a) car transporter
b) ADR tanker
c) wide/heavy loads

Class 1

ty

I’d guess wide heavy loads.

Don’t think car transporters are on much

Car transporters can pay pretty well. They usually pay per vehicle unloaded so the faster you can work the more you can earn.
ADR can pay pretty well, plus it offers a lot more variety, as you can do packages or tanks as well as all of the different things you can carry. Also worth remembering that ADR can lead to PDP, and fuel work is generally better paid than any of the options you’ve listed.
Don’t know much about wide/heavy loads, but I’d guess that this would be the lowest paying option of the three

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fuel tankers generally paid more?

Not what I’ve been hearing sadly. Talking to a guy last night and he gets £11.73 an hour for PDP, bonus of enhanced rate after 8 hours though. Where as in general haulage, with a bit of ADR fertiliser every now and then I’m on a flat rat of £12.50.

I don’t think there’s a list any more, it’s now whatever they can get away with paying across the board.

Yeah ADR stuff seems to have dropped but then again it’s not really a niche anymore due to so many having some form of ADR ticket

I would say Car transporters £800 pw
Fuel £700 and special types can vary depending on job but I averaged £400 pw in early 90s on Euro oversized so probably a little bit more by now but certainly not keeping up with inflation.

If car transporters only paid £800 a week, cars would be stacked 10 high at the docks and factories cos no bugger would be in the lorries shifting them and you’d see a return to new cars being trade plated all over the country.
Don’t get me wrong, you’ll earn every bloody ha’penny but a transporter driver will normally see a top line well ahead of the others…however, it all depends on the individual contracts, and once again the only calc that really counts is where you divide the top line by the number of hours worked and factor in a variance for premium hours written into the contract and how hard you are working for the money.

Cars and Plant type low loader work will normally be a lot harder work than tankers, so should pay more.
I’ve heard of some unbelievable rates being offered for tanker drivers, apparently there’s one live ad at the moment that is little short of an insult, it’s from a contractor who has recently replaced another contractor, little wonder they need to advertise :unamused:

Bad week on car transporters I take home £750, good week £850. Not including weeks with quarterly damage bonus.

Never worked a Saturday, and I get three or four weeks a year paid compulsory rest on top of my holidays

I think the BCA boys are on a grand a week on transporters, I may be wrong with that but that’s what I heard from the horses mouth. Away all week and a lot of hours obviously.

Non tanks adr round my way seems to pay poorly. Adr tanks also, seen Suttons advertising recently at 33k for some pretty out there shift patterns.

I personally have no interest in fuel tanker work, ie petrol, it looks as dull as dish water and health and safety mad.

I imagine low loaders etc pay fairly well however I think its same as everything else you have to find the cream

Re car transporters it used to be said that a job driving one for Ford was the Holy Grail of lorry driving, nigh on impossible to get on but obscene amounts of money apparently. Anybody know if this is still the case?

Im on the car transporters now, class 2. And its very rare i take home less than 620 a week. Thats doing salvage, so class1, doing new cars, it wouldnt surprise me if its near double.

ETS:
Per hour and total, I understand one will generally tend to be more hours per day/week.

a) car transporter
b) ADR tanker
c) wide/heavy loads

Class 1

ty

Train driver

the maoster:
Re car transporters it used to be said that a job driving one for Ford was the Holy Grail of lorry driving, nigh on impossible to get on but obscene amounts of money apparently. Anybody know if this is still the case?

Ford advertise from time to time in Essex .

…Any of the above in the south of England, or near a transport hub district near a motorway split junction. :neutral_face:

Go north of the border though, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you got minimum wages for being an aircraft pilot with astronaut training, and a HGV licence… :unamused:
(…and if you ain’t got your September 2019 blue card renewed yet - you’d have to beg on your knees - to even get one of those jobs.)

truckerjimbo:

ETS:

a) car transporter
b) ADR tanker
c) wide/heavy loads

Class 1

ty

Train driver

Pilot

the maoster:

They were on 50k a year a long time ago.

Wide loads - just depends how wide and where you’re going. I did a wide load job from Fordingbridge to Alton once and the paperwork routed it via Salisbury and A303. Took 4 hours to do a normally hour long journey. Not to mention the 3 hour loading and unloading time. If you end up doing longer routes you could long out the hours as long as you don’t mind driving slow or with an ■■■■■■.

Tanker drivers get paid well but is it worth it? You’re driving a moving bomb, it’s dirty, you can’t take your phone with you and you’ve got to be on the ball 100% of the time.

Car transporters get paid really well but that’s because they have to tramp in low roof cabs, constantly have to measure their height and you’ll be the first one responsible if there’s any damage to the goods.

halewood:

the maoster:

They were on 50k a year a long time ago.

Toleman’s lads on the then new 12 car carriers when they came out in '87 IIRC, were knocking up a grand a week then.

Never heard of Ford advertising for transporter drivers before (ref Chester1), something must be afoot for this to be the case, though i’d be interested to meet the person who applied and actually landed a job there on the cars :bulb:

Scraggy88:

truckerjimbo:

ETS:

a) car transporter
b) ADR tanker
c) wide/heavy loads

Class 1

ty

Train driver

Pilot

Maybe with the big national airlines, but many aren’t on that good money considering what it costs to get qualified.

ETS:

a) car transporter
b) ADR tanker
c) wide/heavy loads

Class 1

ty

I think with all those jobs, they’ll be some on top pay and many that aren’t.
Petrol tankers used to be a high paid job, when the transport was done by the fuel companies and they were heavily unionised, but de-regulation allowing general haulage companies to take the job, thing might not be quite the same.
I remember the comments on here when the Tanker Drivers went on strike to try and stop that happening, just jealousy that they earned so much and glee that their hard won pay schemes would go.
Strange bunch trucks drivers, wanting those paid better than them to lose money instead of trying to get their pay to match the highest pay in the industry.