Which one of the following pays the most?

muckles:

ETS:
Per hour and total, I understand one will generally tend to be more hours per day/week.

a) car transporter
b) ADR tanker
c) wide/heavy loads

Class 1

ty

I remember the comments on here when the Tanker Drivers went on strike to try and stop that happening, just jealousy that they earned so much and glee that their hard won pay schemes would go.
Strange bunch trucks drivers, wanting those paid better than them to lose money instead of trying to get their pay to match the highest pay in the industry.

Yup, instead of siding with the best paid outfits, as we used to support and back each other on the cars when a player was in dispute, they’d rather see everyone brought down to the national minimum, weird doesn’t begin to describe them :unamused:
I wouldn’t mind but at the time one of the Hoyer lads posted his pay slip and his shift rota for all to see, no way on this earth would i work his rota for the pay.

At one time it was definitely transporters,going back to the 80s Tolemans where on 400 a week just ferrying cars into local storage compounds.
Mortons Car transporters carrying 7 cars, 2 trips to Luton used to earn double what I earned doing nights trunking to Dagenham, from Coventry
What they earn now might not be on the same scale as likes of Stobarts started up in the game and we know what their reputation is

the maoster:
Re car transporters it used to be said that a job driving one for Ford was the Holy Grail of lorry driving, nigh on impossible to get on but obscene amounts of money apparently. Anybody know if this is still the case?

I think it’s still good money, didn’t Fords get taken to court over the way jobs on transporters were allocated.

Why are people saying car transporters are hard (physical) work? It’s not like you have to push the cars onto the thing yourself…right? Is it because the straps are in hard to access places, that’s the one obviously difficult thing I can see. Other than the fact you have to live with half a car dangling in front of your forehead all day…

Rickers:
Wide loads - just depends how wide and where you’re going. I did a wide load job from Fordingbridge to Alton once and the paperwork routed it via Salisbury and A303. Took 4 hours to do a normally hour long journey. Not to mention the 3 hour loading and unloading time. If you end up doing longer routes you could long out the hours as long as you don’t mind driving slow or with an ■■■■■■.

Tanker drivers get paid well but is it worth it? You’re driving a moving bomb, it’s dirty, you can’t take your phone with you and you’ve got to be on the ball 100% of the time.

Car transporters get paid really well but that’s because they have to tramp in low roof cabs, constantly have to measure their height and you’ll be the first one responsible if there’s any damage to the goods.

Where do you get that idea about tanker work?
Firstly, it’s really clean work, as there’s no contact with the products and all equipment needs to be washed down after deliveries.
Secondly, you can have your phone with you. True, you might not be able to use it during deliveries or take it on certain sites, but that only really applies to flammable loads.
Thirdly, moving bomb?? Maybe if you’re carrying explosives, or possibly at a push compressed gas.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thirdly, moving bomb?? Maybe if you’re carrying explosives, or possibly at a push compressed gas.

I take it you don’t do vapour recovery work. ?

m.a.n rules:

I take it you don’t do vapour recovery work. ?

Being a fuel tanker driver, yes I deal with vapour recovery every day. Not using vapour recovery can lead to the tank being put under negative pressure. But seeing as that isn’t a class of ADR, whereas compressed gas is, not sure what point you’re trying to make?

so you think that a tanker full of vapour would not explode in extreme circumstances, i.e tank ruptures in a rtc and a spark occurs ? :open_mouth:

m.a.n rules:
so you think that a tanker full of vapour would not explode in extreme circumstances, i.e tank ruptures in a rtc and a spark occurs ? :open_mouth:

Firstly, that would have to be an extremely fortuitous set of circumstances. Secondly, reread my initial comment. “Maybe if you’re carrying explosives or compressed gas” ie gas under pressure, whether that be positive or negative pressure.

CookieMonster:

m.a.n rules:

Firstly, that would have to be an extremely fortuitous set of circumstances. Secondly, reread my initial comment. “Maybe if you’re carrying explosives or compressed gas” ie gas under pressure, whether that be positive or negative pressure.

I don’t think it would be that fortuitous. :open_mouth:

I think he missed UN out.
no pun intended :wink:

muckles:

CookieMonster:

m.a.n rules:

I don’t think it would be that fortuitous. :open_mouth:

To have a tank split, exactly the right mixture of vapour and air, and some kind if ignition source all at the same place at the same time? You’d have better odd of winning the lottery than that causing an explosion.

To have a tank split, exactly the right mixture of vapour and air, and some kind if ignition source all at the same place at the same time? You’d have better odd of winning the lottery than that causing an explosion.

what a load of bollox :unamused:

youtu.be/OPthZO0fCLg

oh, and by the way its oxygen not air…

Rickers:
Wide loads - just depends how wide and where you’re going. I did a wide load job from Fordingbridge to Alton once and the paperwork routed it via Salisbury and A303. Took 4 hours to do a normally hour long journey. Not to mention the 3 hour loading and unloading time. If you end up doing longer routes you could long out the hours as long as you don’t mind driving slow or with an ■■■■■■.

Tanker drivers get paid well but is it worth it? You’re driving a moving bomb, it’s dirty, you can’t take your phone with you and you’ve got to be on the ball 100% of the time.

Car transporters get paid really well but that’s because they have to tramp in low roof cabs, constantly have to measure their height and you’ll be the first one responsible if there’s any damage to the goods.

Them that pull the caravans, lodges and portakabins don’t hang about. I got overtook by two of them the other day on the m1 near wooley edge, they then decided to go past another 2 or 3 other trucks whilst straddling lanes 2 and 3. Cars are building up behind them and before two are long are trying for seriously dodgy under and over takes.

m.a.n rules:

what a load of bollox :unamused:

youtu.be/OPthZO0fCLg

oh, and by the way its oxygen not air…

So you use a video of a tanker carrying liquefied petroleum gas crashing to prove your point? That tanker was loaded, so ignition becomes a lot easier than if it were empty, and the explosion was as a result of BLEVE (for those unfamiliar here’s an explanation en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling … _explosion ).
And I’m aware it’s oxygen required not air, but since your chances of being in an oxygen rich environment are also ridiculously slim, then I’d still have to say a fortuitous set of circumstances. (And yes, it is fortuitous as unfortuitous isn’t a word. Again, link provided dictionary.com/browse/unfortuitous?s=t )

on fortuitous I was wrong and apoligise,every day is a school day. as for the rest we’ll have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn’t drive a car transporter unless I was on really good money.
I can just imagine being stressed by every low hanging branch wondering if it’s going to smash up the load.
They pay about 1,000 a week around here but expect at least 10 years experience and an impeccable record. Big respect to those huys. They are like the lorry driving elite.

CookieMonster:

Rickers:

Where do you get that idea about tanker work?
Firstly, it’s really clean work, as there’s no contact with the products and all equipment needs to be washed down after deliveries.
Secondly, you can have your phone with you. True, you might not be able to use it during deliveries or take it on certain sites, but that only really applies to flammable loads.

You see that crash with the tanker carrying gin on Thursday? Only a rear shunt from the wagon behind ruptured the tank and spilt its load!!! I don’t drive the tankers myself but when I did my ADR there were a bunch of trainees working for DHL on the tankers who said they were annoyed they had to leave their personal phones in lockers at the depot when going out on deliveries.

Rickers:
I don’t drive the tankers myself but when I did my ADR there were a bunch of trainees working for DHL on the tankers who said they were annoyed they had to leave their personal phones in lockers at the depot when going out on deliveries.

I think that was more because they worked for DHL. They seem to have their own OTT approach to all things Elf’n’Safety. I worked for them for a few years and they even insisted on reverse parking in the employee car park…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
I worked for them for a few years and they even insisted on reverse parking in the employee car park…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Our lot have just implemented this. Doesn’t really affect me as I always reverse park, but apparently it’s to save squashing those morons who amble about the car park with their heads in their phones. I questioned as to how we are supposed to get in the space in the first place if reversing is such a bad thing. No answer was forthcoming.